IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-12, 02:14 PM
eskae3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took mine in today for this and they ran the test that was specified by lexus and apparently they could not replicate the rough idle again so they sent me home with a washed car.
Old 10-21-12, 02:03 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
While this is all true, and while the TSB does cover replacing the shortblock under warranty, the WAB (in Canada at least, I haven't verified the CSP in USA) that extends the warranty to 9-years does NOT cover block replacement. :\

Jeff
Well I am definitely not sure about Canada, but in the US......short block replacement is covered if, and only if, it needs it.
Old 10-22-12, 08:29 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by diagtime
Well I am definitely not sure about Canada, but in the US......short block replacement is covered if, and only if, it needs it.
Yeah I just read through the CSP, they don't talk about the block much, but it is shown in the procedural flow chart.

For Canada:

Specifically, as it relates to this Special Policy Adjustment, the replacement of the Short Block is NOT covered. If there are severe scratches within the cylinders, the cause is due to another issue, outside the scope of this SPA.

On a Case-by-Case basis, Lexus Canada may offer some goodwill assistance. In all of these cases, Pre-Authorization from your Field Warranty Consultant is required, prior to ordering and replacing the Short Block.
Jeff
Old 10-22-12, 08:53 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car is at the dealer getting an engine rebuild right now, the oil consumption test came back and the car was using too much oil while showing up duplicate misfire codes it seems.... got a '13 GS loaner
Old 10-22-12, 11:27 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ nice loaner. I only get another IS or a camry everytime i get a loaner... Also if you haven't done so yet buy the spark plugs and have them throw them in since the motor is all apart will save you some $$ done the line for labor.
Old 10-22-12, 11:35 AM
Mookie254
Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Just spoke to my SA ....

Looks like the rumors about there being a 9 year warranty for the carbon build up issue may no longer be just rumors. He confirmed they are extending the warranty to 9 years/unlimited miles for the Carbon Build up issue through a CSP (Customer Support Program..I believe it was). Letters should be getting mailed out soon to us 250 owners with more details once everything is finalized.

It covers piston replacement and apparently top engine cleans (for those that already have revised pistons) for the 9 years. There's also apparently a revision to how the dealers themselves are supposed to diagnose/recognize the issue, though I couldn't confirm what those revisions might be.

So not a fix, but at least its better than nothing

Will I be getting a letter in the mail as well even though I didn't buy my car from a Lexus dealership?
Old 10-22-12, 11:54 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You guys are lucky. The last two times I had to get a loaner for the day to fix minor issues the Toyota dealership had promised upon purchase. The first time I got a POS Yaris hatch, the second time I got a dented up Camry.
Old 10-22-12, 12:47 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

I used to live in Canada... dealerships are pretty cheap over there lol

Originally Posted by 600rr05
^^ nice loaner. I only get another IS or a camry everytime i get a loaner... Also if you haven't done so yet buy the spark plugs and have them throw them in since the motor is all apart will save you some $$ done the line for labor.
I got my spark plugs done less than 30k miles ago so I think it should be okay Over here, all the dealers I've been to would never put their customers in anything other than a Lexus.
Old 10-22-12, 12:48 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
My car is at the dealer getting an engine rebuild right now, the oil consumption test came back and the car was using too much oil while showing up duplicate misfire codes it seems.... got a '13 GS loaner
Very nice, glad they are taking care of it. That's a nice loaner car to enjoy in the mean time too. I always ask for one, but they never have it. I'm cool with a loaded CT200h i usually get though, gotta love that gas mileage

Originally Posted by Mookie254
Will I be getting a letter in the mail as well even though I didn't buy my car from a Lexus dealership?
You should. I don't know how it works exactly, but from what I understand, notices are sent out to all "registered owners" of the affected vehicles. So as long as your car is registered to you, you should get a notice regardless of where you bought the car. For what its worth though, i still haven't got mine lol (and I did buy from a Lexus dealer)

Originally Posted by sm1ke
You guys are lucky. The last two times I had to get a loaner for the day to fix minor issues the Toyota dealership had promised upon purchase. The first time I got a POS Yaris hatch, the second time I got a dented up Camry.
Are Toyota/Lexus dealerships just under one roof usually in Canada?
Old 10-22-12, 01:22 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

No they aren't, I have two or three separate Lexus dealerships in my city. I just bought my car from the Toyota dealership because it had lower mileage and was $3k cheaper than the exact same car at Lexus with about 8k more kms. When I take my car in for the TSB, I'm taking it to Lexus in hopes that I get a nice loaner lol
Old 10-22-12, 04:07 PM
wastedwil
Driver School Candidate

i never receive a letter and i'm experiencing some rough idle but no check engine light, should i wait for the letter or take it to the dealer?
Old 10-22-12, 04:10 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

got my letter today! finally
Old 10-22-12, 04:18 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wastedwil
i never receive a letter and i'm experiencing some rough idle but no check engine light, should i wait for the letter or take it to the dealer?
Doesn't really hurt to take it into the dealer and mention you are aware of this CSP. As long as your car is covered, you really don't need the letter to get repairs made.
Old 10-24-12, 08:57 AM
maniacbob
Driver

So I went in today for them to look at rough idling issue and oil consumption. They came back after an hour with nothing and sent me back home.

They did though came back to "caution" me that both my CV rear boots need replacing, so basically 2 new rear axles which was going to cause over $2k to fix. Fail.
Old 10-24-12, 01:11 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by maniacbob
So I went in today for them to look at rough idling issue and oil consumption. They came back after an hour with nothing and sent me back home.

They did though came back to "caution" me that both my CV rear boots need replacing, so basically 2 new rear axles which was going to cause over $2k to fix. Fail.
Lol no way, you can get it done much cheaper at any reputable independent mechanic for sure!

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP