IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Shady Dealer = no Is250 :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-12, 10:22 PM
mcastens
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shady Dealer = no Is250 :(

So it's been a roller coaster of days dealing with Lexus of Carlsbad.

We first spotted a 2009 IS250 with NAV CPO for $26000 there and went in, the sales man was very nice and we test drove etc. We noticed that the front grill was cracked and the bumper lip as well, just like all dealers they said they would take care of it prior to purchase. So we went inside to start the paperwork he came back with the price of the car at $28k , I showed him from my phone the autotrader add that showed $26k , he left and then the manager came back and said that was a mistake but they will honor the price but not fix a thing on the vehicle. I told him that all Lexus CPO vehicles should be reconditioned to close to new condition and this is far from it. He mumbled something about getting a grill of eBay and left. Then the sales man came back and said they would repair the grill and do the touch ups and filled out one of the we owe slips with the repairs.

We completed all the paperwork with the finance guy 31k out the door with Tax and 3ys more warranty (ouch it hurt a little). They said come back Tuesday to pick up the car. We left excited To pick up our new car in a few days. Tuesday rolls around and I leave work early and drive 45min up to Carlsbad to pick up the car. We get inside and mr ebay grill manager says "why didn't you call" the cars not ready. I said no one told me to call , he said come back tomorrow. Ok I thought because we were driving a IS loaner.

We come back the next day and are super excited to pick up our newcar, but getting closer to the car we noticed the bumper touch ups have not been done, the car wasn't even clean! The grill was thrown in so half assed that they missed a lower clip and it was popping up with a giant gap and bulge. The bumper alignment was all off with different headlight gaps etc. I proceeded to tell the manager that nothing has been done. He tried to tell me that they didn't say they were going to fix the cracked lip, I told him to check the we owe you slip. He went inside and while hews gone I proceeded to inspect the rest of the car. When I got to the rear quarter panel I noticed a big difference in paint and sanded finish, so I looked a little closer and noticed that the other rear quarter was painted as well.

So now mr eBay manager brought out someone that he called his boss. The guy proceeded to ask me what the issue was and I told him all about the front lip but was now more concerned of the two rear quarters that were painted. He told me they weren't and showed me the vins, I said give me signed paper that these are not painted , measure the paint and giveme the readouts! He started to get very angry and said I'm not signing anything and robotically said there is no structure damage. Then started telling me it's a used car it's going to have things wrong with it. I said I understand but it's a 31k used car that is certified and accordingly to Lexus should be in like new condition. So he said I'm canceling the deal then if your not going to take it, I said I will gladly take it if you sign a paper that these panels are not painted. He said im canceling the deal, at this point I just gave up and said fine. He disappeared for 40 min and then came back and now tried to be nice and say "ok so if we don't fix the bumper I can give you $300 off" I said again"I'm paying 31k to have a like new car". So he kind of ignored the whole back paint thing and just focused on the front and said he would take care and respray the whole front bumper if we take the car. (it looked like the front back and quarters were painted at joes mobile shop, paint drips, overspray on the headlights.

It's getting late and my wife and I are tired and not ready to make that type of decision so I asked if we could take the car home for the night,that it would be smart so we " get to Love the way it looks in our driveway" he thought about it and after a couple of more mins said ok.

We took the car home and first thing in the morning I took it to two different body shops. Both Saying that it was resprayed ( not major accident) but poorly blended. So both gave me a quote of $2k to repaint all bumpers and quarters. We though great no accident we will just request that Lexus Carlsbad just repaint everything to Lexus standards, they have their own collision center. Either that or give us 2k off so that we can do it some where else.

We get to the dealer and proceed to tell the "boss" that two body shops said the quarters were painted and that it's 2k to fix and we want you to just repaint it. We'll take the car but we want to know that a Lexus collision center painted it and not joes bumper repar crap job that's going to flake in three months. He said no we won't do it, it's to expensive. So I said fine just discount it 2k and I'll do it. He said no I'm canceling the deal and within 5 minutes he had the credit card guy re-credit out card.

So end of story no IS for me yet, and I'm sorry for the long rant post but I hope that no one else gets snaked by them! I expected higher from a Company such as Lexus.

Last edited by mcastens; 08-30-12 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-30-12, 10:30 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear you had that kind of experience with Lexus Carlsbad. I personally bought my car there and had 0 issues. They fixed a dent and everything no problem before I took the care home too. It's very disappointing to hear something like this happening to another member!

It's probably for the best that you didn't buy the car though. I think you can get yourself a better deal somewhere else anyway considering those numbers. If i were you I would have just walked away from the deal and not even bought the car home for a night. But glad you got it checked out and were able to see it was repainted. Keep searching for another one that isn't such a headache!
Old 08-30-12, 10:35 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

hey with shady ppl like that you're better off man so don't be some bummed out. 2IS's are a dime a dozen these days. Everyone is either trading in for a F Sport Edition or upgrading to somethin else in the Lexus family. I took 3 months to find my SFP CPO. It was the only one in the state at the time with everything I wanted and I over paid a little bit bc it was CPO but I don't regret it at all. BTW I see that you live in CA so for that price you could find plenty of 350s since you dont need AWD might as well get the extra HP. or if you got more money to throw around pick up a IS F.
Old 08-30-12, 10:59 PM
mcastens
Driver School Candidate

Cool thanks, it was just so hard to let go. We were specifically looking for white on black with NAV, but I'm sure in time another one will pop up.
Old 08-30-12, 11:10 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

yeah I was specifically looking for SFP certified. For some reason at the time I was looking SFP,CPO, with nav,and it was hard to find and anyone I did find was priced more than any other color with the same options or didnt have navi. Good luck with your hunt.
Old 08-30-12, 11:21 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

You have to look at it at their point of view. They probably paid 22K for the car from the auction, spent another grand on repairs, detailing, and advertisements etc etc.

They list the car for 28K hoping to make 5grand off the deal. You come in with an offer of 26K they calculate it 3 grand profit (which is nothing for a used car dealership) they think, we have a serious buyer and to just let the vehicle go. The deal is done! Then you approach them with a 2k in repairs to fix the vehicle, of course they will decline the deal, there is no profit for them in the end of the day.
Old 08-30-12, 11:29 PM
oramos23
Rookie

That some shady ness. For $31k I'd expect everything to be pristine, even if it's a used one.
Old 08-30-12, 11:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

What a mess! The first thing I do when interested in a car is inspect the heck out of it thoroughly. Once a deal starts to be made, coming back with "extras" always messes things up on both sides.
Old 08-30-12, 11:44 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
You have to look at it at their point of view. They probably paid 22K for the car from the auction, spent another grand on repairs, detailing, and advertisements etc etc.

They list the car for 28K hoping to make 5grand off the deal. You come in with an offer of 26K they calculate it 3 grand profit (which is nothing for a used car dealership) they think, we have a serious buyer and to just let the vehicle go. The deal is done! Then you approach them with a 2k in repairs to fix the vehicle, of course they will decline the deal, there is no profit for them in the end of the day.
It should have never been put on the lot anyway with a damaged grill and front lip!
Old 08-30-12, 11:46 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have to say that's a bad dealer and the car should not have been certified. Honestly the government needs to see the dealerships in US because the dealerships don't really do a good job inspecting the cars to certify them and get away with it.

This case is almost like my problem with a US dealership where I was going to sue them. In the end, good news turned out.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...certified.html

That's does not occur in Canada because the the government does oversee the dealerships because if they sell a bad car, the dealership will have to eat it (they get in trouble).
Old 08-31-12, 12:00 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
It should have never been put on the lot anyway with a damaged grill and front lip!

Exactly. It should not have been certified as a matter of fact.
Old 08-31-12, 12:34 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

What do you expect when the dealership's middle name is BAD, ha ha ha ...
Old 08-31-12, 12:50 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep your head up. It took me a year to find mine. AND I had to give up ML to have it. But the deal was too good to pass on. I'm sure you'll find one just the way you want it, if not close to at least.

GL OP
Old 08-31-12, 01:27 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Depends on the parts if its minor cracks I dont see an issue with it being on the lot. Just because a car is certified doesnt mean it is 100% perfect. It is a used vehicle!
Old 08-31-12, 03:59 AM
rogzballz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're bitter because you're so smart and is an educated buyer. Days are getting harder for these salesmen ... Do youhave pictures? Send this to Lexus of North America and tell them this dealership is being shady.

Quick Reply: Shady Dealer = no Is250 :(