IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Shady Dealer = no Is250 :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-12, 07:53 AM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

While you restart your search keep the following in mind. Lexus Carlsbad and Lexus of Escondido are owned by the same individual, Judy Jones-Cone. Check out this 2008 story about how this ownerships acts. http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/...29jenkins.html
Old 08-31-12, 08:16 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you still want the vehicle, you should've complained about this dealership to the Lexus corporate office. It was how I paid the price for a CPO 2008 IS250AWD and got a CPO 2009 IS250AWD back in last yr for $26k out the door. SFP with NAV.
Old 08-31-12, 08:33 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
I would have to say that's a bad dealer and the car should not have been certified. Honestly the government needs to see the dealerships in US because the dealerships don't really do a good job inspecting the cars to certify them and get away with it.

This case is almost like my problem with a US dealership where I was going to sue them. In the end, good news turned out.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...certified.html

That's does not occur in Canada because the the government does oversee the dealerships because if they sell a bad car, the dealership will have to eat it (they get in trouble).
Don't generalize, consumer protection laws are provincial jurisdiction. Quebec has the strongest laws biased towards the consumers, where as Alberta has the weakest. I don't know where BC stands (based on you being in WA). I can tell you that used and new car dealer are governed by associations set up by them to "self regulate" in each of the provinces. Level of protection varies dramatically.

In this case, they called the car CPO, unless they called it Lexus CPO, it only means it is certified at the dealer level (supported by the fact that a 3 year warranty was added to the price). A Lexus CPO would have to be like new condition, and the warranty would have been included in the posted price outright.

I actually had to call out a dealer with Lexus corporate here in the GTA when they tried to pull that stunt on me for a RX330. The dealer then called back with a better offer, but I told them to FOAD.
Old 08-31-12, 08:39 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that's terrible. People like that shouldn't be working for Lexus. On the bright side I'm sure you can find a better deal with a better condition vehicle.
Old 08-31-12, 08:44 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Try going to a different dealer. Ive noticed that some dealers are better than others
Old 08-31-12, 09:42 AM
mcastens
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I understand the when people mention "You are buying a used car", but according to Lexus (I called the corporate office) a dealer should do everything they can to make the car as close to new as possible when making it a CPO.

I think that if this car was a non CPO there would be no question and the dealer didn't have to fix a lip or grill, but the car was a CPO. So it obviously shouldn't of passed in the condition it was, or it should have been reconditioned. this is taken straight from the Lexus website:

"Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles must be in like-new condition. That means using only certified Lexus parts for any necessary mechanical repairs, performing paint and surface restorations to meet Lexus standards, and thoroughly cleaning and detailing each vehicle to bring out its true beauty"

I don't think it says anywhere there that a car can pass with a cracked and chipping bumper and joe's mobile paint job on the whole rear of the car.

Now I do admit to being meticulous (im a web/graphic designer) , it's my job to pay attention to the details and why I opted for a CPO vehicle. In the end all I wanted was the vehicle but up to Lexus CPO standards.

So I am happy/sad that I didn't fold and just give in, and the search continues......
Old 08-31-12, 10:20 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Depends on the parts if its minor cracks I dont see an issue with it being on the lot. Just because a car is certified doesnt mean it is 100% perfect. It is a used vehicle!
A crack in the grill and front lip shouldn't pass CPO inspection. Cars are expected to be refurbished to "like-new" condition. Meaning only a small amount of acceptable wear and tear should be present. Any "damage" should have been fixed if it was being sold as CPO.
Old 08-31-12, 10:32 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
A crack in the grill and front lip shouldn't pass CPO inspection. Cars are expected to be refurbished to "like-new" condition. Meaning only a small amount of acceptable wear and tear should be present. Any "damage" should have been fixed if it was being sold as CPO.
Again there is some variability on what the dealer is selling. A CPO'd Lexus or a Lexus CPO'd Lexus. A dealer can chose to sell either, they just need to disclose what they are selling and under what terms. A Lexus CPO'd Lexus is sold under Lexus' terms as posted on the Lexus.com for Lexus.ca web sites. A CPO'd Lexus is sold under the dealer's terms as set forth by them, which is basically no different than any other used car dealer, that just happens to also be a Lexus dealer.
Old 08-31-12, 10:36 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Again there is some variability on what the dealer is selling. A CPO'd Lexus or a Lexus CPO'd Lexus. A dealer can chose to sell either, they just need to disclose what they are selling and under what terms. A Lexus CPO'd Lexus is sold under Lexus' terms as posted on the Lexus.com for Lexus.ca web sites. A CPO'd Lexus is sold under the dealer's terms as set forth by them, which is basically no different than any other used car dealer, that just happens to also be a Lexus dealer.
Lexus dealers here don't sell "dealer CPO'd" cars. They only sell Lexus Certified Pre-Owned cars. To be sold as such, it has to meet the standards set forth by Lexus, and gets the 3yr/100k warranty. I understand what you are talking about with dealer CPO'd, but i've never seen that here at a Lexus dealership. I'm not even sure if Lexus dealers here in the US are even allowed to sell cars that way.
Old 08-31-12, 10:51 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Lexus dealers here don't sell "dealer CPO'd" cars. They only sell Lexus Certified Pre-Owned cars. To be sold as such, it has to meet the standards set forth by Lexus, and gets the 3yr/100k warranty. I understand what you are talking about with dealer CPO'd, but i've never seen that here at a Lexus dealership. I'm not even sure if Lexus dealers here in the US are even allowed to sell cars that way.
Lexus dealers that sell used cars are free to sell any car they chose, any restrictions Lexus Corp makes on the used side of the business would be challenged by the FTC and in court. I have personal experience with a Lexus dealer trying to misrepresent a car as Lexus CPO when in fact it wasn't, they even put the Lexus CPO plates on them. Lexus Corporate agreed with my position and ensured they have the Lexus dealer come back with that clarification and provide an attractive offer. I just happened to tell them off. Some Lexus dealers are using the Lexus CPO trademark to sell cars that they have not put through the Lexus CPO process and inspection.

Edit:

Most dealer's used car side of the business is also registered as a different legal entity, even if operating under the same name. When buying a Lexus CPO, you have some recourse with Lexus Corporate. When buying a CPO Lexus, beside the original manufacturer warranty and/or additional Lexus warranties sold with the car, you have no legal recourse with Lexus Corporate.

Last edited by My0gr81; 08-31-12 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-31-12, 07:54 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Don't generalize, consumer protection laws are provincial jurisdiction. Quebec has the strongest laws biased towards the consumers, where as Alberta has the weakest. I don't know where BC stands (based on you being in WA). I can tell you that used and new car dealer are governed by associations set up by them to "self regulate" in each of the provinces. Level of protection varies dramatically.

In this case, they called the car CPO, unless they called it Lexus CPO, it only means it is certified at the dealer level (supported by the fact that a 3 year warranty was added to the price). A Lexus CPO would have to be like new condition, and the warranty would have been included in the posted price outright.

I actually had to call out a dealer with Lexus corporate here in the GTA when they tried to pull that stunt on me for a RX330. The dealer then called back with a better offer, but I told them to FOAD.
I'm not sure if they are provincial or not, but lets assume BC because I am from there (which is why I list two locations) if it is. My friend of mine said something similar but nothing about provincial. For one thing, Canada is stricter as opposed to US.

CPO also would imply that the car could not have been in any collisions as well.
Old 08-31-12, 08:26 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
I'm not sure if they are provincial or not, but lets assume BC because I am from there (which is why I list two locations) if it is. My friend of mine said something similar but nothing about provincial. For one thing, Canada is stricter as opposed to US.

CPO also would imply that the car could not have been in any collisions as well.
Here is a link MVSABC, basically a self governing regulating body (i.e. biased towards its members) for British Colombia. The consumer laws are still buyer beware, but dealers are able to keep gov. controls at bay by claiming to be regulated through an "independent authority". Regardless of the fact that the authority is funded by dealers and operated by industry insiders.

http://www.mvsabc.com/

Last edited by My0gr81; 08-31-12 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-31-12, 08:32 PM
two2tone
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shady shady... what goes around comes around... I hope they get what they deserve...