IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Did I get scammed by the dealer ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 10:24 PM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I get scammed by the dealer ??

So I reported to my dad that the brakes have been squealing a lot lately, especially after I've been driving a while and they have had time to warm up. Even when trying to park slowly they squealed extremely loud. So my dad brings the car into the dealership but I had to be somewhere so I wasn't there with him. He called me later that the car apparently needed new rotors, calipers, and brake pads and it costed $900 for everything. He went ahead and ordered the job done without talking to me I was immediately surprised cause I'm pretty sure the car only needed new pads (car was still on its first set at 57k miles and EXTREMELY babied). Does Lexus normally replace rotors and calipers when new pads are needed?

My dad requested that they put in the low-dust brake pads since I've been complaining about the dust for moooonths. I checked the invoice and they put in new pads, disks, and calipers, as well as did shimming. The pad kit installed is labeled 04007-35153. Doesn't that include the dusty brake pads??
*Edit* The dealership insisted that the IS250 only comes with the dusty "high performance" brake pads so I guess I'll bring the part # to them tomorrow -_-

Also they kept my car from Saturday noon till Monday night. Dunno if that's normal but everything together has gotten me kinda frustrated

Last edited by Snyperifle; 08-13-12 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 10:41 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Was there any cracks or leakage from your calipers? As for your brakes if the pads were low that pin is gonna scratch up your rotors, in some cases it could be resurfaced but if its pretty warped nowadays most mechanics just replace them. You're getting work done at the stealership, your parts is supplied with OEM parts from the stealership so you can bet your services is gonna cost a arm and a ********. They gotta make money somewhere to pay for the fancy lounge with the big tv, massage chairs, fancy couches and frappuccino maker.
Old 08-13-12, 10:47 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

LoL ^^^^^^^^ I don't think dealer will resurface rotor they just replace them....
Old 08-13-12, 10:48 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Man you sure got ripped off... well your dad got ripped off, not you.
Old 08-13-12, 10:55 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slixx
Man you sure got ripped off... well your dad got ripped off, not you.
Yup thats almost half way to a big brake kit setup
Old 08-13-12, 11:01 PM
Snyperifle
Pole Position

Nooo I clean the wheels often (so much brake dust :/) and the calipers looked fine. My steering wheel didn't shake at all under hard braking, if that's a good way to tell if a rotor is warped anyways. The loud squealing start like 2 weeks ago but I just thought it was a sign that the pads were starting to go.

Yea my dad paid (lucky me) but I'm still frustrated at the dealership
Old 08-13-12, 11:24 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

man is everyones dads paying for ther 2IS nowadays? Some other guy just posted a thread aobut getting a speeding ticket and worried his dad is gonna whoops his a**. I would go down to the stealership and take a look at all of your parts then if you're really concerned and have them show you why each part had to be replaced.
Old 08-13-12, 11:41 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

My car makes that same noise. I've had it as long as I can remember. It has disappeared at times, but it always seems to come back in my case. When I had my brake pads replaced, the noise disappeared, but here I am with plenty of life on my pads and they are squeaking to this day. It's really annoying/embarrassing when I am braking towards a light or as I'm parking. But I've learned to live with it /: Anyone else experience it and have any input?
Old 08-14-12, 12:22 AM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldn't say you got scammed. Did you get the best price for the job performed. Probably not.. but that goes hand in hand when you take your car to dealer service.
Old 08-14-12, 05:47 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok they totally raped your dad....caliper changing at 60k that's crazy...brakes n rotors maybe but all that....that advisor n tech just got a bonus for that easy job
Old 08-14-12, 06:15 AM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 with ISCjonny.

I may be playing devil's advocate, but it's not entirely possible that you may have needed those calipers/pads/rotors replaced. You may have not. It's difficult to tell because your dad jumped ship and just did what the dealer said instead of having them explain it to him. It's incredibly kind that your dad took care of the bill, but next time, take your own car in for service for your peace of mind.

What dealership was this in TX? If you are unhappy with your service, than you need to go to them and complain. You need to ask them what the hell happened. Dealerships make a living off people that don't ask questions.

Sleekbrian, my brakes started to screech loudly a while back. Wasn't the brake pads or rotors.... turned out I just needed to replace my shims and use some brake quiet grease. They haven't made a noise since. I hope this wasn't the case for the OP... that would be a real shame that a $30 fix turned into a $900 one.
Old 08-14-12, 06:17 AM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleekbrian
My car makes that same noise. I've had it as long as I can remember. It has disappeared at times, but it always seems to come back in my case. When I had my brake pads replaced, the noise disappeared, but here I am with plenty of life on my pads and they are squeaking to this day. It's really annoying/embarrassing when I am braking towards a light or as I'm parking. But I've learned to live with it /: Anyone else experience it and have any input?
Try to regrease your breaks. I did this and it stopped the squeaks.
Old 08-14-12, 07:31 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same issue with my 350 brakes. I installed new OEM low dust brake pads and bye bye squealing.
Old 08-14-12, 07:57 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suggest for you to ask them what the minimum rotor thickness measurement is before replacement is needed, and what your measurement was. Normally your rotor measurement would have been written on the repair order by the tech that measured it to verify that it was low. If it was low, then they did the right thing, if it wasn't low, then you can ask them why suggested to replace them if only pads were needed.
Old 08-14-12, 08:31 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear but I doubt you needed the entire brakes done. This is unfortunate and he should have asked you if he didn't know much.

Quick Reply: Did I get scammed by the dealer ??