awesome22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i should get my old BMW back from my mom LOL
Old 08-13-12, 10:02 PM
CLIS250
Pole Position

test drive another 250 rwd from a local dealer or even a used one, and compare it to that! stock suspension on the 2IS felt soft IMO. But just test drive another just to be sure, no harm in that.
Old 08-13-12, 10:35 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do lots to soften up the ride, smaller wheels with larger tires will help. Softer shocks would help.

Getting a software ride
Old 08-14-12, 01:12 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 155 Likes on 91 Posts

Check your tire pressure (I can't believe no one has mentioned this)!! Dealers are nitorious for overinflating tires on new and used cars. This can make a huge difference with the ride. Or if it tests out to normal specs, you can let a little air out for relief. Be cautioned though that your tires will wear out a bit faster and you lose some handling precision. Might be worth it for you though if your back is killing you.
Old 08-14-12, 04:32 AM
Duke02
Driver

I think biggest bang for your buck is going to be smaller rims and taller sidewall. As said, the Conti DWS will give you a much better ride as well.
Old 08-14-12, 05:34 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Check your tire pressure (I can't believe no one has mentioned this)!! Dealers are nitorious for overinflating tires on new and used cars. This can make a huge difference with the ride. Or if it tests out to normal specs, you can let a little air out for relief. Be cautioned though that your tires will wear out a bit faster and you lose some handling precision. Might be worth it for you though if your back is killing you.
Yes it could be as simple as adjusting the tire pressures. I dropped mine to 30 psi on the fronts because my Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT tires have really stiff sidewalls. Ride is now perfect. The optimum range is only about 2 psi though. If you go too low the tires don't absorb bumps well and the steering feels heavy. Also note that the pressures can increase about 5 psi with a rise in temp and from driving, which is noticeable and you will have to account for this. So I have a gauge and foot pump to adjust my tire pressures at home.
Old 08-14-12, 05:53 AM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, this is new. Someone who wants new tires, but they want big ole tires instead of rubber bands. I'm scared what you would think of a lot of our cars rideability. Haha!

So you say you went to the dealer and test drove one of their vehicles and still was unimpressed with the ride smoothness? While yes, dealers are notorious for overinflating tires, which causes a rough ride, this leads me to believe you simply bought the wrong vehicle alltogether. The 2IS is an "sport", entry level Lexus vehicle. Their ride quality is not going to be as smooth as say, a ES/LS. Have you tried driving an ES? I feel you would be more comfortable in something such as that. I've driven an ES and the ride quality is incredibly smooth... but to me it's devoid of any kind of road feel.

It could be perhaps you bought this a little too much on a whim before considering ALL of your options.

Go to your local discount tire and see if they have any used tires in the spec that previous members have mentioned. Try those out... if that doesn't tickle your fancy, then, like said, you must have bought the wrong car.

Good luck.
Old 08-14-12, 06:27 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
I opened this thread expecting some mechanical issues or cosmetic damage. I'm assuming you bought the first IS you test drove. I would definitely get ur wheels rebalanced and maybe a better set of tires. I thought the IS was one of the most comfortable cars I've driven.
Same here.

I don't understand how someone purchases a car then says I don't like the ride? Seems like this purchase was not analyzed well before you took the keys. I must have drove 6 or 7 different IS350's before I decided I was going to get this car. Researched it for years as well. If it were me, and the ride was that bad I would just get a new car, compared to a BMW 3 series the lexus IS series ride quality is much better. My opinion.
Old 08-14-12, 06:48 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This isn't a BMW. New car and new ride. I'd only do a tire pressure check. Who wants to buy new tires? I'd say it is what it is in your case. Do you always make long trips? Just enjoy your new ride or trade it in for an older persons car, an ES350
Old 08-14-12, 07:00 AM
ChaseRaz
Driver School Candidate

I agree^ If he doesn't want to mod (obviously), then maybe this car isn't right for u, in my opinion the is250 is kinda rough but it the cheapest car they make.. its more of a sporty mod up look good car not a smooth riding (grandma) car.. with out changing a bunch of crap like rims, tiers, shocks, whatever u still might not even get the "smooth ride you want" I came from a 2011 jeep wrangler all jacked up an everything, so the is250 feels like I'm in a cloud.
Old 08-14-12, 07:05 AM
Hoac
Pole Position

Almost sounds like its got coils on it with the dampening turned all the way up. My stock shocks felt like butter, but I only had them on for maby 2k miles.
Old 08-14-12, 07:31 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change new tires please. I changed tires several times they make big different..
Old 08-14-12, 07:37 AM
TheRusski
Rookie

Yep its just an IS for you man, I went from same bmw myself and i do noticed a that bmw was absorbing bumps alot better
Old 08-14-12, 07:49 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

wah wah wahhhhhhh

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just purchased 09 Lexus IS250 with regrets - HELP