IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Charging System Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14, 09:10 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Charging System Warning Light

So yesterday, my charging system warning light in the gauge cluster randomly came on in my '06 IS350. I got up this morning to mess with it and naturally the light is still staying on. The battery is about 3 weeks old and tests to 12.8v, all connections have good contact, the car runs 100% fine, all electronics function properly (i.e. nothing cuts out, no dimming, etc.) and with everything turned on, the alternator tests to 14.1v .

So I'm wondering why the light is even on. The battery is brand new, the alternator is pumping the requisite amount of power and everything is functioning fine. The only thing that has been done to it lately was new tires and alignment Monday. Any input?

Last edited by Tungstn-IS; 02-08-14 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-08-14, 05:14 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery to reset everything; let it sit for at least 15 minutes after disconnecting. Reconnect and then do for a drive as you normally would, so the car can re-learn your driving style.

See if that helps. Any CELs?
Old 02-09-14, 10:00 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Well, I went out this morning to try a figure out what's going on and it went away. I'm not sure what that was all about, it never began to act up or lose charge...
Old 02-09-14, 01:45 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Well, hope it was a phantom warning light.
Old 02-09-14, 03:45 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

I do as well. I only drove it about 1/4 mile once the light came on and immediately went to testing it. Everything checked out so hopefully that is yhe case.
Old 02-26-14, 09:01 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the same issue. but my light comes on and off whenever it wants to. i drove an hour yesterday and 30 minutes into the drive the light came on and stayed on. then my amp stopped getting power and went into protection mode. it neever turned back on. i checked all the wiring on the amp and its fine. so i know its not the amp causing all the issues.
The battery was just changed two days ago. its brand new, i figured once i changed the battery the issue would stop but it is just less often. my car shut off while i was driving at 40mph three days ago i dont know what to do.
Old 02-26-14, 10:12 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rayac88
had the same issue. but my light comes on and off whenever it wants to. i drove an hour yesterday and 30 minutes into the drive the light came on and stayed on. then my amp stopped getting power and went into protection mode. it neever turned back on. i checked all the wiring on the amp and its fine. so i know its not the amp causing all the issues.
The battery was just changed two days ago. its brand new, i figured once i changed the battery the issue would stop but it is just less often. my car shut off while i was driving at 40mph three days ago i dont know what to do.
Check all of your ground connections.
Old 02-26-14, 10:16 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

all? where should i start from? thats a ton of ground connections.
Old 02-26-14, 10:23 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Start at the battery,chasing down electrical is a pain thats why it cost so much at the dealer. Check the alternator connections too. Take off the neg connection at the battery and clean it good.
Old 02-27-14, 09:02 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jgr7
Start at the battery,chasing down electrical is a pain thats why it cost so much at the dealer. Check the alternator connections too. Take off the neg connection at the battery and clean it good.
The alternator connection is great advise. I've seen them come loose causing these same type of problems(Take it this was on other cars not the IS).
Old 02-28-14, 12:21 AM
rayac88
Pole Position

strange in the timing of it. my alternator is less than a year old. so maybe when it was swapped they messed up. ill look around and report back in case anyone else runs into this.
Old 02-28-14, 05:53 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rayac88
strange in the timing of it. my alternator is less than a year old. so maybe when it was swapped they messed up. ill look around and report back in case anyone else runs into this.
Where did you get the alternator? Some remanufactured alternators have a frequent tendency to spit the bit prematurely.
Old 03-07-14, 06:27 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

in the process of working on a solution. my fuse block assembly blew last week. car wouldnt start but the gauge turned on. lexus changed the main block and i changed the battery but the charge light is still coming on randomly. i bought a multimeter and when the light came on i popped the hood open and it was reading 12.8 on the battery posts then fluctuated up to 13.4 and when i went back in the car the battery light was off. it goes through random surges. i unplugged all my extra accessories in the car not to drain the battery excessively. i was told the clutch on the alternator can become loose and start spinning freely so i may have to change the alternator.
Old 03-08-14, 11:44 AM
jusclark13
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW I have a 06 IS350 and my light came on and randomly went off for a few days. Took it to autozone while it was on and they said it had weak charge. Called local Lexus dealer and they tried to tell me the IS's alternators are some of the best and basically don't go out and he has never seen one ever fail. Well my car changed that cuz both my water pump and alternator needed replaced. Thank god for a warranty. Don't know if his helps or not but my suggestion would be the alternator is the cause, especially if u recently replaced battery.
Old 03-10-14, 08:53 PM
rayac88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jusclark13
FWIW I have a 06 IS350 and my light came on and randomly went off for a few days. Took it to autozone while it was on and they said it had weak charge. Called local Lexus dealer and they tried to tell me the IS's alternators are some of the best and basically don't go out and he has never seen one ever fail. Well my car changed that cuz both my water pump and alternator needed replaced. Thank god for a warranty. Don't know if his helps or not but my suggestion would be the alternator is the cause, especially if u recently replaced battery.
It's definitely the alternator. I put a multimeter on it and dc voltage is riding 12.8 then bounces around 13.5. I think I started hearing whining today as I started the car so now I know I only have a day or two to get it replaced. Just got this alternator 1.25 years ago. Hope this isn't frequent. My car hasn't hit 100k miles yet.

Quick Reply: Charging System Warning Light