IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mark Levinson Sound System hurt my ears

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-12, 11:11 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to be too big of a jerk or pick a fight , but this is likely because the Bose system in your Infinity is one of the most over-hyped, overrated audio system ever produced...along with anything else Bose makes.

They are extremely cheap and inaccurate (paper cones). Bose does not publish their frequency responses for a reason. There are massive gaps in their frequency response. AKA...they completely eliminate a good portion of what's supposed to be reproduced by the speaker. For example, the subs produce ~50-130Hz, while their mid rage will produce 200-2,000Hz....what happens between 130 and 200Hz? Simply gone.

On the high end, their tweeters can't produce everything on the audio track. Right now its hurting your ears...but you're actually just hearing things that the Bose system was not physically capable of producing.

You've unfortunately become trained to listen and enjoy poor audio quality. Give the ML some time....you'll learn to appreciate and enjoy hearing all of the music the artist intended for you to hear.
Old 08-07-12, 12:28 PM
linus73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the ML system hurts your ears, you definitely dont wanna sit in my ride, it might make your heart skip a beat. lol
Old 08-07-12, 01:10 PM
Herofmine
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Andoskyy
Not trying to be too big of a jerk or pick a fight , but this is likely because the Bose system in your Infinity is one of the most over-hyped, overrated audio system ever produced...along with anything else Bose makes.

They are extremely cheap and inaccurate (paper cones). Bose does not publish their frequency responses for a reason. There are massive gaps in their frequency response. AKA...they completely eliminate a good portion of what's supposed to be reproduced by the speaker. For example, the subs produce ~50-130Hz, while their mid rage will produce 200-2,000Hz....what happens between 130 and 200Hz? Simply gone.

On the high end, their tweeters can't produce everything on the audio track. Right now its hurting your ears...but you're actually just hearing things that the Bose system was not physically capable of producing.

You've unfortunately become trained to listen and enjoy poor audio quality. Give the ML some time....you'll learn to appreciate and enjoy hearing all of the music the artist intended for you to hear.
+1
I had infiniti and nissan's with bose system, and let me tell you this i think bose is worst oem sound system ever build.
Old 08-07-12, 01:59 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Herofmine
+1
I had infiniti and nissan's with bose system, and let me tell you this i think bose is worst oem sound system ever build.
If you check the AVSForums, I believe you may find a lot of bashing on Bose!
Old 08-07-12, 02:03 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
If u want ill trade u my regular system for ur ML lol
Haha I was just about to say the same
Old 08-07-12, 02:05 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sango
If you check the AVSForums, I believe you may find a lot of bashing on Bose!
+1

check any audio enthusiast website and they'll bash Bose.
Old 08-07-12, 09:49 PM
Jake
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ML and I do too notice that it really hurts my ears at time! I feel the same way you do (original post.)
Old 08-16-12, 02:42 PM
balanced
Driver

Originally Posted by Sango
There is a debate on it, it depends on the implementation and so forth.

Actually, that's not what I'm saying. I am saying Harmon Industries (I mistaken it as Harmon Kardon, but both are divisions) is the parent if I understand it correctly, that's what I'm referring to HK owns ML which should of been HI. Of course Lexus drives like a Lexus, unless you mean Toyota Motor Corporation which is the parent (instead of Toyota), then we have a difference in meaning. In terms of the car to the receiver they are almost similar but on the same level of playing field, ML comes out on top as the clear distinction.

You're not the only one that gets paid to write high-end systems audio reviews for magazines before they released (or should I say NDA). In fact, my co-worker reviews and publish stuff for even higher end systems than worth almost close to 100K and over and gets to keep some of the stuff. The same co-worker goes to CES and stuff and also shown me what he has given.
I wasn't going to call you out on the whole HK HI thing, I knew what you meant. Just like I'm sure you knew what I meant when I said Toyota as opposed to TMC......

I'm not the only one who reveiwed stereo equipmennt? really? gosh I though I was -- and he must be the only one that goes to CES too.... to bad your co-worker didn't make the statement I was talking about.... but then again, I'm not sure what he has to do with this conversation... "Higher End" systems "higher end" than what? Higher end than my PASS Labs X-1 PASS 350 monos, Revel Salons, a modified Muse Model 9 Signature, Magnum Dynalab MD-102, Revel LE1 monos and dual subs, with Shunata, Discovery and Synergistic Reaseach cables? Do you even know what any of this stuff is. Go ask your friend. This total of everything was around $120k, but hey that was mine, NOT what I was reviewing.

Once again, beauty is in the ear of the beholder.... if you like the sound great, if you dont and it bothers you enough, change it.
Old 08-16-12, 02:44 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

btw i noticed it was the genre of music i was listening to. trance / electronic dance music
sound system sounds great listening to other genres like r&b and pop
Old 08-16-12, 02:51 PM
balanced
Driver

That makes perfect sense, a lot of times those recording are "hot" or have a lot of high end so the sounds dosen't get lost in the open air (big dance halls or warehouses where it takes alot of power to "fill" the area). Regarless, Im glad you figured it out. Enjoy!
Old 08-16-12, 03:13 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by balanced
I wasn't going to call you out on the whole HK HI thing, I knew what you meant. Just like I'm sure you knew what I meant when I said Toyota as opposed to TMC......

I'm not the only one who reveiwed stereo equipmennt? really? gosh I though I was -- and he must be the only one that goes to CES too.... to bad your co-worker didn't make the statement I was talking about.... but then again, I'm not sure what he has to do with this conversation... "Higher End" systems "higher end" than what? Higher end than my PASS Labs X-1 PASS 350 monos, Revel Salons, a modified Muse Model 9 Signature, Magnum Dynalab MD-102, Revel LE1 monos and dual subs, with Shunata, Discovery and Synergistic Reaseach cables? Do you even know what any of this stuff is. Go ask your friend. This total of everything was around $120k, but hey that was mine, NOT what I was reviewing.

Once again, beauty is in the ear of the beholder.... if you like the sound great, if you dont and it bothers you enough, change it.
I only mentioned him because you said you decided to call me out about the "ridiculous". If you knew what I meant than maybe you wouldn't of typed it in a fashion which I found it offending that I called you out in response.

Actually I know a brief high level aspect of what they are since I am on AVSForums. Also the co-worker translated these high-end stuff into IT terms and language to what it meant since we are in the same field with different expertise months ago. I was unaware he was actually a reviewer until he mentioned it and started mentioning and showing high end stuff and the some of the technical details of them etc... which caught my interest.

The funny thing he is told me that his own 80K 2 channel system outperform his own friend's 400K system (he describes as the worst sounding expensive system he has ever heard) because he does not have a good idea about sound. Needs to change his amps to much more powerful and a less impedance sensitive topology...or change his speakers to a more impedance and efficient model to address it. I believe he has another system more expensive but it's a mix and match of his own + the long term loan stuff to play with. Also added that spending a lot of money on an expensive system doesn't necessarily equate to better quality, depending on the equipment used and other factors etc...

Last edited by Sango; 08-17-12 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-16-12, 03:26 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Music reproduction should be crisp and clean, so I'm guessing that by "sharp" you mean that the tweeters are too bright? Did you turn your treble down and notice a difference? If that doesn't help, perhaps fade slightly to the rear and see if that makes them a little quieter. As for factory systems, I haven't heard many that I care for. They don't send a flat signal to the amp, but rather one that is tuned based on what they believe the average person wants to hear. One of the first things I did was to change out the speakers, add a sub and amps, and eventually pull the factory HU completely. Unfortunately, there is little tuning that can be done to a factory stereo.
Old 04-02-13, 02:30 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

so i figured out it was hurting my ears when "surround sound" was set to "on"
when i turn it off, problem solved. just wanted to give an update.
Old 04-02-13, 03:16 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

was it the center speaker giving you problems?
Old 04-02-13, 03:18 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

not really sure just know when surround is on, the quality of sound is very sharp to the ears.
surround off fixed the issue. i found out about this in another section of the forums with guys complaining about same issue
plenty of guys in other sections (not owning 2nd gen is) knew about this but no one here seemed to know so i wanted to bring it up