IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2011 is350 steering failure caused accident can anyone help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-12, 02:44 AM
Autolinks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 is350 steering failure caused accident can anyone help.

Hello
-
Thank you for taking time to read this post, I am reaching out to fellow Lexus owners for support, advice, or suggestions in how to handle this matter.

If you are able to read through this fully and provide any type of help in this matter for me, please contact me VIA EMAIL Auto.links@hotmail.com

If you are unable to help, I hope you will consider this seriously as I am currently an extremely UNHAPPY CUSTOMER of Toyota Canada.

My name is John Ng from Toronto, Ontario. I currently am leasing a 2011 IS350 F SPORT. The vehicle is approximately 9 months old as I picked up the vehicle late last year. The vehicle has followed ALL scheduled maintenance, is very well maintained on my end (i.e. premium gas, oil/tire levels checked regularly, showroom condition clean, etc.) as I always take care of my vehicles. The vehicle has been modified in terms of a TEIN coilover system and HKS exhaust which as installed at Lexus on the Park by a Lexus technician.

On Monday July 16th 2012 while running some of my errands mid day in the middle of our heat wave afternoon (40+ temperature) I noticed that the steering was not very responsive once or twice during the day while driving at low speed (under approximately 30KM/H turning) as I would turn the wheel the appropriate amount to make a 90 degree turn, the vehicle would continue going straight as if I did not turn the wheel at all. I had to slow to almost a complete stop and then the steering would return. I did not think anything serious of it as it would recover to normal operation on my the rest of my route throughout the day as I was on the road for a couple hours in the afternoon. Again the weather and road condition was extremely hot, sunny, and dry.

Later in the day (approximately 7PM) I was exiting the highway (Don Valley Parkway) exiting Don Mills South. As I slowed down to enter the ramp at speed of approximately 60KM/H which is U shaped, I proceeded half way through the ramp normally and as I continued to negotiate the turn the vehicle steering STOPPED responding once again and I found myself going STRAIGHT through the off ramp. I then applied the brakes and very luckily went straight over the curb and directly into a metal sign post which stopped me from going into oncoming traffic.

Attached is an image indicating the scene of the accident and where the failure occured.

As the vehicle drove over the curb and went head on into the sign it completely stopped the vehicle. I am very fortunate as there WAS a vehicle on the opposing side of the sign as this occurred during rush hour traffic!!!!!!!! Needless to say I WAS SCARED for my life as I could see the other driver was as well. They pulled over to see if I was okay and proceeded. I obviously felt like an idiot as police and fire trucks came and the vehicle was unable to be driven and had to be towed away. A police report was filed, I explained to the officer exactly what happened and he was extremely understanding. He suggested the lowered suspension could have something to do with the steering not responding (again the vehicle has TEIN coilovers on it) but this was installed approximately 3 months ago by a Lexus mechanic. No charges were laid.

Running through my head I thought to myself: How could this happen to me, that I could not negotiate this turn, I first thought that there was something wrong with my turn. The vehicle was then towed to my local body shop where I then went home to sulk as I still could not understand how the vehicle did not handle through the turn. The tow truck driver estimated over $10000 in damages as the vehicle underbody was damaged (from what we could see, oil pan, sub frame, steering rack). He also mentioned that something like this claimed through insurance would be considered an at-fault accident as it would seem I basically drove into a pole.

My friend with me suggested I see if this is something that could have occurred before and I decided to do a quick Google search. To my surprise I found on numerous forums and sites this EXACT steering problem has occured on previous model IS350 years. HOW COULD THIS STILL NOT HAVE BEEN FIXED??

(Tuesday June 17 2012) I called Toyota Canada to report the problem. The customer service lady was very helpful in taking my call and stating this matter is very serious. She said the vehicle had to be towed immediately to one of their dealers for inspection. I thought this is a relief maybe they know about this problem, and they hopefully will take care of this for me. The vehicle was immediately towed to Lexus on the Park which is where the vehicle has been brought for all service. I also called my insurance agent, requesting if I should get into a rental. He suggested that if Toyota is going to step up to the plate here and they know this is a problem with their vehicle not to open a claim, as we all know any insurance claims made there are deductibles and will affect my future rates. I have other means of transportation so I agreed thinking this would hopefully be resolved quickly.

2 weeks pass by. June 30 I email the manager at Lexus Canada who has been handling my case. She happens to be out of the office. She calls me the next day with the results of the technician's visit to inspect my vehicle. She told me that they had downloaded the information from my vehicle's black box, and there was only one error code with the steering fail: because of the accident!!!!!!! The accident ONLY HAPPENED because the steering failed!!!!!!!! She also said they were unable to do any further tests because of the condition of the vehicle, they were unable to do a road test (OBVIOUSLY THE CAR WAS JUST CRASHED) and they could not do any further tests. She then suggested that it would be ideal to contact my insurance company as there were no faults with the vehicle and that Toyota Canada would not be responsible for any of the damages. I mentioned the prior occurrences to her with this model and she mentioned that the steering components for 2011 have all been replaced with "new" parts and that that could not be the cause.

Here are other cases I found - they are all referenced from one site but I have also cross referenced them on other sites for validity.

http://car-and-safety.com/lexus-is-2...1.htm#STEERING

LEXUS IS 250 2011 Safety Review #10418821

LEXUS IS 250 2011 car safety problem was reported on Apr 01, 2011.LEXUS IS 250 2011, manufactured by TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION had a problem with STEERING . INTERMITTENT PROBLEM - CAR OCCASIONALLY PULLS TO EITHER SIDE, RIGHT OR LEFT, WHEN APPLYING BRAKES. A VIDEO RECORDING OF THE LATEST INCIDENT, WHICH OCCURRED ON 7/29/11, SHOWING THE STEERING WHEEL SPINNING 90 DEGREES TO THE LEFT WHEN BRAKES WERE APPLIED AT A SPEED OF APPROXIMATELY 10 MPH WHILE DRIVING ON THE GRAND CENTRAL PARKWAY IN QUEENS, NEW YORK IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST. THE PROBLEM WAS REPORTED TO LEXUS CORPORATE AND BROUGHT TO LEXUS OF QUEENS (NEW YORK CITY) FOR CORRECTION ON 7/19/11. SINCE THE TECHNICIAN WAS UNABLE TO DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM, IT WAS DETERMINED THAT, "VEHICLE IS OPERATING AS DESIGNED." I CAN NOT, WITH COMPLETE CERTAINTY, STATE THAT THE BRAKES ARE CAUSING THE PROBLEM. HOWEVER, AN ASE-CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN, WHEN THE PROBLEM WAS DESCRIBED TO HIM OFFERED HIS OPINION. HE WROTE, "WHEN A VEHICLE PULLS EITHER WAY THE POSSIBLE PROBLEMS ARE NO FLUID PRESSURE GETTING TO OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE PULLING, A FROZEN OR STICKING CALIPER OR PARTLY COLLAPSED FLEX HOSE ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE PULLING. THE ABS AND/OR TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM MIGHT NOT BE ALLOWING PRESSURE TO THE BRAKE CALIPER. THERE ALSO COULD BE AIR TRAPPED IN THE SYSTEM." ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION WILL BE MAILED TO NHTSA. UPDATED 08-29-11 *BF UPDATED 10/17/11 UPDATED 02/07/12.0 person(s) were injured. 0 person(s) died.Mileage was 24 miles. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):JTHFF2C27B2. LEXUS IS 250 2011 problem was reported in WOODSIDE, NY. Vehicle was not using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. Vehicle was not using Cruise Control. Vehicle had 6 CYLINDERS. LEXUS IS 250 2011 drive type:RWD. FUEL SYSTEM:Fuel injection. FUEL TYPE: GAS. VEHICLE SPEED: 15 mph. DEALER'S NAME: LEXUS OF QUEENS .

LEXUS IS 250 2011 Safety Review #10430021

LEXUS IS 250 2011 car safety problem was reported on Oct 02, 2011.LEXUS IS 250 2011, manufactured by TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION had a problem with STEERING . DROVE OVER GRAVEL ON ROAD, THEN STEERING COLUMN FROZE UP. WHEN BROUGHT TO LEXUS THEY SAID ALL THE ELECTRICAL STEERING COMPONENTS ARE BROKE. MY INSURANCE CO. SAID PARTS ARE MADE OF PLASTIC, AND WOULD TAKE A MINOR OCCURRENCE TO CAUSE BREAKAGE TO THESE NECESSARY PARTS. INSURANCE CO. SAYS IT SHE BE UNDER WARRANTY (I HAVE LESS THEN 3,000 MILES), BUT LEXUS SAYS NO! *TR.Mileage was 2800 miles. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):JTHBF5C22B5. LEXUS IS 250 2011 problem was reported in PALM BEACH GARDENS, FL. Vehicle was not using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. Vehicle was not using Cruise Control. Vehicle had 6 CYLINDERS. FUEL TYPE: GAS.

http://car-and-safety.com/lexus-is-s...9.htm#STEERING

LEXUS IS 2009 Safety Review #10312725

LEXUS IS 2009 car safety problem was reported on Feb 22, 2010.LEXUS IS 2009, manufactured by TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION had a problem with STEERING . VERY POOR HANDLING AND LOSS OF CONTROL OF CAR ON TURNS, ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE IS A CHANGE IN GRADE ALONG THE TURN OR CURVE. DIFFICULTY MAINTAINING CONTROL OF CAR WHEN PAVEMENT IS UNEVEN ON CURVES AS IN CONSTRUCTION AREAS. *TR.Mileage was 500 miles. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):JTHBK262295. LEXUS IS 2009 problem was reported in SCOTTSDALE, AZ. Vehicle was not using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. Vehicle was not using Cruise Control. VEHICLE SPEED: 40 mph.

http://car-and-safety.com/lexus-is25...8.htm#STEERING

LEXUS IS250 2008 Safety Review #10313675

LEXUS IS250 2008 car safety problem was reported on Dec 08, 2008.LEXUS IS250 2008, manufactured by TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION had a problem with STEERING . TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2008 LEXUS IS250. HE STATED THAT WHILE DRIVING 55 MPH AND CHANGING LANES TO MAKE A RIGHT TURN, THE STEERING WHEEL PULLED TO THE LEFT WHICH MADE IT DIFFICULT TO CONTROL IT AND DRIVE IN ANY OTHER DIRECTION. HE THEN TURNED THE STEERING TO THE RIGHT AND ONCE AGAIN IT FAILED TO RESPOND. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO THE DEALER WHO WAS UNABLE TO DUPLICATE THE FAILURE AND STATED THAT THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE VEHICLE. NO REPAIRS WERE MADE TO THE VEHICLE. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 25. THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 35000. UPDATED 05/06/10. *LJ THE CONSUMER STATED WHILE DRIVING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS, HE ATTEMPTED TO MAKE A LANE CHANGE WHEN THE VEHICLE FAILED TO RESPOND TO INPUTS FROM THE STEERING WHEEL. AFTER HE MOVED INTO THE LANE DESIRED, THE CONSUMER RETURNED THE STEERING WHEEL CENTER, BUT THE VEHICLE CONTINUED TO MOVE TO THE LEFT. THE CONSUMER HAD TO TURN THE WHEEL TO THE RIGHT NUMEROUS TIMES BEFORE THE VEHICLE RESPONDED TO THE INPUT. UPDATED 06/28/10*JB.Mileage was 25 miles. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):JTHBK262682. LEXUS IS250 2008 problem was reported in COLUMBUS, OH. Vehicle was not using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. Vehicle was not using Cruise Control. Vehicle had 6 CYLINDERS. FUEL SYSTEM:Fuel injection. FUEL TYPE: GAS. VEHICLE SPEED: 55 mph.

LEXUS IS250 2008 Safety Review #10353451

LEXUS IS250 2008 car safety problem was reported on Sept 01, 2010.LEXUS IS250 2008, manufactured by TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION had a problem with STEERING . 8/31/10 LEXUS 2008 IS 250 WITH 14K MILES, TRYING TO STOP, BRAKES (ABS) PULSED VERY HARD THUMP-THUMP-THUMP, DRY PAVEMENT 30MPH STRAIGHT ROAD. NEXT INTERSECTION APPLIED BRAKES AT 20MPH STEERING PULLED RIGHT THEN LEFT AS BRAKES WERE APPLIED. VERY SCARY-CALLED DEALER - GOT #ROADSIDE TOW TRUCK - IN TO SERVICE DEPT. DEALER RAN COMPUTER DIAGNOSTICS & TEST DROVE, NO PROBLEMS, DID A NYS SAFETY INSPECTION SINCE IT WOULD EXPIRE SOON. NO PROBLEMS DETECTED , SENT VEHICLE HOME. DRIVING HOME 10 MILES FROM DEALER - SAME PULLING RIGHT/LEFT WHEN BRAKES APPLIED. NOT A GENTLE PULL - LIKE WHEEL BEING RIPPED OUT OF YOUR HANDS. NO CONTROL AT ALL. RETURNED CAR TO DEALER. NEXT DAY 9/1/10 THREE (3) MECHANICS TEST DROVE, ONLY SLIGHTLY FEELING BRAKE PULL. REPLACED BRAKES AS A WARRANTY, SENT CAR HOME. AGAIN, 20 MILES OUT GENTLY APPLIED BRAKES WHILE APPROACHING RR TRACK - CAR STEERED COMPLETELY INTO LEFT ONCOMING TRAFFIC - ALMOST A HEAD-ON COLLISION..TURNED AROUND AND TOOK CAR BACK TO DEALER DEMANDED A LOANER VEHICLE TILL THEY FIX. I AM FRIGHTENED FOR MY LIFE AS WELL AS OTHERS AROUND ME. THIS IS A LEASE VEHICLE - WHICH I STILL HAVE FOR ANOTHER 12 MONTHS. IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN CANCEL THIS LEASE? I'M AFRAID TO TAKE THIS CAR BACK AGAIN. *TR.Mileage was 14000 miles. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):JTHCK262685. LEXUS IS250 2008 problem was reported in BAY SHORE, NY. Vehicle was not using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. Vehicle was not using Cruise Control. VEHICLE SPEED: 20 mph.

LEXUS IS250 2008 Safety Review #10383192

LEXUS IS250 2008 car safety problem was reported on Feb 17, 2011.LEXUS IS250 2008, manufactured by TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION had a problem with STEERING . 2008 LEXUS IS 250 - CAR PULLS TO LEFT WHEREBY THIS COULD LEAD TO UNEXPECTED OVERSTEERING OF CAR AND COULD CAUSE HIGHWAY INCIDENT AND/OR FATALITY. TOLD BY DEALER THAT THIS IS DUE TO "LOW PROFILE TIRES & SPORT SUSPENSION", THEREFORE IT IS A CHARACTERISTIC OF THE VEHICLE AND NOTHING CAN BE DONE. *LN.Mileage was 17875 miles. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):JTHCK262585. LEXUS IS250 2008 problem was reported in MASSAPEQUA PARK, NY. Vehicle was not using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. Vehicle was not using Cruise Control. Vehicle had 6 CYLINDERS. LEXUS IS250 2008 drive type:AWD. VEHICLE SPEED: 10 mph.

http://car-and-safety.com/lexus-is25...7.htm#STEERING

LEXUS IS250 2007 Safety Review #10311582

LEXUS IS250 2007 car safety problem was reported on Feb 17, 2010.LEXUS IS250 2007, manufactured by TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION had a problem with STEERING . COMPLAINTS REGARDING 2007 LEXUS IS 250: 1. STEERING WHEEL STICKS WHEN TURNING TO THE RIGHT. THIS OCCURS 3-5 TIMES PER WEEK AND HAS ALMOST CAUSED SEVERAL ACCIDENTS AND COLLISIONS. 2. WHEN APPLYING PRESSURE ON THE BRAKE, THE CAR JUMPS FORWARD AND ACCELERATES. THIS OCCURS 2-5 TIMES PER MONTH. THIS HAS NEARLY CAUSED ME TO REAR END OTHER CARS ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS. 3. CAR FLUTTERS AND STALLS WHEN REVERSING. ( CAR IS AN AUTOMATIC) CAR ALSO FLUTTERS WHEN STOPPED AT A RED LIGHT OR STOP SIGN. CAR DOES THIS WHEN ITS HOT OR COLD. THIS OCCURS 5-10 TIMES PER MONTH. I HAVE TAKEN MY CAR TO THE LEXUS DEALERSHIP SEVERAL TIMES FOR THE ABOVE ISSUES, AND THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING. THESE ISSUE OCCUR VERY FREQUENTLY AND THE DEALER SEEMS TO NOT BE ABLE TO "FIND" ANY PROBLEMS. I HAVE RECEIVED A RECALL NOTICE FOR AN ACCELERATION ISSUE, AND WAS INSTRUCTED TO REMOVE MY FLOOR MAT. NOTHING ELSE HAS BEEN DONE AND THE DEALER HAS BEEN NO HELP. I AM CONCERNED THAT THESE ISSUES WILL HARM OR EVEN KILL MYSELF OR MY FAMILY AND OR ANOTHER DRIVER OR FAMILY ON THE ROAD. *TR.Mileage was 20000 miles. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):JTHBK262672. LEXUS IS250 2007 problem was reported in RANCHO CUCAMONGA, CA. Vehicle was not using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. Vehicle was not using Cruise Control. VEHICLE SPEED: 40 mph.

http://car-and-safety.com/lexus-is35...6.htm#STEERING

LEXUS IS350 2006 Safety Review #10241152

LEXUS IS350 2006 car safety problem was reported on Aug 19, 2008.LEXUS IS350 2006, manufactured by TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION had a problem with STEERING . LOST THE ABILITY TO STEER THE VEHICLE THERE WAS AN INTERNAL POWER STEERING FAILURE WHICH RESULTED IN THE REPLACEMENT OF THE POWER STEERING RACK ASSEMBLY. *TR.0 person(s) were injured. 0 person(s) died.Mileage was 14681 miles. Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):JTHBE262365. LEXUS IS350 2006 problem was reported in BARNEGAT, NJ. Vehicle was not using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. Vehicle was not using Cruise Control. VEHICLE SPEED: 5 mph.

LEXUS IS350 2006 Safety Review #10314252

LEXUS IS350 2006 car safety problem was reported on Nov 01, 2009.LEXUS IS350 2006, manufactured by TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION had a problem with STEERING . HAD SSC 9LC (ELECTRIC POWER STEERING LINK ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT) PERFORMED AND THE STEERING FEEL HAS BEEN ADVERSELY AFFECTED, WHERE THE ON-CENTER STEERING FEEL AT FREEWAY SPEEDS IS VAGUE. FURTHERMORE, WHEN TURNING THE WHEEL ON GRADUAL TURNS, I FEEL A NON-LINEAR RESISTANCE MOVING FROM THE ON-CENTER POSITION TO ONE SIDE OR THE OTHER. THE SENSATION MAKES THE STEERING FEEL DISCONNECTED WITH THE WHEELS, WHERE I'LL TURN THE STEERING WHEEL AN AMOUNT THAT I FEEL IS APPROPRIATE TO NEGOTIATE THE GRADUAL TURN, YET THE VEHICLE WILL CONTINUE TO TRACK ON ITS ORIGINAL COURSE. *TR.Mileage was 14000 miles. LEXUS IS350 2006 problem was reported in HONOLULU, HI. Vehicle was not using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES. Vehicle was not using Cruise Control.

My understanding from my research is that there WAS a steering rack recall on previous model years (2010 and lower) IS models. I was reassured by the manager at Lexus Canada that this did not apply to my vehicle and that all new components were fitted on this vehicle. Is it not a coincidence that a something SO SIMILAR COULD OCCUR with new parts???????? IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THE BLACK BOX COULD NOT SEE AN ERROR WITH THE STEERING AND IS NOT LOGGED ONTO THE CAR'S COMPUTER????

DO I HAVE A RIGHT AS A CONSUMER AND A CUSTOMER OF TOYOTA CANADA to be scared with this vehicle?????

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Again if anyone has taken the time to read this I extremely appreciate it. I have 3 years left on this lease and I do not want anything to do with vehicle anymore.

THANK YOU
Old 08-02-12, 11:53 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,689 Likes on 2,276 Posts

Originally Posted by Autolinks
...as I would turn the wheel the appropriate amount to make a 90 degree turn, the vehicle would continue going straight as if I did not turn the wheel at all. I had to slow to almost a complete stop and then the steering would return. I did not think anything serious of it as it would recover to normal operation on my the rest of my route throughout the day as I was on the road for a couple hours in the afternoon. Again the weather and road condition was extremely hot, sunny, and dry.
Sorry to hear about your problems, but why would you think that a steering failure is nothing to worry about and that it would somehow work itself out?

I don't know how CL can help you, my advice is to get a good lawyer.
Old 08-02-12, 12:37 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I noticed that the steering was not very responsive once or twice during the day while driving at low speed (under approximately 30KM/H turning) as I would turn the wheel the appropriate amount to make a 90 degree turn, the vehicle would continue going straight as if I did not turn the wheel at all. I had to slow to almost a complete stop and then the steering would return.
You think losing the ability to steer is not serious?

You need a REALLY good lawyer to prove Toyota wrong, good luck man, you gonna need it.
Old 08-02-12, 12:46 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice the accident occured not too far from Lexus on the Park. I assume that your errands where also in that general area? Why did you not just drive the car there when the steering problems occured earlier in the day? Steering/Brakes are safety stuff, why take a chance? OK, enough with the lecture.

You need a good lawyer to deal with Lexus Canada. You may have a case if there are reports of steering problem with later model years than the recall covered, but if not, then your claims will be considered "unsubstantiated". Perhaps a search of the US NHTSA database (as there is a larger number vehicle for a sample) for reports of similar occurance is needed on later model year vehicle. This would back up your claim that Lexus' problem exists even in the post recall parts. Further, I would involve the insurance company. If you can back up your position, they will extend their legal and financial support, since this sets them up for future claims against Toyota for other owners. Besides, your policy clearly states that you authorize the insurance company to pursue restitution from any party to recoop any claims payout.
Old 08-02-12, 01:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Get a lawyer. Im sure there is something they can get out of this and they can get the car repaired. In terms of Lexus it will be a long road. Good luck
Old 08-02-12, 01:29 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
You think losing the ability to steer is not serious?

You need a REALLY good lawyer to prove Toyota wrong, good luck man, you gonna need it.
Yeah--to play devil's advocate, the "black box" only recorded the steering failure resulting from the accident, and doesn't verify your story. So, Lexus is not going to just agree with you, and take care of it on their nickel; for all they know, you are totally making all of this up, and you just were taking the curve too fast.

If you really want to pursue this, don't try and get legal advice on an owner's forum--find a lawyer.
Old 08-02-12, 01:48 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

When I first read this I wanted to respond by calling you a bone head for driving the car 6 inches after experiencing a steering issue but held off

Now that others have chimed in, I would upgrade my sentiment to a fill in the blank bone head

I ask that the moderator lock the thread to avoid wasting time on this guy
Old 08-02-12, 02:26 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Going to be tough to prove anything, since the outcome would have been exactly the same if you were texting and ran off the road. Further, even if what you are saying is taken as being true, you claim that you knew of the malfunction from prior occurrences and continued to operate the vehicle in that condition without notifying Lexus of the problem.

This is when it pays to have an in-car camera. It could prove what you are saying is true.

Last edited by Ty419; 08-02-12 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-02-12, 04:29 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ty419
you claim that you knew of the malfunction from prior occurrences and continued to operate the vehicle in that condition without notifying Lexus of the problem.
His point is the malfunction is the cause of his accident, him having prior knowledges of the defect doesn't change that. But he is at fault for running into this huge mess.

Originally Posted by Ty419
This is when it pays to have an in-car camera. It could prove what you are saying is true.
This would be true if the in-car camera have a view of the steering wheel position, most don't.
Old 08-02-12, 04:32 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by My0gr81
I notice the accident occured not too far from Lexus on the Park. I assume that your errands where also in that general area? Why did you not just drive the car there when the steering problems occured earlier in the day? Steering/Brakes are safety stuff, why take a chance? OK, enough with the lecture.

You need a good lawyer to deal with Lexus Canada. You may have a case if there are reports of steering problem with later model years than the recall covered, but if not, then your claims will be considered "unsubstantiated". Perhaps a search of the US NHTSA database (as there is a larger number vehicle for a sample) for reports of similar occurance is needed on later model year vehicle. This would back up your claim that Lexus' problem exists even in the post recall parts. Further, I would involve the insurance company. If you can back up your position, they will extend their legal and financial support, since this sets them up for future claims against Toyota for other owners. Besides, your policy clearly states that you authorize the insurance company to pursue restitution from any party to recoop any claims payout.
You gave the best advice here
Old 08-02-12, 04:33 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah man... sorry but right after that first malfunction you shouldn't have kept driving it end of story.

I would turn the wheel the appropriate amount to make a 90 degree turn, the vehicle would continue going straight as if I did not turn the wheel at all. I had to slow to almost a complete stop and then the steering would return. I did not think anything serious of it as it would recover to normal operation on my the rest of my route throughout the day as I was on the road for a couple hours in the afternoon.

That right there was not smart.. something like this is pretty major almost like having no brakes or having the rims fall off your car. You just tow it after steering fails the first time.
Old 08-02-12, 04:51 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,689 Likes on 2,276 Posts

This person is cross posting the identical info on different forums, for example.
Old 08-02-12, 05:59 PM
Autolinks
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for taking a time to read and respond.

I am not on here looking for legal advice, nor am I trying to waste anyone`s time as S2000 says.

I am simply trying to reach out to the Lexus community to hopefully see if anyone has had any similar situation (especially with their IS) , or if I could reach to those who have had these problems in the past. As I have seen there have been other occurrences.

I know obviously if I am to battle with Lexus it will be a long and difficult fight. I am not looking to make money here, I nor anyone else was injured which is most important, I am just posting here to share my feelings regarding this situation as I am seriously confused and distraught after these events. All I am saying is that it is not fair that this could happen, to me or anyone else for that matter. I was just reaching out to the community to share what has happened.

Maybe I am a bone head, but as I mentioned the steering failed occurred only twice, one time nothing really happened and the second time I did almost have to come to a stop. The rest of the day everything was operating as normal. Do you guys really think if I brought the vehicle to the dealer they would be able to replicate the situation! I think basing on all of the reading I have been doing they would send me on my merry way.

Again I am sorry If I am wasting anyones time.

I am just a frustrated and upset lexus owner currently. Before this I was in love with the car. Now even if I do bite the bullet and have my insurance repair it, I don`t even want the car again WHAT IF THIS HAPPENS AGAIN. My other option is to break my lease which has 3 years remaining......

I was just hoping someone could chime in on the situation, thank you Myogr81 for your advice, or maybe someone has been experiencing the same problem, or maybe the owners who have had these problems in the past could share how they had this resolved.

That`s all.

Thank you
Old 08-02-12, 06:11 PM
Autolinks
Driver School Candidate

And after I did notice the first problem I did pull into an empty parking lot and I tested numerous times both directions to ensure that the steering was working as I was very concerned. Obviously everything WAS functioning perfectly and I could not replicate the problem. That is why I did not have the vehicle towed in earlier. I have been driving for a very long time and have never experienced anything like this before and don`t know what to do. Thank you all for help again.
Old 08-02-12, 06:12 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Thank you guys for taking a time to read and respond.

I am not on here looking for legal advice, nor am I trying to waste anyone`s time as S2000 says.

I am simply trying to reach out to the Lexus community to hopefully see if anyone has had any similar situation (especially with their IS) , or if I could reach to those who have had these problems in the past. As I have seen there have been other occurrences.

I know obviously if I am to battle with Lexus it will be a long and difficult fight. I am not looking to make money here, I nor anyone else was injured which is most important, I am just posting here to share my feelings regarding this situation as I am seriously confused and distraught after these events. All I am saying is that it is not fair that this could happen, to me or anyone else for that matter. I was just reaching out to the community to share what has happened.

Maybe I am a bone head, but as I mentioned the steering failed occurred only twice, one time nothing really happened and the second time I did almost have to come to a stop. The rest of the day everything was operating as normal. Do you guys really think if I brought the vehicle to the dealer they would be able to replicate the situation! I think basing on all of the reading I have been doing they would send me on my merry way.

Again I am sorry If I am wasting anyones time.

I am just a frustrated and upset lexus owner currently. Before this I was in love with the car. Now even if I do bite the bullet and have my insurance repair it, I don`t even want the car again WHAT IF THIS HAPPENS AGAIN. My other option is to break my lease which has 3 years remaining......

I was just hoping someone could chime in on the situation, thank you Myogr81 for your advice, or maybe someone has been experiencing the same problem, or maybe the owners who have had these problems in the past could share how they had this resolved.

That`s all.

Thank you
Seriously? ONLY twice... Even if it happened once, I'd have it towed to Lexus.

Quick Reply: 2011 is350 steering failure caused accident can anyone help.