IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tinted your front windshield? Couple questions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 10:50 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammer1
A member posted a link on the first page of this thread. It was a tint that cut the UV rays without actually giving much of a "tinted" look.
You mean like this? Mine is Air Blue 80, virtually undetectable without a side by side comparison of the same window without a tint or one trying to really look for it.

Originally Posted by Sango
Accutint Bellevue.
http://www.accutintbellevue.com/

I will need to do a new set of pics since the fronts sides were changed to F1 Pinnacle 35 under the warranty. Seems to blend in visually against the rear better which normally looks darker because more light comes in from the front.

Llumar Air Blue 80 (with and without flash)

F1 Pinnacle 40 all-around (no flash)
Old 08-10-12, 05:08 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks and sounds very similar. Love the blue with the black wheels by the way... Here is the link that the other member attached. It's a 3M film....

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...omotive_Films/
Old 08-10-12, 06:29 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Ah you mean the 3M Crystaline 90. It's also a good choice as well if one wants tint than the air blue 80.

Last edited by Sango; 08-11-12 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-11-12, 10:37 AM
es808
Pole Position

The title of the post says "tinted your front windshield" but it's not the windshield that you're talking about right? It's the front windows. Tinting the front windshield is illegal below the two lines printed at the top, isn't it? You can have tint or vinyl above these lines to act as visors, but nothing below to obscure the driver's view.
Old 08-11-12, 12:59 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by es808
The title of the post says "tinted your front windshield" but it's not the windshield that you're talking about right? It's the front windows. Tinting the front windshield is illegal below the two lines printed at the top, isn't it? You can have tint or vinyl above these lines to act as visors, but nothing below to obscure the driver's view.
Shhhh......... Yes, the thread is about the front windshield.
Old 08-11-12, 01:24 PM
eddiekay
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's a tint prescription? what does that mean
Old 08-11-12, 02:59 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Got it done today on my lunch hour, and really like the way it looks. I have to say, there is practically no difference when driving the car and looking out the windshield. The effect that it gives the look of the car from the outside is much improved, and I like it a lot. I went with 50% by the way. My guy uses 3M tint but I'm not sure which line I am using. He used the same as what he used on the other windows, and I know it isn't the Crystalline. May be the FX35? I don't think it brought the other windows down to the 20% look that I was wanting, but it is much better than the 35% that they were (and looked) before. Still plan to do the "after" pics tomorrow afternoon. I may shoot a pic in the garage in a bit, just to show how it looks.
Old 08-11-12, 03:23 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Figured I would go ahead and post a pic while I was thinking about it. Built a new box for my 15 and have to get back to work on relocating my amps, so no time like the present. Doubt I would feel like it later...... Here is a front shot. Gonna look a little darker than it will in sunlight, because she's in the garage. Let me know what you think.

Name:  DSC01877.jpg
Views: 5986
Size:  308.3 KB
Old 08-11-12, 03:23 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by es808
Something like that or tinting below the top 6" of the windshield which is allowed is not allowed. People do it anyways and I have a front windshield tint with air blue 80. Virtually unnoticeable to people unless I tell them it has a tint.

http://truestreetcars.com/forums/lom...-cant-see.html
http://www.aptinting.com/gallery/mai...g2_itemId=1327

Originally Posted by eddiekay
there's a tint prescription? what does that mean
Means for medical reasons, it gives allows the driver to have windshield tint for their vision.

Originally Posted by Slammer1
I went with 50% by the way. My guy uses 3M tint but I'm not sure which line I am using. He used the same as what he used on the other windows, and I know it isn't the Crystalline. May be the FX35? I don't think it brought the other windows down to the 20% look that I was wanting, but it is much better than the 35% that they were (and looked) before. Still plan to do the "after" pics tomorrow afternoon. I may shoot a pic in the garage in a bit, just to show how it looks.
Are you telling us you don't know the exact tint you're using and paying for it? Hopefully that's not the case.

Last edited by Sango; 08-11-12 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-11-12, 03:34 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

I know it's 3M film, has a lifetime warranty and I get it done for cheap. He is a pro and will do it over if I see even the slightest bubble or blemish in it. What's the problem?
Old 08-11-12, 03:41 PM
Sango
Pole Position

What I'm saying is you don't know what you exactly got you got? I'm sure when we got our cars, we know exactly what we got. Lifetime/cost regardless.

Mine is lifetime and owner transferable but I know what tints I exactly have (in my sig). The place I go to are pros too and they are also an exclusive tint place for Ferrari for my area.

Everything is listed on my invoice and I knew what I have because specified it as well. Just saying...

Last edited by Sango; 08-11-12 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-11-12, 04:32 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

He did my front for me for free, and it's a 3M tint. Not worried about the future owner having a warranty. . Jus sayin.......

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand where you're coming from. I get it, really. When it comes to my window tint, I'm a little less uptight about it than other things. If it's a quality film, it is done properly and I have a warranty, I'm good.
Old 08-11-12, 04:35 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

And no, he's not a buddy or friend that owns a tint shop. He is a guy that I have used numerous times in the past, and sent lots of business to over the years. I know it's good film and I know he puts it on right. Hope I didn't come off as smart *ss in the last post, certainly didn't mean too but it sounded a little cross when I read it. I just know that it's good film and that he does good work.
Old 08-11-12, 06:09 PM
Sango
Pole Position

If its for free that's a different story. :-)

Na, its cool. I am more of a technical so I like to know details.
Old 08-11-12, 06:45 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

I get that too bro. We're good. I would be be the same way in a thread about car audio. How do you not know??? I get it. I suppose it's all relative.....

Quick Reply: Tinted your front windshield? Couple questions....