IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

want to install memory seat option- help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 04:23 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuske427
Yeah, it looks like this is not a "sports" packaged car, but it does have the heated/ cooled seats. The panels appear to be some dark mahogany, but not too brown. more of a grey-ish color to them.

What else comes with a premium package?
That's it. Premium package is woodgrain and heated/vented seats. Nothing else.
Old 07-31-12, 07:06 PM
Tuske427
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
If you found a parts car that would be the way to go.

Quickly dismissing the ability to add this feature is mostly due to the cost of the components involved in the Memory System. Even with discounted online pricing, it would be very expensive, I'll outline some of the costs below, at Lexus USA MSRP.

The steering column is different, as is the cover and switch, there is also a control ECU.

Steering column is $1795.
Column cover is $84.
Turn signal switch/memory switch is $169.
Steering tilt control ECU is $1022.

The mirrors are different and there are mirror control ECU's in each door.

Mirrors are $600 each.
Mirror ECU's are $300 each.

The seat switches are different, and the ones with memory seats have control ECU's built into them.

Seat switches are $555 each.

The door panels are different as they have a spot for the switch to fit in. They do come with the switches though.

Door panels are $1153 each.

The above listed parts come to $8286, and that is NOT an exhaustive parts list for what is different, add to that either buying the relevant interior wiring harnesses or (and it would NOT be easy, trust me) wiring it up yourself, and you can add to that list very quickly.

Jeff

OK, thank you, this is a very helpful reply. I still find it amazing that Lexus (or anyone, really) would make that many different systems and components just to include an extra feature or two. I understand this is a premium car line, but I am still amazed. and trust me, I'm not saying this lightly. I may be new to this board but I'm hardly new to modifying/ hot rodding cars. (Just not Lexus)
Old 09-23-12, 12:51 AM
JONIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2009 Lexus is250 with navi and back up camera but no navi??

Originally Posted by inno
Good question! I was surprised to see I had bought a 2010 IS350 with Nav and it had no seat memory.
2009 Lexus is250 with navi and back up camera but no navi??
Old 09-23-12, 10:19 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JONIS250
How does it have navi but NOT have navi??
Old 09-23-12, 10:27 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 583 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by JONIS250
Originally Posted by tex2670
How does it have navi but NOT have navi??
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Jeff
Old 09-23-12, 07:02 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuske427
OK, thank you, this is a very helpful reply. I still find it amazing that Lexus (or anyone, really) would make that many different systems and components just to include an extra feature or two. I understand this is a premium car line, but I am still amazed. and trust me, I'm not saying this lightly. I may be new to this board but I'm hardly new to modifying/ hot rodding cars. (Just not Lexus)
Auto makers will make these mods difficult to keep themselves in business. If the base model had all the wiring for the factory upgrades existing then people would buy the parts from wrecked cars. It is expensive for an automaker to make so many different harnesses and such but it is a business and these additional expenses have likely been analyzed and modeled to death to ensure that making this choice would ensure that lexus would obtain the highest ROI for these projects.

Every now and then we get lucky enough to find something they did not make different for instance adding the illuminated door sills in the 2007 IS (lexus left working plugs for this under the original sills). However this goes away quickly and future models get stripped of the universal harnesses. I was about to add a Mark Levingson stereo in my 2IS and wanted to switch to a black interior which both are easier than adding the memory seats and yes its cheaper to just go buy another car with the features you want. In my case it ended up being the ISF. Even if you could add it you will have to basically take your car apart and alot of people will tell you once you take a car apart its not the same...youll notice rattles, squeaks and stuff like that. But that dosent stop most of us

If you do it, def. make a thread about it because im sure a bunch of guys would love to see it done. Its not impossible. Maybe over time you can find all the part on ebay. Good luck!