Print Wikipost

Installing a new windshield myself

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-12, 05:45 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Curious as to the weight of that windshield there...just the glass itself.
Ooo i'm curious to know this too! I'm guessing about 30LBS at least...
Old 07-16-12, 06:05 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
Jeff, you get a big thumbs up from me for tackling this on yourself.
Originally Posted by GSE21
Wow, you are brave! Nice job.
Originally Posted by PAVGR
Good work Jeff,you are brave.I m sure everything will be perfect tomorrow.Bravo!!!
Thanks guys. Not everyone will want to tackle this job themselves, there is a lot that can go wrong, but if you just take your time, you will be a lot more careful than someone else with your own car.

Originally Posted by Hondadna4
My windshield is sooooooo pitted its not even funny. I need to get it replaced asap. I apply a coat of wax to it and it will help. But in three days it just goes away. Im just scared of the crappy things I hear of all theses places replacing windshields. My biggest delema is I want to go OEM because I hear that it has a special coating??? But who knows I just dont want a crappy install with road noise to come with it,.....if anybody can chime in on this please do. Your install looks clean as F@(%!!! you have ***** sir. Thumbs up
I find factory glass better even beyond the special coatings and whatnot. Aftermarket glass usually has from slight to considerable distortion when viewed at an angle, OEM usually has none. Factory glass also seems to crack less easily from what I've seen in the past. In fact this was the first crack I've had in a windshield, I've had multiple chips, but I usually get them repaired right away. This was a BIG chip and I think it must have been from someone driving by my parked car or something, I don't know. I don't remember it happening while I was driving and I noticed a couple of chips in weird places on my fenders beside the windshield as well. They've been paving my streets lately, maybe it was one of their trucks? Not sure. Still I definitely prefer factory glass, though it definitely does come at a premium.

Originally Posted by Gville350
Curious as to the weight of that windshield there...just the glass itself.
Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Ooo i'm curious to know this too! I'm guessing about 30LBS at least...
Honestly I didn't really pay much attention to it, but it's probably around 30-35lbs.

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
congrats

major props for doin this! i'd be so scared to take my car apart
Again, you just need to go slow and take the time to read the manual on how to do things. When people get impatient things get damaged. Replace broken clips and be careful. Find out how things come apart before trying to take them apart. These are my mottos, lol.

Originally Posted by s6 4rings
Jeff, gotcha, but huge thumbs up for taking this on.
I took a picture of the foam so you can see what it is:

Jeff
Old 07-16-12, 06:18 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Well the job is all done now, drove the car home tonight, here are my final pictures of the install:

JDM tyte!

So after opening up the new factory glass, I found that the new glass had the factory-style 1-piece stopper clips already installed on the glass. The ones I previously posted (2-piece), are to be used when reusing the glass I guess, or if you wanted to use them on aftermarket glass I guess you could. You can see the markings on the glass for positioning the stoppers.

The first step to prep the glass is to apply glass primer to all of the areas where adhesive is going to be applied, this includes where the upper moulding and adhesive dam go. After applying the primer and letting it dry for 3 minutes, I installed the upper moulding and adhesive dam to the glass, making sure to take careful measurements so it all went in the right place.

I then test fit the glass in the car to make sure it was correct, the factory upper stoppers worked beautifully to position the glass, and after a slight adjustment to the right it was sitting perfect.

After the successful test fit, I cut the tip for the urethane to a V-shape as per Lexus' instructions. Using a V-shape actually makes it easier to apply an even bead as well I've found versus using a round bead. V-shape: 8mm x 12mm high, though it actually ends up being about 6-7mm wide as you go, which is on par Lexus' instructions stating a 3mm centre-line for the V.

You can see that once the glass is in place, there is almost no excess. The upper stoppers again held the glass in place and I had marks for left/right position so that it would also be perfect. Here you can see the side area and the perfect amount of urethane without any excess to bond to the side moulding, etc.

Here you can see the glass installed with the new blue side moulding clips installed on each side. These are to be removed/replaced when changing the windshield. They are basically 1-time use clips and I had to replace them all.

Finally after waiting the prescribed 5-hours for curing, the car was ready to drive. New windshield installed, all interior put back in, no excess urethane, nothing scratched or cut. I didn't even get any urethane on my hands (a first) while doing this installation. I am very pleased to say the least.

Jeff
Old 07-16-12, 07:44 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just in-case Jeff didn't mention it. Since it is a Canadian car, his car does have the front windshield deicer so if one were to order the glass, get the right one!!

-----------

Jeff, in the photos, I don't really see the front windshield deicer in there. Can you take a better pic of them?
Old 07-16-12, 11:06 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice detailed pictures.

Too bad I can't tell what's making that dashboard creaking problems that so many people here have. I stopped mine by stuffing a lot of foam in the crack between the dashboard and windshield.
Old 07-17-12, 01:08 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice, glad it's all done and installed. Did you leave the "Made in Japan" sticker on there? I left mine on there after having it replaced
Old 07-17-12, 01:20 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

No, I took it off, lol.

Jeff
Old 07-17-12, 05:51 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great work Jeff.
Old 07-17-12, 08:57 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Congrats Jeff..!!

This is on my "to do list" once I decommission MY IS-F as a daily driver...

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-17-12 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-17-12, 09:30 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Seems like a LOT of effort for minimal (if any) benefit. But to each their own.
Old 07-17-12, 11:07 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

I guess so, but every time I've ever had someone else do an install, at least one of the steps has gotten botched one way or another. I end up with my headliner glued to my roof, or some dirty urethane fingerprint on my a-pillar trim, or a small cut on one of the a-pillar trim, or broken clips on the cowl, or wipers installed in the wrong place, or the glass sitting slightly too far to the left/right, or visible urethane inside the car, or the glass sitting too high, or the mouldings installed incorrectly with missing or broken clips, or the moulding just glued in place with no clips, or whatever else they forget to do, or whatever. (Every single thing in that list has happened to me personally on various cars, and I haven't had that many windshields done. Feelsbadman.)

Instead I just spent a day slowly prepping and working on my car, it wasn't stressful or even that hard, just takes a bit of time. I've seen how most glass installers work, both in person and watching "instructional" videos online, and quite frankly I don't want any of those people getting near my car. If someone was to cut my glass out again, they would have no idea it wasn't done at the factory. That's definitely worth it to me.

Most glass places will look after you if something goes wrong, like an A-pillar is scratched or if they cut something, but honestly I'd rather NOT have something happen than have somewhere that will look after me when something does go wrong (which it frequently does). We have windshields replaced daily and I've never seen one done what I would consider correctly.

To each their own indeed.

EDIT: What it comes down to, is that yes you can save hours of time if you skip steps to do things differently, but there are risks. I'm not one to take those risks. Most glass installers do 85% of the job in 10% (or less) of the time. For them, that makes sense, for my own car it doesn't.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 03-07-13 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-17-12, 11:56 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Jeff needs a new title: Glass installer
Old 07-17-12, 03:46 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

I'd prefer not to have that title, haha. I do my own glass, not so much for other people.

Jeff
Old 07-17-12, 03:50 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Awesome post Jeff. Very useful info.
Old 07-17-12, 04:40 PM
ISThree
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sango
I think Jeff needs a new title: Glass installer