DIY transmission fluid change question for IS250 - Page 4 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013)
DIY transmission fluid change question for IS250 >

DIY transmission fluid change question for IS250

Notices
IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY transmission fluid change question for IS250

Old 01-20-18, 02:21 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

As for new or any fluid expanding the existing rubber O-rings or seals that is not true of anything but those transmission rebuilds in a can. Those have things like either or/or other products with binders that reduce their evaporation period. Once added, these products **magically induce swelling** of rubber like O-rings and and ya, some leaks are reduced. And when the additive evaporates, the trans leaks like a sieve.

Rubber, neoprene, and other pliable materials do use fluid to keep them soft. Heat on the other hand and repeated heat cycling makes these components harden. Once they become rigid and are no longer pliable, they no longer apply pressure to the Teflon sealing rings they were expanding and the trans can experience internal leaks. Internal leaks create a loss of clamp force pressure at pistons acting on bands, clutch pack drums, and other components and here is where the trans begins to slip under load and burn those clutches and bands. As the fluid burns it fills with debris and soon after the valve body and solenoids act up as that debris is impairing their function. This is the beginning of the end for the trans.

Fresh fluid is nearly always a good thing throughout the life of trans. As in, after that initial 60 to 90K mi, a 25k fluid swap is GOOD THING! Do IT!
The Following User Says Thank You to 2013FSport For This Useful Post:
primavera (01-20-18)
Old 02-09-18, 11:58 PM
bryceis250
Rookie

ive been using mine to deliver Chinese food, not really by choice. the Camry is like a pair of ice skates, so with the weather we been having i use the IS because it is amazing in the snow. the gas mileage isn't the best of course. im looking for something else , but for right now im using her.
Old 03-18-18, 03:51 PM
XSV
Lead Lap

finally did this on my 08 is250 at just under 200k. I did the fill and drain method. I tired to do the fill and replace method but when I checked the level, no fluid came out so I had to add more fluid and then drain the excess. I used a scan gauge II tool and did the drain at 102 degrees until the flow was a thin stream and then I replaced the plug. fluid was dark and brown on paper.
Old 03-21-18, 12:39 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Post Early 250's use the A960E vs A760E 08 up & 350's

Anyone notice the 06 - 07 250's use the A960E trans while the 08 up and the 350's use the A760E trans? I didn't look to see if it holds a different volume but some might keep that in mind.
Old 04-03-18, 10:55 PM
XSV
Lead Lap

Sent off a sample and got the report today:
MICHAEL: There's quite a bit of metal here, but that doesn't come as much of a surprise after seeing how long this fluid was used. Initial wear-in, along with all the metal that accumulated over the last ~195K miles accounts for most of what we're seeing here, but there's simply too much metal to rule out any issues. Lead stands out the most and could show excess bearing wear. Universal averages show typical wear after ~37,400 miles of oil use. The 0.1% insolubles show lots of oxidized solids so an oil change was a good idea. Try 20K miles next if all is well and check back.
What do yall think? Tranny on the way to kicking the can? Not having any issues with the transmission.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
08 IS250-TR-180318 copy.pdf (133.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-04-18, 01:32 PM
Gville350
Lexus Fanatic

^Basically they're saying that Lexus is FALSE in saying that the trans fluid is a lifetime fluid. As long as you've not encountered any issues yet with the trans, then you should still be fine. It's those that have a known problem, and then flush the fluids, that then expect the issue to be fixed that should be worried.
Old 04-25-18, 03:56 PM
XSV
Lead Lap

So I noticed there is fluid all over the transmission pan, but the car does not leak any transmission fluid. There are no leaks from either drain plugs. I don't think its from the fill plug either. I think it may be the transmission pan gasket? Anyone had this problem before?
Old 04-26-18, 09:45 AM
Gville350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XSV View Post
So I noticed there is fluid all over the transmission pan, but the car does not leak any transmission fluid. There are no leaks from either drain plugs. I don't think its from the fill plug either. I think it may be the transmission pan gasket? Anyone had this problem before?
I had a minor trans fluid seepage issue on the front of the trans pan that I addressed by replacing the pan gasket (cake, BTW). It didn't leak, you could just tell it was moist and was overtime about to start leaking there. So I just went ahead and replaced it while I did a trans fluid flush.
Old 04-26-18, 03:49 PM
XSV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350 View Post
I had a minor trans fluid seepage issue on the front of the trans pan that I addressed by replacing the pan gasket (cake, BTW). It didn't leak, you could just tell it was moist and was overtime about to start leaking there. So I just went ahead and replaced it while I did a trans fluid flush.
went ahead and bought a new oem gasket and filter
Old 04-26-18, 03:56 PM
MikeFig82
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XSV View Post
went ahead and bought a new oem gasket and filter
If you get a chance can you post up some pics of the valve bodies? Overall internals of the transmission area when pan is removed. I'm looking to see if the 2IS transmission has this feature. I like how it firmed up the shifts on my old GS400.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance/595906-gs430-better-tranny-shifts-just-by-adjusting-dial.html

Thanks

Found a picture of the valve body for an AWD. According to eBay pictures. See yellow outline if the RWD has it then I'm sure it's correct for the AWD.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 04-26-18 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-26-18, 08:04 PM
XSV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MikeFig82 View Post
If you get a chance can you post up some pics of the valve bodies? Overall internals of the transmission area when pan is removed. I'm looking to see if the 2IS transmission has this feature. I like how it firmed up the shifts on my old GS400.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ting-dial.html

Thanks

Found a picture of the valve body for an AWD. According to eBay pictures. See yellow outline if the RWD has it then I'm sure it's correct for the AWD.

will do, but wont be any time soon, probably in a few weeks when i have a day off from work.
The Following User Says Thank You to XSV For This Useful Post:
MikeFig82 (04-26-18)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY transmission fluid change question for IS250

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: