IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Wolfgang Car Products is THE TRUTH!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-12, 03:25 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job on detailing. People don't really give their cars enough TLC when it comes to the paint. However... your steps probably need a little tweaking.

-After washing your car, you should always clay bar. Or, you could use something like IronX to remove most of the containments and then quickly go over with a clay bar. But claying is a pretty crucial step.
-Why did you use the total swirl remover by hand? And then why did you use it again with the polisher? Why didn't you just use the polisher the first time around?
-Again, why didn't you just use the finish glaze and sealant with your polisher? Why hand than using the polisher?
-Also, only 3 hours to do all of that? You may need to slow down... When you polish, you need to do no larger than 2x2 section and do ~6 passes in a very slow, smooth motion. Detailing is not supposed to be a rush job... it's something that is slow and, well, detailed.

Wolfgang products are pretty great, but keep your eye out for other varieties of products. I'm not a gigantic wolfgang fan, but if you find something you like, use it often.

Here is my car after working on it for a total of about 20 hours back in April:

^ So reflective, we could barely take a picture of it hahaha.

I don't know if you follow AutoGeek's Facebook, but I was their ride of the week at the beginning of June

Last edited by karasha; 07-05-12 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-05-12, 03:55 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by karasha
Good job on detailing. People don't really give their cars enough TLC when it comes to the paint. However... your steps probably need a little tweaking.

-After washing your car, you should always clay bar. Or, you could use something like IronX to remove most of the containments and then quickly go over with a clay bar. But claying is a pretty crucial step.
-Why did you use the total swirl remover by hand? And then why did you use it again with the polisher? Why didn't you just use the polisher the first time around?
-Again, why didn't you just use the finish glaze and sealant with your polisher? Why hand than using the polisher?
-Also, only 3 hours to do all of that? You may need to slow down... When you polish, you need to do no larger than 2x2 section and do ~6 passes in a very slow, smooth motion. Detailing is not supposed to be a rush job... it's something that is slow and, well, detailed.

Wolfgang products are pretty great, but keep your eye out for other varieties of products. I'm not a gigantic wolfgang fan, but if you find something you like, use it often.

Here is my car after working on it for a total of about 20 hours back in April:

^ So reflective, we could barely take a picture of it hahaha.

I don't know if you follow AutoGeek's Facebook, but I was their ride of the week at the beginning of June
That's weird you can actually read and comment this post I actually have u on my block list bc I noticed a few months back u have a habit of commenting on Ppls threads and criticizing. But I applied the swirl Remover by hand first to really get it to set in. And you only claybar when Ur paint is really old. I recleared my car not too long ago clay bar would have been pointless and unnecessary. And thanks for the other advice but if I molded my spoiler and everything else trust me i know how to wash and detail my car
Old 07-05-12, 04:16 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Goodness, I'm sorry that I tried to help you and your steps. I saw that there were somethings that were off about it. Detailing is a process that takes practice... Seeing this is your first time buying a huge amount of supplies and a polisher, I would think that a helping hand would be, I don't know, nice. And the pictures I added is to show I'm not a quack detailer.

Firstly, your paint is not a substance that is really permeable. You cannot let the "swirl remover sit in". Actually, you are not supposed to let it even dry on your paint.

Also, you are not supposed to only claybar your car if it's really old paint. It simply removes the containments and old wax. While there are many chemical substances that you can use in aid of clay barring (one that I recommended, such as IronX), it's a manual step that removes and clean your paint. If you look at almost any of the detailing write ups, it entails claying your car before you polish it. I clay bar my car every turn of the season. And if you drive your car on a frequent basis then there are many environmental things that can come in contact (tree sap, bird poop, industrial fall out, tar, ect.) that causes you to need to clay bar your car.

You seem to be the one that gets his feather's rustled quite easily. Between people supposedly "touching your car and parking too close" and people maybe giving a differing point from yours, I would rethink calling me out about criticizing people.
Old 07-05-12, 04:26 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Goodness, I'm sorry that I tried to help you and your steps. I saw that there were somethings that were off about it. Detailing is a process that takes practice... Seeing this is your first time buying a huge amount of supplies and a polisher, I would think that a helping hand would be, I don't know, nice. And the pictures I added is to show I'm not a quack detailer.

Firstly, your paint is not a substance that is really permeable. You cannot let the "swirl remover sit in". Actually, you are not supposed to let it even dry on your paint.

Also, you are not supposed to only claybar your car if it's really old paint. It simply removes the containments and old wax. While there are many chemical substances that you can use in aid of clay barring (one that I recommended, such as IronX), it's a manual step that removes and clean your paint. If you look at almost any of the detailing write ups, it entails claying your car before you polish it. I clay bar my car every turn of the season. And if you drive your car on a frequent basis then there are many environmental things that can come in contact (tree sap, bird poop, industrial fall out, tar, ect.) that causes you to need to clay bar your car.

You seem to be the one that gets his feather's rustled quite easily. Between people supposedly "touching your car and parking too close" and people maybe giving a differing point from yours, I would rethink calling me out about criticizing people.
You didn't offend me at all I simply said I blocked u before bc i saw the way u go around criticizing Ppls threads u even had a mod warn you once when you were giving a female is owner a hard time when here thread recieved a lot of attention from guys. This is not my first time buying quality car products its my first time using wolfgang. I've used zaino and pinnacle before. Please exit my thread thanks.
Old 07-05-12, 04:32 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

+1 on slowing down. 3 hours is a rush even to wash, dry and wax a car, much less finely detail it. But glad you're happy with the outcome
Old 07-05-12, 04:34 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

I have my fair amount of "criticizing", as does quite a few other people on this forum. So you preemptively blocked me because of nothing I did to you personally, but because I said I didn't like something someone else did to their car? Just sounds... weird.

Also, I have NEVER had a problem with any of the moderators on this forum and have never been warned by one directly. If you are referring to CC2JJ's wife (or whatever his SN is) about when she posted up all this information about herself, I was simply being kind and letting her know to keep the personal information limited... people can use that information to find you. Being that she is a girl on a male dominated forum, and at that, a PUBLIC forum, safety is something you have to think of it. That surely is NOT criticism.

I assumed this was your first time because you posted up that you bought all this overhaul of products and a brand new polisher.

Exit your thread? Surely. But your assumption of me is unjust. Not that I will loose sleep over it!
Old 07-05-12, 04:34 PM
gyung
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This would be the correct advice - claying really old paint doesn't really do anything if there are no contaminants. I also used IronX and was pretty impressed with it, especially on my poorly maintained OEM wheels. This is great advice for people who are starting out.
Old 07-05-12, 04:43 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

I have my fair amount of "criticizing", as does quite a few other people on this forum. So you preemptively blocked me because of nothing I did to you personally, but because I said I didn't like something someone else did to their car? Just sounds... weird.

Also, I have NEVER had a problem with any of the moderators on this forum and have never been warned by one directly. If you are referring to CC2JJ's wife (or whatever his SN is) about when she posted up all this information about herself, I was simply being kind and letting her know to keep the personal information limited... people can use that information to find you. Being that she is a girl on a male dominated forum, and at that, a PUBLIC forum, safety is something you have to think of it. That surely is NOT criticism.

I assumed this was your first time because you posted up that you bought all this overhaul of products and a brand new polisher.

Exit your thread? Surely. But your assumption of me is unjust. Not that I will loose sleep over it!
We actually had a argument in my other thread as well about Wald spoilers.and like I said i just happened to notice u do a lot of criticizing on this forum. I don't wanna associate myself with ppl like that so therefore I blocked u. Thanks for Ur advice I was not attacking you nor was I seeking your advice about detailing. I use the detaling section on CL and autogeeks forum for that. Thanks and once again I kindly ask u to exit my thread
Old 07-05-12, 04:49 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Thanks and once again I kindly ask u to exit my thread
Karasha is giving valuable advice to detailing, which yourself and others could learn from. In the end, that's what these forums are meant for: to share knowledge and show off our cars. Instead you decided to call her out on a completely different, old scenario. Asking her to leave a public forum thread is childish

Last edited by heyarms; 07-05-12 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-05-12, 04:56 PM
gyung
Pole Position

Originally Posted by heyarms
Karasha is giving valuable advice to detailing, which yourself and others could learn from. In the end, that's what these forums are meant for: to share knowledge and show off our cars. Asking her to leave a public forum thread is childish. Instead you decided to call her out on a completely different, old scenario.
+1 Internets for you, I never mind some constructive criticism.

---

Couple thoughts:

I think claying after every wash is excessive though, but it's critical before a full polish.

I do wax by hand because it feels like I use less product. I have quite a few pads and a PC, but after a few goes I still prefer to do it by hand.

Three hours is extremely fast - Claying + wash + IronX + drying + prep took me about two hours. First round of polish (heavy compound) took me a good six hours. Second polish to remove micro-marring took another five to six. Wax + removal was about one hour.
Old 07-05-12, 04:58 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by heyarms
Karasha is giving valuable advice to detailing, which yourself and others could learn from. In the end, that's what these forums are meant for: to share knowledge and show off our cars. Asking her to leave a public forum thread is childish. Instead you decided to call her out on a completely different, old scenario.
I was not attacking her, I was simply surprised she could view this thread since I had her on my block list. And I just informed her why she was blocked. Seeing we had already had an issue in another thread I created https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-there-3.html and seeing her activity in other threads I decided it was best to avoid her altogether on here. So I'm not being childish just simply trying to avoid any other unnecessary arguments.

This thread was to share my hard work, I was not seeking advice which is what this thread is for https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/
and this forum http://www.autogeekonline.net/
Old 07-05-12, 05:07 PM
gyung
Pole Position

I was not attacking her, I was simply surprised she could view this thread since I had her on my block list. And I just informed her why she was blocked. Seeing we had already had an issue in another thread I created https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-there-3.html and seeing her activity in other threads I decided it was best to avoid her altogether on here. So I'm not being childish just simply trying to avoid any other unnecessary arguments.

This thread was to share my hard work, I was not seeking advice which is what this thread is for https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/
and this forum http://www.autogeekonline.net/
Why would you inform anyone that you blocked them? Just ignore them, pretend they don't exist. Forums are for discussions - whether you like it or not. Unless they are following you around and attacking you personally, they are free to say whatever they want within the guidelines and it's OT. Everyone is offering praise or helpful insights, I don't see anything wrong with that.
Old 07-05-12, 05:11 PM
305is350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RD your ride came out perfect.
Old 07-05-12, 05:20 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 305is350
RD your ride came out perfect.
Thanks 350
Old 07-05-12, 07:58 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's weird you can actually read and comment this post I actually have u on my block list bc I noticed a few months back u have a habit of commenting on Ppls threads and criticizing. But I applied the swirl Remover by hand first to really get it to set in. And you only claybar when Ur paint is really old. I recleared my car not too long ago clay bar would have been pointless and unnecessary. And thanks for the other advice but if I molded my spoiler and everything else trust me i know how to wash and detail my car
I don't mean to be rude or chime in on the "discussion" but:

1. In order for any wax to act on its full potential, car must be PROPERLY prepped

2. This prep CAN include polishing if you want to "remove" swirls by using proper polishes/compounds that are abrasive and cut into the clearcoat (not something you let sit, and then "fill" in the swirls temporarily). WG TSR 3.0 is a real "abrasive compound" which you need a proper pad and "speed" to break down your clearcoat to REMOVE scratches.....if you want something to sit, try Autoglym Super Resin Polish...it's full of fillers, which you can let it just sit for 10 minutes and then it will temporarily hide/cover light swirls for a few weeks tops

3. Before polishing, car MUST be clayed by remove contaminates that simply washing cannot remove.......even if you don't plan on polishing, this is still recommended about 2x a year (or 1x every 3-4 months) so the wax can be applied on a CLEAN surface

So, yes claying is indeed NECESSARY before waxing
You probably knows a lot of what I just said but I'm just trying to discuss from an unbiased side in which I think in THIS post specifically, karasha didn't do anything wrong and was giving you valuable advice.

Last edited by reyoasian; 07-05-12 at 08:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Wolfgang Car Products is THE TRUTH!