IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Its so hard to keep the car in PRISTINE condition as a daily driver

Old 07-05-12, 01:40 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know how you feel, all of last year I was working as an IT Manager and had to do trips back and forth to different client sites. It was hell on my car (dust/dirt wise). I'd be doing 100 miles a day sometimes on the highway and i'd have to wash the car at least once a week. Then on top of all of that I gotta worry about other people whenever I parked the car somewhere for work too. Fortunately for me, it's garaged so at least it remains safe at night, but sometimes I don't even want to take it out during the day cuz I know others don't always respect your stuff
Old 07-05-12, 04:46 AM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

daily driven here, with daily asshats who ding up my car.
Old 07-05-12, 07:25 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, it is hard as a daily. Mine was garaged where I previously lived, and after moving, it's just covered parking now. But at work, it's totally exposed on the street for about 12 hours a day =/. I try to wash mine at least once a week.
Old 07-05-12, 09:50 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Black cars are just the worst lol. I started my first job two weeks ago and before, I just sit around the house and go to school. A few days ago, I was washing my car and noticed rock chips and scratches I never seen before. And in Chicago, the air is dirty, it only takes one day for my car to be covered in dust even with wax on it.
Old 07-05-12, 10:26 AM
retaj
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sad to hear that other people have this problem too. Both of my rear wheel wells have been hit by people not being careful when the backing out of adjacent parking spaces.

Rocks and bugs just happen. I could probably use a respray.
Old 07-05-12, 10:54 AM
nociscokid
Driver School Candidate

As a daily driver too, it's a pain to keep them perfect. Parking in BFE helps, the other thing that has saved my paint job, is, i cover it every freakin day while i'm at work. Keeping the sun off of my baby has kept my car looking practically NEW since Sept 6, 2006. Everyone thought i was crazy at first and asked how long i would do this, my response, "As long as I have the car!".
Old 07-05-12, 11:38 AM
andcas7
Driver

Originally Posted by nociscokid
As a daily driver too, it's a pain to keep them perfect. Parking in BFE helps, the other thing that has saved my paint job, is, i cover it every freakin day while i'm at work. Keeping the sun off of my baby has kept my car looking practically NEW since Sept 6, 2006. Everyone thought i was crazy at first and asked how long i would do this, my response, "As long as I have the car!".
My current job has a covered parking garage, we will be moving to a new site without such thing, when I jokingly told my coworkers I would consider covering my car at work they thought I was crazy lol...

I probably won't be covering it but for sure it will be in BFE as I normally park everywhere I go, but if I find a deserted area in a parking lot WITH a camera around I also do that, just in case someone just WANTS to be an A-hole at least they'll get caught...

It has only been about 3 months since I got my car (USB) but I do have to wash it about every other week, not because it doesn't get too dirty, but because Miami's summer is all about rain, and as a downside of parking in the covered garage at my job, there is a lot of dust every time I park there.

Also, I do garage my car 70% of the time at home, 99% of the time after I have just washed it... So far so good.
Old 07-05-12, 02:04 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gplex1987
Im so tempted to buy a civic or 4cylinder as a daily but I dont want to pay for more insurance and maintaining another car will be some more $$$.

I was thinking of buying my dad's 97 mercedes for cheap but that thing eats up alot of gas and has really high mileage.
You might be surprised at how little it is to insure an older car. Especially with multi-car discounts and such, older cars are cheaper to insure. Then on top of that, you add in the fact that you wouldn't be running premium all that time, your maintenance on that car would be lower in cost (unless of course stuff is actually breaking), and if you're running a 350 you'd probably get better mpg out of another slower car.

You can always call up your ins company and request a quote to add a vehicle and see what it would be
Old 07-05-12, 03:07 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Us daily driven 2ISs do have a difficult time keeping our cars perfect. Here is my $0.02.

- It's daily driven. It's not a show car. It's going to get things hurled at it. Take precautions like getting a clear bra installed help out in the long run.
-Along with a clear bra, consider having someone apply a "permanent" sealant, such as CarPro C. Quartz or Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0. This will help reduce your swirl marks, ect. Info about both.
-STOP BUFFING YOUR CAR EVERY 6 MONTHS. Goodness gracious, you're going to run out of clear coat. I don't know what strength you're using as far as a polish/compound, but if you're doing this please invest in a paint meter. I understand maybe doing a light "paint cleanser", but be careful if you're going heavy duty.

PS -- Shouldn't this be in the detailing section....?