IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to remove shark fin antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-12, 05:22 AM
bluethx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove shark fin antenna?

Hi, i did a quick search on how to remove the shark fin and there are no threads that show how to remove it correctly. I was wondering if anyone knows the proper way.
FYI i need to remove the antenna because i am planning on wrapping my roof but if its too complicated i might just scrap the whole idea.

Thanks,
Old 06-29-12, 06:06 AM
dsage
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-antenna.html

heres how i removed mine. i didnt remove the headliner. you need to remove the rear dome light assembly by pull using your fingers to pry it down from the back (closest to the rear window). i had to pull it pretty hard (it felt like it was going to break). youll be able to see the nut that holds the fin about 3inch back. un clip it, unscrew it, unplug it, and there you go.
Old 07-02-13, 06:55 PM
drajm
Driver School Candidate

Default Shark fin antenna ISF 2009 replacement photos

Originally Posted by dsage
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-antenna.html

heres how i removed mine. i didnt remove the headliner. you need to remove the rear dome light assembly by pull using your fingers to pry it down from the back (closest to the rear window). i had to pull it pretty hard (it felt like it was going to break). youll be able to see the nut that holds the fin about 3inch back. un clip it, unscrew it, unplug it, and there you go.
I agree with above guide.

After an incident involving a garage door and my old antenna being ripped off - it was closing as I reversed out - I ordered a new one from Ebay (Hokori Motor $120). The colour was not a good match (new colour range I think) but part genuine so I removed the plastic cover from the new part (5 philips screws in base) then swapped the intact plastic cover from the old broken base.

I had already remove the rear light dome assembly by following instructions above - ie pry down with fingers from rear. As it sprung out a light switch was ejected from the assembly but is an easy click back in.

There is a green plastic cradle that slides forward from the antenna base and clips off - it holds the antenna plug and cable - I did not bother to reconnect as it makes no difference to my reception with or without the antenna : ) but if you want to fdo this you must attach something like a cord to the car end cable so you dont lose it in roof space.

Then it is annoying but you can get fingers and or flat plier onto the one nut that holds the antenna in the roof and unscrew taking care not to drop the nut/washer assembly (which is one unit) into roof space. Once that nut is off and out you can pop the antenna out of roof from above - it has some small clips on side that spring out to retain it (seen in photo - brass coloured) but you can pull up without too much force.

Then I replaced and managed to get the nut assembly back on with fingers while taking care not to drop it and to have the antenna cable coming forward in the blue "tray" of the washer.

Hope that helps someone else.
Attached Thumbnails How to remove shark fin antenna?-sharkfin1.jpg   How to remove shark fin antenna?-sharkfin2.jpg   How to remove shark fin antenna?-sharkfin4.jpg   How to remove shark fin antenna?-sharkfin5.jpg   How to remove shark fin antenna?-sharkfin6.jpg  

Old 07-03-13, 11:24 AM
hybr1d
Rookie

the screw is in the rear dome light, i didnt realize untill after I got carbon fiber vinyl roof done and the people that installed it told me they took off my antenna and put it back on.

btw, is Hokori Motor $120 the legit one with xm radio? just wondering, since my fin is white, since my car is starfire and i have a carbon fiber vinyl roof, so its black on white and i didnt want to paint my fin so i was thinking of buying a black one. but just curious so if i do want to change then ill know
Old 07-04-13, 08:20 AM
olp1069
Driver School Candidate

Why did you want to remove it? It doesn't look horrid or anything.
Old 07-08-13, 08:55 AM
hybr1d
Rookie

the OP posted in his first post

FYI i need to remove the antenna because i am planning on wrapping my roof but if its too complicated i might just scrap the whole idea
In terms of wrapping, its more better than having to wrap around it because of the shape of the fin
Old 07-28-13, 09:50 AM
amok727
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to bring up this old thread, i was trying to take off my rear dome light assembly, i tried to pull it from back where toward the rear widow, but this thing just doesn't want to come lose, since i don't want to break anything, so i stopped. I am just wondering if anyone has a picture of the back of the dome light assembly, i just want to see how that thing is attached to the roof. Thanks!

BTW I have a 09 is350, I am trying to wrap the roof today.
Old 07-29-13, 06:08 AM
amok727
Driver School Candidate

Anyone? Thanks!
Old 03-31-21, 05:38 PM
Jordan09
Driver School Candidate

Default Hey bro, do you know what size bolt is under the antenna ? What socket would I need.

Originally Posted by drajm
I agree with above guide.

After an incident involving a garage door and my old antenna being ripped off - it was closing as I reversed out - I ordered a new one from Ebay (Hokori Motor $120). The colour was not a good match (new colour range I think) but part genuine so I removed the plastic cover from the new part (5 philips screws in base) then swapped the intact plastic cover from the old broken base.

I had already remove the rear light dome assembly by following instructions above - ie pry down with fingers from rear. As it sprung out a light switch was ejected from the assembly but is an easy click back in.

There is a green plastic cradle that slides forward from the antenna base and clips off - it holds the antenna plug and cable - I did not bother to reconnect as it makes no difference to my reception with or without the antenna : ) but if you want to fdo this you must attach something like a cord to the car end cable so you dont lose it in roof space.

Then it is annoying but you can get fingers and or flat plier onto the one nut that holds the antenna in the roof and unscrew taking care not to drop the nut/washer assembly (which is one unit) into roof space. Once that nut is off and out you can pop the antenna out of roof from above - it has some small clips on side that spring out to retain it (seen in photo - brass coloured) but you can pull up without too much force.

Then I replaced and managed to get the nut assembly back on with fingers while taking care not to drop it and to have the antenna cable coming forward in the blue "tray" of the washer.

Hope that helps someone else.
hey bro,
Hey bro, do you know what size bolt is under the antenna ? What socket would I need that can fit the bolt ?? I’m having a hard time using a wrench