IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Replacing Wheels/Tires on a new Lexus...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-12, 10:44 AM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing Wheels/Tires on a new Lexus...

If you want to go with custom wheels/tires for a new purchase Lexus IS... what is the best way to go about that?

- what is the best way to sell off your stock rims/tires so it helps defray the cost of the custom rims/tires?

- just get stock rims/tires when configuring the new Lexus since you plan to replace them anyway?

- what can you expect to get for stock rims/tires on a brand new Lexus IS?

- do dealers work with customers when it comes to looking for custom rims/tires on a new unit?

Thanks in advance for any opinions or recommendations. I love all of the custom rims/tires members have uploaded and just wondered what would be the best way to go "custom' after buying a new Lexus IS350.
Old 06-17-12, 11:20 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look in the vendor section of Clublexus, there are a few sponsors (i.e. Vossen, FXauto, Wheeldude, etc) with some great deals on rims for CL members.

Easiest way to sell your stock wheels is to post them in the wheel/tire classified section here on CL, being in AZ you might have to offer shipping to sell them...I haven't seen that many members in the AZ area, but you never know! Might also want to post them on craigslist or something in your area to get more exposure. I would personally keep the stock wheels, since its better to sell a set of aftermarket wheels and put the stock wheels back on when selling a car. Plus you never know when you might need your stock wheels.

As far as getting rims from the dealer, yes they can do it, but I do not recommend wheel shopping thru the dealer. They will overcharge you for the wheels, tires and mounting. You'll save a lot of money if you buy the wheels on your own from a vendor, website, etc and then either get tires thru them too already mounted or buy them from a local tire shop.

Maybe post some sample pics of rims you like so people can offer suggestions?
Old 06-17-12, 12:46 PM
ZeroSeVen
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unc879wins
If you want to go with custom wheels/tires for a new purchase Lexus IS... what is the best way to go about that?

- what is the best way to sell off your stock rims/tires so it helps defray the cost of the custom rims/tires?

I suggest you keep your stock wheels/tires in storage. You'll get more return for your money if you sell your aftermarket wheels and just put back your stock wheels/tires if it's time to sell or trade in your vehicle.

- just get stock rims/tires when configuring the new Lexus since you plan to replace them anyway?

Just stick whatever wheel/tire package that comes with the car at time of purchase unless you want to upgrade to the 19 inch F-sport wheels.

- what can you expect to get for stock rims/tires on a brand new Lexus IS?

Not much even for a brand new or slighty used set.

- do dealers work with customers when it comes to looking for custom rims/tires on a new unit?

Most dealerships will only offer Lexus/ F-Sport wheel upgrades. There are only a few of them like Magnussen Lexus of Fremont who are also official distributors of Vossen wheels. Your best bet is to find the wheel of your choice from one of our many vendors at CL vendor marketplace.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or recommendations. I love all of the custom rims/tires members have uploaded and just wondered what would be the best way to go "custom' after buying a new Lexus IS350.
What is your definition of custom? There are manufacturers that allow you to select from a variety of offsets, lip color, center cap color but they cost $$$$