IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

P/S light + power steering failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 11:08 PM
adam`
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P/S light + power steering failure

Drove my 06 IS350 to work today no problems. Start the car to go for my lunch break and the P/S light is on and my power steering has disappeared. Tried ignition on and off a few times to no avail. Ended up having to manhandle the wheel all day to get around..

Dealer service has been booked for Monday, but in the meantime is there anything I can do to try to diagnose and fix it?

I've read I can upgrade to the IS-F power steering ECU if that's what's gone, and Sewell has it for about the same price as the replacement 06 350 part, but I'd really rather not put out any money at all.
Old 06-15-12, 05:52 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check P/S fluid level? while there may be leak in one of the hoses (common) you don't want that pump running empty. Fill if is empty and check and fill before every drive until it is fixed.
Old 06-15-12, 07:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Did you check P/S fluid level? while there may be leak in one of the hoses (common) you don't want that pump running empty. Fill if is empty and check and fill before every drive until it is fixed.
None of that is possible, given the 2IS doesn't have a PS pump or PS fluid. It's electric.

Pretty sure there was a recall for the steering on the 06 IS though so hopefully that's the problem and fix is free.
Old 06-15-12, 11:50 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
None of that is possible, given the 2IS doesn't have a PS pump or PS fluid. It's electric.

Pretty sure there was a recall for the steering on the 06 IS though so hopefully that's the problem and fix is free.
I guess you learn something new everyday.
Old 06-15-12, 12:04 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kurtz

x2

If the recall has already been done, it might possibly be the power steering ecu which is hefty to repair at the dealership if your out of warranty, but you can purchase another one and replace it yourself (i learned this the very expensive way)

An option of sports package steering ecu as well:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ering-ecu.html
Old 06-16-12, 01:26 AM
adam`
Driver School Candidate

Where can I get the best price on the ECU? Sewell has them for $600 but I notice a few people quoting $400. Nothing turns up on eBay either..
Old 06-16-12, 10:36 AM
JDMis350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same prob. 06 IS350 started my car one morning and P/S light came on and P/S was out. no previous bad driving or anything like that to cause dammage. dealer told me the car goes through a cycle everytime u turn it on and off.what they told me was i didnt let my car finish the DISENGAGING process before i tried to start it again. i told them this was the first start of the day but they insisted they knew thats what caused it, and said i probably did it the night before and not realizing it till the next day when i started the car to find out.so i really dont know what the true issue is but i was jus letting u know jus incase it turns out u had the same prob as me.
Old 01-31-13, 10:43 PM
kongvang
Driver School Candidate

Hi there, I have the same problem this morning and I am still trying to figure out how to fix it. It is kind of weird because it has also never happen to me before, my car has always runs great. How did u fix the problem, can u please help me out bro, I'm trying to save money and do it myself if it's possible. Thanks.
Old 02-01-13, 10:27 AM
tedward88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kongvang
Hi there, I have the same problem this morning and I am still trying to figure out how to fix it. It is kind of weird because it has also never happen to me before, my car has always runs great. How did u fix the problem, can u please help me out bro, I'm trying to save money and do it myself if it's possible. Thanks.
I'd start off with a ecu reset or just unplug the negative on the battery for a minute then back on. If it still doesn't disappear and come back, you may possibly have a fried PS ecu. My first step if I don't want to spend too much money is to find someone local or a used PS ecu and see if that's the issue. If the PS ecu is the issue, either buy a new one or a used one. Last case scenario would and should be bring it to the dealership.

FYI its perfectly fine to drive, but just be careful because as I'm sure you already know, the car is very heavy and that makes steering the car a lot harder if not in momentum.

Oh, also if you haven't already done so, go here and sign up with your car's vin number to see if the PS recall has been done yet, that could be the culprit. Good luck!

Last edited by tedward88; 02-01-13 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-04-13, 10:25 PM
kongvang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tedward88
I'd start off with a ecu reset or just unplug the negative on the battery for a minute then back on. If it still doesn't disappear and come back, you may possibly have a fried PS ecu. My first step if I don't want to spend too much money is to find someone local or a used PS ecu and see if that's the issue. If the PS ecu is the issue, either buy a new one or a used one. Last case scenario would and should be bring it to the dealership.

FYI its perfectly fine to drive, but just be careful because as I'm sure you already know, the car is very heavy and that makes steering the car a lot harder if not in momentum.

Oh, also if you haven't already done so, go here and sign up with your car's vin number to see if the PS recall has been done yet, that could be the culprit. Good luck!
hi they can anyone show me were is the power steering ecu located at on the is350 i cant find it thanks
Old 02-05-13, 03:59 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

The power steering ECU is under the battery.

Jeff
Old 02-05-13, 05:16 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

It happens to my car and the problem is the alternator went bad. Replace it and all the problem is gone.
Old 04-11-17, 12:10 PM
CBLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Default PS light came on

my 07 IS250AWD P/S light just came on, PS is difficult to steer, does this mean the ECU is bad?
Old 04-11-17, 01:12 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

It could mean a few things. Best bet is to check the codes first and proceed from there with your diagnosis. It is likely the ECU or the rack itself, however it could also be other things.

Jeff
Old 04-11-17, 03:11 PM
CBLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Can I try first to reset the ECU?? dO YOU THINK THAT WILL WORK?

Quick Reply: P/S light + power steering failure