IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Weird smell from AC vents..?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-12, 06:35 PM
bboysunone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingster
There is nothing worst than having your owsome date in your luxury leather interior but not knowing what to tell her because it smells as if you had a public urinal in your car as well.
Now I understand some girls not wanting a second date.
Lol I have the same problem . In my car The vent smell like public bathrooms. I m gonna try lysol.
Old 07-27-12, 03:41 PM
Kevin350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 years old car here and no smell yet. I always turn AC off a few miles before I get home and let outside air in. Sometime I just let the fan run only to dry up all the moisture from the AC. no mold build up equal no smell.

Last edited by Kevin350; 07-27-12 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-28-12, 01:28 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
I frequently vacation with this car in coastal South Carolina, where the summer humidity is crazy high. Even on the steamiest days, the A/C wrings out the moisture in a matter of minutes. In fact, I've never had a car that dehumidifies as well as my IS350.

The musty smell is not because the A/C is not removing enough water from the air. The smell is because of mildew and fungus growing right on the evaporator coil.

Which raises the question: Why is fungi growing on the evap coil? Any reasons that it likes the IS250 better than any other car I have owned in my life?

Originally Posted by Bichon
Sorry, but that is simply not true. As I said before, the A/C in the IS does not cycle on and off. Instead, as the set point is neared, the blower speed is reduced, while at the same time the output of the compressor (and in turn the heat removal capacity) is reduced enough to keep the evaporator coil ice cold (for maximum dehumidification), but warm enough to prevent it from freezing up.

With the fan speed and compressor output reduced, it works just like a smaller unit. You get to have your cake and eat it too.

What you say is totally on-point when sizing an A/C unit for your home or office, a well insulated space being cooled by a unit with a fixed capacity compressor -- but not to your car, which has a variable speed blower, and variable output compressor, and a practically insatiable heat load owing to the fact that it is an uninsulated metal and glass enclosed space.
Good points. As I mentioned earlier I was not aware of the compressor for this car. However, my ac blower does slow down considerably in a few minutes. So it must have reached the temp @ the vent at least, maybe not the cabin.
Old 07-30-12, 01:53 PM
jason36
Driver School Candidate

Anyone brought their car back to Lexus? I'm still getting the smell . I've did the heater treatment twice, both for ten minutes on full blast, I put the air on fresh air mode now, and before I reach my destination (3-5 minutes away) I turn off the ac and just let the fan blow. And I'm still getting the smell at startup. What else can I do? Should I just take it to Lexus?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-30-12, 07:00 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Have you try spraying it with one of those spray cans mentioned? The place to spray is outside the car on the vents by the wipers and the vents inside.
Old 07-30-12, 08:02 PM
jason36
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Have you try spraying it with one of those spray cans mentioned? The place to spray is outside the car on the vents by the wipers and the vents inside.
I just did today, hopefully it'll be gone for good. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-01-12, 12:25 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went over a long trip this weekend and noticed that the smell starts right when the AC blower starts slowing down. Evidently, in doing so the ability of removing moisture is also being lost and causing this urinal smell. So Bichon, whatever variable type compressor that Lexus is using is not working correctly. That much I can tell.
Old 08-01-12, 06:54 PM
AggieOne
Driver School Candidate

Posted this on another thread...

If it last longer than 10-30 seconds of operation, just run the A/C on fresh air prior to turning off to minimize the condition, however, there might be a is TSB that might apply.

L-SB-0146-11
Under certain temperature conditions some vehicles may exhibit an unpleasant odor coming from the face level HVAC vents during the initial 10 - 30 seconds of HVAC system operation. An HVAC Amplifier is now available with updated logic that will direct air away from the face level vents under certain temperature conditions during the first 10 - 30 seconds of HVAC operation
Old 08-01-12, 07:57 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

You guys need a fogger! This stuff is amazing! Put one in the car and let it sit over night, it will kill all the nasty funk everything and make your car smell good. It's what a lot of car dealers use when the get a really funky car, sure its over kill but well worth.

http://www.autogeek.net/odor-bomb-car-fogger.html
Old 08-02-12, 04:16 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
You guys need a fogger! This stuff is amazing! Put one in the car and let it sit over night, it will kill all the nasty funk everything and make your car smell good. It's what a lot of car dealers use when the get a really funky car, sure its over kill but well worth.

http://www.autogeek.net/odor-bomb-car-fogger.html
That's not a fogger, that is just another aerosol spray, but with a locking tab to release the entire can without holding it. A true fogger used by the dealer is a pump driven mister with variable flow rates. They then use the proper concentration of anti fungal and anti bacterial chemicals to permeate the car's space as well as the ventilation system. In this case, there is no need for it, the rest of the car doesn't smell, just the evaporator part of the ventilation system does.
Old 08-02-12, 04:53 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
That's not a fogger, that is just another aerosol spray, but with a locking tab to release the entire can without holding it. A true fogger used by the dealer is a pump driven mister with variable flow rates. They then use the proper concentration of anti fungal and anti bacterial chemicals to permeate the car's space as well as the ventilation system. In this case, there is no need for it, the rest of the car doesn't smell, just the evaporator part of the ventilation system does.
This is different then regular aerosol this stuff clings to the funk and kills it. I know the machine you are talking about, a lot of detailers use them. But that machine is expensive, this is a better solution to fighting funk.

Years back I used to flip cars, I had this one trailblazer I purchased, that had a really funky odor. Smelled like really bad baby diapers/molded funk. We tried steamed/shampooed the carpet 3 times, with no luck the smell was still there. Then we removed all the leather seats, carpet and shampooed pressure washed everything still we were unable to remove the smell. I used a full can of this stuff and the smell was completely gone, the customer stopped by less then month later to finish the payment and I smelled inside the SUV and it was gone and still had that new car scent
Old 08-02-12, 07:47 AM
Herofmine
Pole Position

I think lexus cars has this problem, i have my work car "Ford" never had this kind of problem before i had 2 nissan maxima didn't have such a problem but my lexus smells bad when i start ac. I have tried everything all kind of sprays, carbon cabin filter, took it to dealer none of them help it just reduce the smell for 15% maybe.
Old 07-21-13, 08:48 PM
nosurprise
Racer

So the smell is back! Setting the AC to fresh air doesn't help. Since after I got rid of the smell, I manually keep the car in fresh air mode, as summer starts, the smell comes back!

Recently, I rented out a Nissan Maxima (2011?), it has the exact same smell. Now I'm thinking probably all car with similar AC design will have that smell.

The only way for the smell to not come back is to do as one of the poster suggests -- turn off the AC for about 5 minutes before stopping the car for the day (sometimes I set to hot air). I found that I don't have to do this every day, just once a week or every other week and the smell doesn't come back.
Old 07-22-13, 03:34 PM
BugginOuT
Driver School Candidate

I noticed the musty smell when NJ had the week long heat wave, where every time I turned the AC on, it would smell bad but eventually cleared up. Didn't noticed it today when the weather was in the 82's.

Can anyone share a photo where you're supposed to spray the Lysol?
Old 07-22-13, 03:54 PM
nosurprise
Racer

You spray it here. It's close by the wipers with grating opening.
Attached Thumbnails Weird smell from AC vents..?-2008_lexus_is_250_sd_av.jpg  

Quick Reply: Weird smell from AC vents..?