IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Weird smell from AC vents..?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 06:44 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

When you're 3-5 minutes from home, switch to the fresh air setting, this will really help dry the vents from the resirculation mode.
Old 06-05-12, 12:10 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How did it end up working out for you? I figured the freshner from Sewell would have done the trick. guess there are always other options than throwing money at your problems... lol
Old 06-05-12, 10:47 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

So I reduce the sensitivity of the smog sensor, and the car seems to automatically go to fresh air more often, and the smell seems to be gone ... let me know if this is just a coincidence and I need to increase the sensitivity ...

Isn't the condensing unit the thing with the funky wires normally under the hood? My car is still under warranty for a few months, but my dash is pretty much rattle free. I don't want them to take it out and then it would rattle like some people reported here :/

Originally Posted by Tvanallen
If your car is still under warranty...good news, there is a fix. If not, you may not want to read this cause it will probably be very expensive.

I bought a 2008 IS 250 with 25,000 miles on it and this smell started the first summer. We took it in and they did an Ozone machine treatment, didn't work. Then they did the foam treatment, worked for a week. Took it back and they took the whole dash out and replaced the condensing unit and said that they had improved the design of the system since my car was made as it retained moisture in whatever material is surrounding the system. They also said that leaving the A/C in recirculating adds to the moisture build up and that if I could remember to switch it to outside air before turning the car off..ya right.

I have no more smell after the change out.
Old 06-06-12, 07:01 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have tried every single method that has been suggested in this thread, even had my ac condensor replaced per the tsb. Even after the TSB the smell returned and the only thing that I have found to work 100% is a air conditioner deoderizer. Here is the specific one I use http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0440&ppt=C0090 I am sure that your local auto store sells something similar and I followed the directions on the can. I used one can in the begining of the summer last year, and still no mold smell has returned.
Old 06-09-12, 12:00 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by is150
I have tried every single method that has been suggested in this thread, even had my ac condensor replaced per the tsb. Even after the TSB the smell returned and the only thing that I have found to work 100% is a air conditioner deoderizer. Here is the specific one I use http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0440&ppt=C0090 I am sure that your local auto store sells something similar and I followed the directions on the can. I used one can in the begining of the summer last year, and still no mold smell has returned.
So do you just spray it on the vent below the windshield?
Old 06-12-12, 09:01 PM
KINETICS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ thanks! I will pick one up tomorrow
Old 07-20-12, 11:37 AM
jason36
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem and my car's only two months old. I've been reading the previous comments and it seems to me that their cars are a couple years old while mine is brand new and I'm getting this smell. It kind of worries me. Should I do the steps above and just put it in fresh air mode before I reach my destination or should I call my dealer and explain to them this problem?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-12, 11:45 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chi123
You can get the A/C refresher kit but no one seems to have directions on how to use it. You can also find carbon filters on Amazon either generic brands or from Wix for under $15. I noticed the carbon filter really makes no difference. I also used the A/C refresher kit but put it through the wrong hole lol so bottle wasted.
The Toyota kit comes with a foaming evaporator cleaner and a ventilation spray. The ventilation spray is used just like any other air freshnener, in fact, Lysol through the ventilation system would work just as well, if not better. The evaporator foam gets sprayed in the evap core through the drain tube. Let it sit for a while, and then run the AC as normal and the cleaner will drain with the condensate. Off course this assumes the drain hole is clear, since if it is plugged, it is a different issue covered under a TSB.
Old 07-20-12, 11:49 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The real problem is that the AC is too powerful for the car. Which means it cools real fast. But the drawback is that it is no longer working efficiently and removing the moisture. One way to beat it is to bring the temp real down, say 68F. That will make it work more and extract the moisture out all the time.
Old 07-20-12, 10:35 PM
jason36
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chikoo
The real problem is that the AC is too powerful for the car. Which means it cools real fast. But the drawback is that it is no longer working efficiently and removing the moisture. One way to beat it is to bring the temp real down, say 68F. That will make it work more and extract the moisture out all the time.
Does this go for the newer models too?
Old 07-21-12, 06:37 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

The real problem is that the AC is too powerful for the car. Which means it cools real fast. But the drawback is that it is no longer working efficiently and removing the moisture.
Not true. The IS has a variable displacement compressor that utilizes a swash plate to dynamically alter the stroke of the piston, and in turn the heat removal capacity of the system.

Haven't you noticed that the compressor in the IS doesn't cycle on and off like those in older cars did?

That's because the HVAC controller can change the pumping capacity of the compressor from 100% to near zero in order to meet the cooling load. It can also temporarily reduce capacity during hard acceleration to reduce the parasitic load on the engine.
Old 07-21-12, 08:59 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I never noticed that because in my earlier car I could not notice it either.

Anyways, it is good to know this. That said, there is definitely an issue in drawing out the moisture, making the air smell musty.

If the air conditioner is too big, it will cool the space without running long enough to take the moisture out of the car. If we want it to run longer to dehumidify, we have to turn down the thermostat, making the car colder than we want.

Try out the suggestion of lowering the temp way down and see if the musty smell goes away or not.
Old 07-22-12, 12:29 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

One way to beat it is to bring the temp real down, say 68F. That will make it work more and extract the moisture out all the time.
I'm not sure I would call freezing my *** off beating it though :p Anyways, my car smell is gone after I changed the setting; I also did the spray thing just in case.
Old 07-22-12, 04:16 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

That said, there is definitely an issue in drawing out the moisture, making the air smell musty.
I frequently vacation with this car in coastal South Carolina, where the summer humidity is crazy high. Even on the steamiest days, the A/C wrings out the moisture in a matter of minutes. In fact, I've never had a car that dehumidifies as well as my IS350.

The musty smell is not because the A/C is not removing enough water from the air. The smell is because of mildew and fungus growing right on the evaporator coil.

If the air conditioner is too big, it will cool the space without running long enough to take the moisture out of the car. If we want it to run longer to dehumidify, we have to turn down the thermostat, making the car colder than we want.
Sorry, but that is simply not true. As I said before, the A/C in the IS does not cycle on and off. Instead, as the set point is neared, the blower speed is reduced, while at the same time the output of the compressor (and in turn the heat removal capacity) is reduced enough to keep the evaporator coil ice cold (for maximum dehumidification), but warm enough to prevent it from freezing up.

With the fan speed and compressor output reduced, it works just like a smaller unit. You get to have your cake and eat it too.

What you say is totally on-point when sizing an A/C unit for your home or office, a well insulated space being cooled by a unit with a fixed capacity compressor -- but not to your car, which has a variable speed blower, and variable output compressor, and a practically insatiable heat load owing to the fact that it is an uninsulated metal and glass enclosed space.
Old 07-22-12, 06:17 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, what is the conclusion/solution to this issue?

For me, I always turn the A/C off 3-5 minutes before I reach home and turn up the fan to blow the moisture out of evaporator as much as possible. This works for my case. I no longer get nasty smell from the vent when I turn on the A/C system in the morning.

Quick Reply: Weird smell from AC vents..?