3sgte_slow
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, painters tape is where it's at
Old 05-14-12, 03:07 PM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i wanna see a picture of these monstrousaties....im assuming this is for people that barely ever drive on the highway, where as i do this everyday
Old 05-14-12, 04:18 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silvaIS
i wanna see a picture of these monstrousaties....im assuming this is for people that barely ever drive on the highway, where as i do this everyday
This is for people taking roadtrips where their vehicle will be on the highway for an extended period of time.
Old 05-14-12, 04:19 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there a proper method to do it?
Old 05-14-12, 04:20 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MAKE SURE YOU USE 3M BLUE TAPE!!!!

Some of the no-name blue tapes will leave a messy residue behind if it gets hot enough.
i've used 3M blue painters tape multiple times without any residue being left on the car.
I've seen the mess no-name tapes make, and some other users here have reported it too...plus 3M tape is only $6

Here's a pic of mine that I did for a Socal to Norcal trip...

Some people like to have fun with it, here's a pic of member Enrikito blue tape job...
Old 05-14-12, 04:22 PM
piguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aspeckt
is there a proper method to do it?
From the reading I've done so far, make sure you go top-down and overlap the edges. This will prevent the wind from catching the bottom edges of the tape and lifting it up.
Old 05-14-12, 04:27 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

^ Yep, and do the entire front bumper, bottom 1/4 of the hood (at least) and the front facing portion of the mirrors. Some people like to do the roof too right above the windshield.
Old 05-14-12, 04:42 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

The blue tape is so ghetto. I'd be embarrassed driving like that, and laugh at people that I see with it on the highway. Track day is a bit more forgivable. Clear film or custom bra from Colgan (http://www.colgancustom.com/) has a bit more appeal.
Old 05-14-12, 04:51 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TimboIS
The blue tape is so ghetto. I'd be embarrassed driving like that, and laugh at people that I see with it on the highway. Track day is a bit more forgivable. Clear film or custom bra from Colgan (http://www.colgancustom.com/) has a bit more appeal.
Funny, I laugh when I see people with those ugly leather/vinyl car bra's

Clear bra isn't worth it to me...its $400+ and then it yellows overtime. Which is very apparent on a white car.

I could careless if people laugh at me with the blue tape though....it makes cleaning off bugs super quick and at least my front end wont have tens of tiny rock chips all over after a long trip.
Old 05-14-12, 05:02 PM
kingster
Pole Position

Igree on clear bra!! It may cost $400 but will give you peace of mind 24/7/365 and the number of years it will proctec your front end. Tape $6 (one car may need two depending how well and how much of your car you want to cover) round trip + the time it takes to put on and take off.
Anyway, cars do get damage even on regular highways when the communte is 15-30 miles. Clear bra is the best way!!
Old 05-14-12, 05:07 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Clear bra isn't worth it to me...its $400+ and then it yellows overtime. Which is very apparent on a white car.
The tape is very thin. It may protect against dust and sand, but not gravel over 3/16".

The cheap film may yellow over time. I've had no issues with the paint protection film installed by Premier.
Old 05-14-12, 05:37 PM
piguy
Driver School Candidate

I agree the blue tape seems/looks kind of silly, especially since my car is my DD. But the 5 is a relatively bad road, at least compared to my commute, and has tons of trucks. If I make this trip twice a year, that's 1600 miles a year. Typical annual highway mileage would probably be about 6-7000 miles, not including said trips.

So annually I'd be spending about $12 + some time to effectively reduce the highway wear/tear on my front by 20-25%. I think that's worth it.
Old 05-14-12, 06:46 PM
kingster
Pole Position

I personally have driven many times to Vegas, Laughlin and San Diego and don't experience much of this issues with debris damaging my fron end. I have what I call, "Normal wear and tear on my front end."
Which is the best way to do it?
This is the formula
Be the leader not the follower on these roads. If you can't be the leader, don't drive to close to other vehicles in front of you. Best when you keep your distance between small, medium large (big trucks) automobiles. It will avoid your car from getting badly damage by debris or rear ending the car in front of you. Just sharing what I do when taking long or short trips on 65/70MPH roads. Eventhough, I really go over state's speed limits some times.
Old 05-14-12, 07:35 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by kingster
I personally have driven many times to Vegas, Laughlin and San Diego and don't experience much of this issues with debris damaging my fron end. I have what I call, "Normal wear and tear on my front end."
Which is the best way to do it?
This is the formula
Be the leader not the follower on these roads. If you can't be the leader, don't drive to close to other vehicles in front of you. Best when you keep your distance between small, medium large (big trucks) automobiles. It will avoid your car from getting badly damage by debris or rear ending the car in front of you. Just sharing what I do when taking long or short trips on 65/70MPH roads. Eventhough, I really go over state's speed limits some times.
+1
Old 05-14-12, 08:18 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by o7iS250
Clear bra=$250-$400 average, painters tape= $6 one roll....hmmmm

yes, but the clear bra doesn't look cheesy going down the road.

Quick Reply: Blue Tape???