IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Michelin Primacy MXM4 on a IS250 AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 05:25 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cchase231
I have the mxm4s on my car right now. I was hoping that they would be nice and quiet, however that has not been my experience. On certain types of pavement they roar so loud I was starting to think I have a bad wheel bearing. Also, 1 year into them (about 10,000 miles) I had two of them bubble badly and one of them blow out on the highway. That is not necessarily the fault of the tires as Michigan roads are littered with pot holes, but I don't recall hitting any major pot holes and I am the only driver of my car. The tires are a little squirmy at higher speeds, they seem to like to pull you side to side, it feels similar to when you get hit by a gust of wind. I think I have the same vibration that you are talking about. It is slight at high speeds, but noticeable. I had an alignment done, wheels checked and tires balanced twice, once at discount tire and once at the Lexus dealership, but none of it remedied the problem. It was present before I had the mxm4s put on and I thought the new tires might fix it, then I thought maybe a wheel was bad, but both shops said they were fine. Now I'm thinking it's wither a wheel bearing or something in the brakes (which will need changing soon). Wish I could be more help because I know how annoying especially when the shops and dealership make you feel like you're be an **** retentive jackass.
That feeling of left to right sway you are feeling is not only on the grooved highways (M10 Lodge or other highways with grooves) is it? They make some of my cars feel left to right sway a bit due to those annoying deep grooves for rain run off. But the cars are fine on other tarmacs and asphalt highways.
Old 05-09-12, 06:36 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by panjfj
Sango, have u heard of this drifting problem on the Michelins?
Not myself personally. When I gotten the A/S Plus tires from the IS, I just bought them within a month of owning the car and choose it based of tire rack ranking (didn't really read comments).

Family members have been using Michelins on all our cars for years, no problem. Also did not have any issues about recieving a bad batch of tires when getting them. Car was alwayys aligned with a new set of tires.

On the side, if you feel like the car wants to drift to the left or right on a non flat road, it is likely due to the crown and ruts on the road. Note, since these are low profile tires, the larger the size, the more it will do it because there is less tire deflection, not mentioning the road noise; on the plus side you have better car response and performance.
Old 05-09-12, 07:28 PM
panjfj
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what tires do u have on your lexus and what lexus is it?

It would be nice to hear from someone with an IS and the RE970s
Old 05-09-12, 07:52 PM
Sango
Pole Position

- For the 07 250 AWD: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
- For 11 250 RWD: 18" Bridgestone Turanza ER33 Summer (these stock tires are bad!!)/ 18" Bridgestone Blizzak Winter
-> Plan: Wear out the stock summer tires. Then going to go with 19" Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summer tires.
Old 05-09-12, 09:00 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

what tires do u have on your lexus and what lexus is it?

It would be nice to hear from someone with an IS and the RE970s
To be honest. While not a guy with an IS sedan but an 2006 GS and now a 2013 GS F-Sport along with other cars including BMW 335xi coupe and 5 sedan that I sold as well as a 2006 Audi A8L and 2010 Mercedes Ml350, in my experience Michelins will always WIN and always is the longest lasting tire with smoothness, less noise, less vibration and better quality then any other brand out there. Bridgestones are second after Michelins. Our 970 A/s are my favorite tires next to Michelin Primacy lineup. The 970 A/S are the ones I choose for my father because of good grip, warranty of 45k miles, better qualities (less defect) and smoothness according to reviews. In additon they perform well in snow even though I have a 19 inch winter set with Blizzaks LM60 tires for heavy snow since my father drives from Bloomfield Hills to Grand Blanc for work during weekdays.

You will be very happy with the new Bridgestone RE970 A/S tires when living down in Indiana. I would not hesitate to order them. They balanced almost perfectly on the Audi rims with less than 1 ounce of weight and less than 10 lbs of road force!!! That's simply perfect! Bridgestones are also a great quality brand with strict quality control like Michelins. Continental on the other hand is a joke.
Old 05-09-12, 09:08 PM
panjfj
Rookie

thanks man! Im now swayed between the RE970AS and the Pilot Sport A/S Plus...

Concerns for the Bridgestones is the noise and comfort. For the Michelins is the drifting, comfort and thread wear.

I have to email the Discount tire manager before i sleep which is in a couple hours and make a decision!!

I know either manufacturer will allow me to return and swap tires if i did not like them? Am i right
Old 05-10-12, 08:01 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Yes, Michelin has a 30 day promise try out guarantee and so does Bridgestones. You will be pleasantly surprised as how smooth and how nice the Bridgestone RE970 goes over bumps and bad roads. They soak them up so nicely compared to other Bridgestone tires out there and that what made me happy. I was initially worried about the noise and harshness that are typical of some bridgestone tires but this one is very nice and almost better then some Michelins! Pilot Sport A/S are very good too but its just the pulling that could happen but lately with the new plus version the pulling problems have been eliminated mostly which is good.

Glad to be of help!
Old 05-10-12, 08:41 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Another vote to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ here. I put them on my IS a couple of years ago and find they are quiet, comfortable and provide good year round use here in New England.

I also upsized from 45 to 50 series for a little more sidewall comfort with these stiffer sport tires vs what the OEM tires were and I'm very happy I did.

Sango, have u heard of this drifting problem on the Michelins?
Nope never heard this for the IS. I do remember back in 06 or 07 there were some complaints about this with the 3GS but not sure if those were ever substantiated but regardless nothing I know about with the IS.

Good luck in your search.
Old 05-10-12, 08:53 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

my brother has the re970 on his g37xS and he loves them, I used to have the DWS and i had no vibrations, just issues with tire bubbles from minor potholes, i guess thats the issue of the soft sidewall
Old 05-10-12, 11:48 PM
panjfj
Rookie

so i finally put on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. Firstly, i would say that my ride and drive has improved. However, i am shocked at the road noise! It is almost unbearable.

I have only put 40 miles on it, but now on the freeway, my radio volume is at 20 while previously 13-14 would have been perfect. Even going ad 20 in my parking lot has some noise where previously there was not. Is it just because it is new and needs time to settle?
Old 05-10-12, 11:54 PM
Sango
Pole Position

You do have longer lasting tires so they are built ot last, may have some noise. My volume was normally put around 24-26 range at freeway speed.

This also includes the summer/winter tires too but I keep the same volume levels and it seems fine to me.
Old 05-11-12, 12:05 AM
panjfj
Rookie

wow, with my DWS previously, the DSP could handle the sound leveling. Now when i exit the free way i need to change the volume.. I am surprised that people actually say that it is a very quiet tire..
Old 05-11-12, 04:38 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

wow, with my DWS previously, the DSP could handle the sound leveling. Now when i exit the free way i need to change the volume.. I am surprised that people actually say that it is a very quiet tire..
Congrat's on your purchase... You might want to check the air pressure in your tires just in case. Other than that I think when we say "quieter tire" it's all about perspective. What I mean is many of us with AWD 06's (at least me ) were coming off the OEM Bridgestone RE92s that came with our car and yes the Michelin's are much much quieter.

Good Luck, and thanks for keeping us posted, please continue.
Old 05-12-12, 10:57 PM
panjfj
Rookie

anyone can recommend a grand touring tire? MXM4s seem interesting but the very few reviews available on the 2IS were generally poor..

Also does lower pressure cause more road noise versus higher pressure? What is the reason someone would put more air than the recommendation on the door panel of 35 Front and 37 Rear?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-12, 11:02 PM
Sango
Pole Position

What is the reason someone would put more air than the recommendation on the door panel of 35 Front and 37 Rear?
Lexus's recommendation is more geared toward performance. In doing so, the tire has to work harder, therefore reduces tire life.

To maximize tire life (my tire tech recommended me), a recommended would be 38-40 front, 36-38 rear as the tire does not have to work as hard.

Quick Reply: Michelin Primacy MXM4 on a IS250 AWD?