IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 vs 550i

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-12, 06:48 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant wait for the video

Ask em to race backwards to. Just because.
Old 05-04-12, 06:49 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Herofmine
Hello guys, i need some of your opinions before doing this, i have a friend who has 2008 BMW 550i
We had an argument so he wants to race with me next week and he has announced it all over facebook promising everyone how he is gonna smoke my car. I have no doubts myself just curious what you guys think about this?

Any suggestions before i go to race?

Thanks!
Gonna be close with a 2008. Certainly no black and white. You may have the edge to 60, but he may have the edge on the quarter mile.

But my 2012 550i Dinan Stage 2 has been doing 4.1-4.2 seconds to 60 on the dragstrip.
Old 05-04-12, 07:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

surprised no one's thrown out 2008 550i numbers:

4.8L V8 360hp @ 6300 and 360lbft @ 3400
base curb weight of 3946
Old 05-04-12, 07:32 PM
Herofmine
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The car is designed for 91.

Anything lower will slow you down, anything higher is useless.

Your imagination.

Power output is identical in both cases.

But ECT-Power will shift at a lower RPM in a 0-to-some-speed floor the gas race... which is the opposite of what you want.

Normal mode for the quickest 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

No.

In fact it mentions at least 2 or 3 times in the owners manual to never tow with an ISx50.

Power mode is useful in part-throttle and on/off throttle and brake type driving. (ie weaving through traffic type stuff) not drag racing.

Here's what ECT-Power actually does, straight from Lexus:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5807368-post24.html
Originally Posted by Vroomin350
so much fail in this thread. just go to the "track" line up next to him, take off VSC TRAC and DONT brake launch, you wont get it down right.

KURTZ
I know your a god when it comes to these cars but ETC POWER (under FULL pedal depression) actually makes your gear last longer not shorter. Still I would leave it on D and not touch anything else but the TRAC/VSC off button....

and if you cant seem to beat him out of the whole, ask him to do a 20 mph race... use the paddle shifters (1st gear) to hold you at a contanst high rpm, count to 3 and drop the hammer.
yup i will try that too thanks!

Originally Posted by anthrax144
This is correct. Only thing you want to do to prepare for the race is to turn off traction control. Leave everything else the same(shifter in D, ECT normal). You should lower your tire pressure to around 30psi in the rear to improve traction. Brake torquing before the start to around 2k to 2.5k rpm's will give you the best launch. You can safely brake torque for 3 secs without damaging the transmission but I wouldn't do it any longer than that.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
So rear tire pressure should be 30 psi? What about front?
Ok here is the question about breaking torque should i have to keep my foot on break and same time keep it on 2.5 rpm.? Is that how it works?
Sorry never did it before)). I raced before but not with automatic cars.
so it's better to take out all engine covers?

I will try mybest to make a video of it but i don't want to taking myself, i'll try to take one of my friends to take some videos.

thanks a lot for advices!!!

Last edited by Herofmine; 05-04-12 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-04-12, 07:36 PM
Herofmine
Pole Position

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Gonna be close with a 2008. Certainly no black and white. You may have the edge to 60, but he may have the edge on the quarter mile.

But my 2012 550i Dinan Stage 2 has been doing 4.1-4.2 seconds to 60 on the dragstrip.
2012 has different engine with "Twin Turbo" charged, it will smoke even ISF=))
I would never race with 2012 550i unless if i had gtr or lfa)))
Old 05-04-12, 08:22 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup i will try that too thanks!

Ok here is the question about breaking torque should i have to keep my foot on break and same time keep it on 2.5 rpm.? Is that how it works?

I will try mybest to make a video of it but i don't want to taking myself, i'll try to take one of my friends to take some videos.

Hopefully not from the passenger seat. You'll lose every time with that kind of extra weight.
Old 05-05-12, 08:05 AM
wilwilB
Driver

take a big dump right before you race to save some weight. no just kidding, or am i?!
Old 05-05-12, 02:24 PM
ramainli
Driver School Candidate

Might as well stick a feeding tube down your nose a month prior and lose some extra lbs.
Old 05-05-12, 03:24 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Yes, left foot hard on the brake while giving a little pressure on the gas pedal to get the RPM's up to around 2500 (might need to be less depending on how sticky your tires are.) When you get the go, jam the gas and let off the brake at the same time. Again, don't do this for longer than 2 or 3 seconds before launch as it's hard on the tranny.

Don't mess with the front tire pressure, 35-38 psi is fine. And the engine covers don't weigh hardly anything so, personally, I wouldn't bother. You could take out the back seat though, it comes out easy with just a good tug on the front lower portion along with anything in the trunk, center console, and glove box. No passengers unless he has a passenger as well.
Old 05-05-12, 06:42 PM
Blacklexie
Driver School Candidate

Hello guys, i need some of your opinions before doing this, i have a friend who has 2008 BMW 550i
We had an argument so he wants to race with me next week and he has announced it all over facebook promising everyone how he is gonna smoke my car. I have no doubts myself just curious what you guys think about this?

Any suggestions before i go to race?

Thanks!
My suggestion is remove as much wieght as possible. Remove you spear tire and jack in the trunk. Spend few bucks on kn air filter it will add prolly 1hp little helps. And if you cam remove your back seat it if allow. Good luck. And let me know how it goes....
Old 05-05-12, 10:23 PM
2genIS
Pole Position

cant wait for this........ race of the century.. lol... good luck bro.. show him the IS power
Old 05-05-12, 11:28 PM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blacklexie
My suggestion is remove as much wieght as possible. Remove you spear tire and jack in the trunk. Spend few bucks on kn air filter it will add prolly 1hp little helps. And if you cam remove your back seat it if allow. Good luck. And let me know how it goes....
Why stop there? Keep going!

Old 05-06-12, 04:52 AM
yoegster
Driver

Originally Posted by wilwilB
take a big dump right before you race to save some weight. no just kidding, or am i?!
Great!
Go on a diet, win race.
Old 05-06-12, 05:51 AM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

This thread is hilarious, i'm sure the guy in the BMW will just get in and drive, no need to remove anything, just launch properly and see what happens.
Old 05-06-12, 06:45 AM
GaryH53
Driver School Candidate

I can't wait for the results. Should be a really interesting race!

Quick Reply: IS350 vs 550i