IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New to CL, was wondering if this is a good deal.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-12, 12:29 AM
k3u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, thanks for all the input guys. However, I forgot to mention I'm only 19 years old. So, I may be lurking longer than expected. Of course, I'm in no rush and many people have pointed out many true things.

Pros:
- It's a really nice car, perfect combination for me. (Exterior, interior, mileage, RWD, etc.)
- Pretty decent deal, better than any deal I can find in Arizona (including Craigslist)

Cons:
- I can't see the car physically, so I can't check for cracks/dents
- It's not pre-certified.
- Shipping, out of state
- Maintenance was not posted, could be at a different dealership
- 19 year old College student (Not entirely sure if this is a con)
Old 04-25-12, 10:31 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As for being 19 and college, that would be a con most likely. Unless you got deep pockets/rich and have all your financials settled, working full time, sure no problem.

- First your typical college student does not need a luxury car. A non-luxury or a beater car will be just fine for your needs
- Second, what about the money towards more important things, like a home, student loans and other important things first? Then after that, then the luxury car.
- Third, people around you could think (without telling you), oh yes you got a luxury car...!! but they would not care once they know you are not settled. At worse, could laugh behind one's back because it can show that one does not know their priorities.

Since I'm Asian and from the Vancouver area., I've seen a good amount of Asian high school students/college student in luxury cars or even exotic cars. Can tell you that for one thing, I know they did not purchase those cars because it was their parents as they are loaded with money. I understand the rationale behind it since they are care about their kids. Can tell you that I know a friend who was in high school who got a new BMW; she did not buy it thou... guess who!

Last edited by Sango; 04-25-12 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-25-12, 10:48 AM
k3u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sango
As for being 19 and college, that would be a con most likely. Unless you got deep pockets/rich and have all your financials settled, working full time, sure no problem.

- First your typical college student does not need a luxury car. A non-luxury or a beater car will be just fine for your needs
- Second, what about the money towards more important things, like a home, student loans and other important things first? Then after that, then the luxury car.
- Third, people around you could think (without telling you), oh yes you got a luxury car...!! but they would not care once they know you are not settled. At worse, could laugh behind one's back because it can show that one does not know their priorities.

Since I'm Asian and from the Vancouver area., I've seen a good amount of Asian high school students/college student in luxury cars or even exotic cars. Can tell you that for one thing, I know they did not purchase those cars because it was their parents as they are loaded with money. I understand the rationale behind it since they are care about their kids. Can tell you that I know a friend who was in high school who got a new BMW; she did not buy it thou... guess who!
Oh definitely. I'm Asian too, haha. My point is like yours too, however slightly different. My family consists of 4 people, 3 working, and 1 is retired. My brother takes his van, so that only leaves the 1999 Honda Accord for myself to go to work and school. My mom also needs the car to go to work too so we always have to fit into tight schedule for such an old car that the repairs are piling up more than the actual value of the car. So, I thought we should get a new used car since new cars are expensive as hell. I wanted a nice car much like the IS250, not to go to school. I actually want it for my parents, they're old now so they deserve it but I'll just drive it on the weekend or when I go out with friends. Because no way in hell am I taking that car to college or where keystrokes most likely to happen. But yes, I too do not want to jump into something that I can't afford or to show off. It's just I saw lots of used Camrys at 19k, but I saw this IS250 for 21.5k, why not throw in the extra 1.5k for a nicer car right? My mom only works on the weekend and her work is closer so my dad can drive her to work (she doesn't know how to drive :P). Whereas I'll stick with the Honda but the IS250 will be a pleasure drive.

Anyways, if I were to buy this car my aunt said she would throw in 10k and my parents would have given me 7k and I have would thrown in the 4k I have saved up from working.
Old 04-25-12, 01:11 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by k3u
Oh definitely. I'm Asian too, haha. My point is like yours too, however slightly different. My family consists of 4 people, 3 working, and 1 is retired. My brother takes his van, so that only leaves the 1999 Honda Accord for myself to go to work and school. My mom also needs the car to go to work too so we always have to fit into tight schedule for such an old car that the repairs are piling up more than the actual value of the car. So, I thought we should get a new used car since new cars are expensive as hell. I wanted a nice car much like the IS250, not to go to school. I actually want it for my parents, they're old now so they deserve it but I'll just drive it on the weekend or when I go out with friends. Because no way in hell am I taking that car to college or where keystrokes most likely to happen. But yes, I too do not want to jump into something that I can't afford or to show off. It's just I saw lots of used Camrys at 19k, but I saw this IS250 for 21.5k, why not throw in the extra 1.5k for a nicer car right? My mom only works on the weekend and her work is closer so my dad can drive her to work (she doesn't know how to drive :P). Whereas I'll stick with the Honda but the IS250 will be a pleasure drive.

Anyways, if I were to buy this car my aunt said she would throw in 10k and my parents would have given me 7k and I have would thrown in the 4k I have saved up from working.
If that is your real pic, then get the IS for school! LOL!

Jokes aside. Yes, yours would make sense since it is more for your parents and also the used price. If it were a new one, yes, there would be some challenges to figure it out and stuff.

As for the car choice, see if you could find one potentially in CPO if you could. It would be more ideal in the long run.