Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mpg on 93 vs 89 octane gas

Summary
93 octane Premium: 29.6 mpg
89 octane Mid-grade: 29.4 mpg
Conclusion: no difference

I have recorded the miles and gallons for almost every tank of gas for my 2009 IS 250 RWD auto since I bought it brand new on 6/30/2009. That is almost 100 tanks and currently a bit past 35k miles. I always calculate my mpg using miles driven divided by gallons pumped in to fill.

My driving style is very relaxed. I do a lot of highway miles, but even when I'm in the city, I can get close to 30 mpg by timing traffic and coasting. I live in Florida and the roads are mostly flat here.

Until Nov 2011 and 33k miles, I always used 93 octane. The mpg for these first 90 or so tanks was 29.6 mpg.

In Dec 2011, I decided to switch to 89 octane. My driving patterns remained the same. One difference I can think of is it is during the winter. I have done 6 tanks and 2,300 miles on 89 octane. The mpg was 29.4 mpg.

Probably if you do the stats and work out the standard error and confidence intervals, you will find no significant difference between my mpg on 93 vs 89 octane gas.

I haven't noticed any knocking. But I don't drive hard and the automatic does not put the engine in situations likely to generate knocking--low rpm, high load.

So, especially with gas prices increasing, I will continue my experiment on 89 octane gas through the summer, and report the results here.

Last edited by Toymota; 03-24-12 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added summary
Old 03-22-12, 08:54 PM
Pnthrzrule
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Toymota
I have recorded the miles and gallons for almost every tank of gas for my 2009 IS 250 RWD auto since I bought it brand new on 6/30/2009. That is almost 100 tanks and currently a bit past 35k miles. I always calculate my mpg using miles driven divided by gallons pumped in to fill.

My driving style is very relaxed. I do a lot of highway miles, but even when I'm in the city, I can get close to 30 mpg by timing traffic and coasting. I live in Florida and the roads are mostly flat here.

Until Nov 2011 and 33k miles, I always used 93 octane. The mpg for these first 90 or so tanks was 29.6 mpg.

In Dec 2011, I decided to switch to 89 octane. My driving patterns remained the same. One difference I can think of is it is during the winter. I have done 6 tanks and 2,300 miles on 89 octane. The mpg was 29.4 mpg.

Probably if you do the stats and work out the standard error and confidence intervals, you will find no significant difference between my mpg on 93 vs 89 octane gas.

I haven't noticed any knocking. But I don't drive hard and the automatic does not put the engine in situations likely to generate knocking--low rpm, high load.

So, especially with gas prices increasing, I will continue my experiment on 89 octane gas through the summer, and report the results here.
Good luck with your experiment and thank you for sacrificing your car. I'm pretty sure most folks on here are not going to change from what the manufacturer recommends regardless of your results, though. So you may be sacrificing your engine for nothing. The manufacturer would probably sell more cars if they were built to run off regular/mid grade.So I don't think they are conspiring against the consumer. If I ever get to the point where I can't use the recommended fuel then I will probably sell my car if possible and get something that takes cheaper gas.
Old 03-22-12, 09:02 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess for what you've compared, gas mileage, it's good stats. But still leaves other questions unanswered about long term use of lower grade gasoline. Is price of gas your only driving factor to be making the gas Downgrade? If so, I'll never really understand how people can't afford $5 or so more per tank but still drive a lexus
Old 03-22-12, 09:09 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

If you think about it, it's not much of a difference in savings. You are driving a Lexus, not a Honda. Just saying.
Old 03-22-12, 09:36 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i had a honda i was putting premium anyway, because i could even feel the difference how the car performed. Thats on 2002 civic.
Old 03-22-12, 10:13 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by p0lo8
When i had a honda i was putting premium anyway, because i could even feel the difference how the car performed. Thats on 2002 civic.
I thought it wasn't good to put premium in Honda's? Something with the motors not having high enough compression?

Anyways, its OP's car. He can do what he wants. I wouldn't put regular in my baby, because it's clearly marked premium only.
Old 03-22-12, 10:13 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

dude your saving about 5 dollars a tank by switching. your engine is worth thousands of dollars.
Old 03-23-12, 04:33 AM
teefar
Driver

Good luck with all that. I'm sticking with premium, it's treated all my cars well.
Old 03-23-12, 05:00 AM
smackman
Driver

When I push the fuel button(little gas tank emblem) in my 2011 250 ISC, the little door pops open.

INSIDE that door is a sign that says PREMIUM UNLEADED FUEL ONLY.....

I owned a 1997 Maxima years ago. It also required Premium Gas. I tried Regular when I hit 150K. 5000 miles later, the Check engine light illuminates. Guess what the diagnosis was? KNOCK SENSOR.
We went immediately back to Premium and it never happened again. I sold the car at 230k after owning 10 years.

Driving 15000 miles a year, assuming Premium Gas is 20 cents higher than Regular, it would cost you 8 dollars a month more to use regular. That is one happy meal AND that is assuming the gas mileage is the same for regular and premium which is absolutely not true. You will get at least 2 - 3 mpg better with premium.

When we 1st bought our Lexus, the gpm dropped after 3000 miles 3 mpg. FINALLY after 2x of filling up, My wife realized she was using 87 octane instead of 93 by habit. She drives 400 miles a week mostly highway to work.

Love your Car and follow the Gas Cap instructions.
Old 03-23-12, 05:02 AM
Toymota
Pole Position

Yeah, this is just an experiment. I think a lot of people just believe what other people say without testing or having any real evidence. Things like "you will lose 5mpg by using lower octane gas", "your engine will knock the pistons to hell", "winter blend gas will kill your mileage" or on another topic "you should use synthetic oil and change it every 3,000 miles".... So I'm just curious and like to test things out for myself. It's not about the money. I have a six-figure job and the difference between 93 and 89 is 15 cents/gal here so only around $2.40/tank.
Old 03-23-12, 05:27 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, this is just an experiment. I think a lot of people just believe what other people say without testing or having any real evidence. Things like "you will lose 5mpg by using lower octane gas", "your engine will knock the pistons to hell", "winter blend gas will kill your mileage" or on another topic "you should use synthetic oil and change it every 3,000 miles".... So I'm just curious and like to test things out for myself. It's not about the money. I have a six-figure job and the difference between 93 and 89 is 15 cents/gal here so only around $2.40/tank.
With a "six-figure job", i dont see why this is even a valid experiment for yourself. Even in speculation, the best possible outcome is you save money and have the same gas mileage, worst outcome is you save money and have a decrease in gas mileage and potential engine problems. Why even bother saving $2.40, hotshot? I believe other people have given their personal experience on this forum switching between the grades of gasoline. Either way, good luck with the switch...

Last edited by heyarms; 03-23-12 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-23-12, 06:19 AM
m4gicm4tt
Rookie

I am not sure what all the hate is about here. I just want to know what will happen! I myself would not do this and never will but I am curious as to what will happen. OP test away, and remember to report everything even if it is bad .
Old 03-23-12, 06:32 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by heyarms
I guess for what you've compared, gas mileage, it's good stats. But still leaves other questions unanswered about long term use of lower grade gasoline. Is price of gas your only driving factor to be making the gas Downgrade? If so, I'll never really understand how people can't afford $5 or so more per tank but still drive a lexus
My biggest pet peeve is when people penny pinch like that...Or when they want to drive across town because a place has gas for 20 cents less

BUT GIVE ME MY VENTI LATTE!
Old 03-23-12, 06:34 AM
ydnandy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by m4gicm4tt
I am not sure what all the hate is about here. I just want to know what will happen! I myself would not do this and never will but I am curious as to what will happen. OP test away, and remember to report everything even if it is bad .
Agreed. If he wants to experiment and report back to the rest of us, more power to him... I am interested in hearing the results.

thanks!
Old 03-23-12, 06:48 AM
DKnight350
Pole Position

Interesting thread. I tried a tank or two of 87 octane, but the power seemed to lag (could be placebo effect). I am not convinced lower octane would ruin your engine, but agree using the recommended is really the best answer.

Side Note - Not sure why this is such an emotional topic. More conversation - less emotion/personal attacks please.

Quick Reply: mpg on 93 vs 89 octane gas