is this the AFS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-12, 07:29 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default is this the AFS?

is this the afs adjuster?
Attached Thumbnails is this the AFS?-photo-1-copy.jpg   is this the AFS?-photo-2.jpg  
Old 03-19-12, 07:45 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

That is the headlamp leveling sensor, yes.

Jeff
Old 03-19-12, 08:41 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My understanding is there are two different systems here. One is headlight leveling which moved the lights up and down. The other is AFS, that moves the lights to the right and left.

If you have the rear of the car fully loaded the leveling system will insure that the lights do not blind oncoming drivers. If you have AFS, the lights will turn to the right and left with the speed of the vehicle and the angle of the steering wheel.

The parts you show are from the leveling system.

Hope that helps.

jeff
Attached Thumbnails is this the AFS?-166930329.jpeg   is this the AFS?-166946467.jpeg  

Last edited by jgbackes; 03-19-12 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 03-19-12, 09:30 PM
danhtran
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup thats the one, took me like 5mins to find it lol
Old 03-19-12, 10:12 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

ok thank you guys i feel like my headlight are way 2 up it dont shine front of me, how sensitive is the sensor, should i move it all the way up or thats 2 much?
Old 03-20-12, 02:15 AM
mong
Lead Lap

you mean your low beam is aiming too high and you wanna make it aim lower?
Old 03-20-12, 02:19 AM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

yes already try the screw adjusting
Old 03-20-12, 02:23 AM
mong
Lead Lap

weird.. my was about the same level as yours and I thought it was too low. So I put the bolt to the lowest point. Wonder if I'm blinding ppl or not.
Old 03-20-12, 06:58 AM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

great information above
Old 03-20-12, 07:01 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by jgbackes
My understanding is there are two different systems here. One is headlight leveling which moved the lights up and down. The other is AFS, that moves the lights to the right and left.
This is correct, these sensors are for the leveling. AFS refers to the swivel control. That being said in the 2IS, both are controlled by a single computer, so they are somewhat integrated.

Originally Posted by mong
weird.. my was about the same level as yours and I thought it was too low. So I put the bolt to the lowest point. Wonder if I'm blinding ppl or not.
There is also the base level that is actually set at the headlight to consider. Adjusting that is the correct way to set base level.

Jeff
Old 03-20-12, 07:48 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

The AFS only turns to the left, not right. And the easiest method of adjusting both head lights equally is to use the rear level adjustment. Doing each head light individually by the book is a very lengthy procedure and not as easy.
Old 03-20-12, 08:36 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
There is also the base level that is actually set at the headlight to consider. Adjusting that is the correct way to set base level.

Jeff
Other than being by the book, is there any reason to choose the slightly more difficult healight screw method for adjusting the base level?
Old 03-20-12, 09:30 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by clubfoot
The AFS only turns to the left, not right. And the easiest method of adjusting both head lights equally is to use the rear level adjustment. Doing each head light individually by the book is a very lengthy procedure and not as easy.
AFS turns both ways.

The left headlight turns up to 15 degrees to the left.
The right headlight turns up to 5 degrees to the right.

Originally Posted by brociouz
Other than being by the book, is there any reason to choose the slightly more difficult healight screw method for adjusting the base level?
Personally I find doing it at the headlight easier, but aside from being by the book I can't see a huge difference either way, other than if auto-leveling stopped working, it wouldn't correct it based on the rear sensor adjustment, and also I'm not entirely sure if the auto-leveling system reacts exactly the same way if if thinks the suspension is already loaded/unloaded in the rear as far as road bumps/hills, etc. go. It's probably not a big deal really, I just figure you might as well do it the correct way. All you have to do to get to the adjusters on the headlight is pull off the engine covers anyway, it's like a few clips, versus having to get under the car and adjust the sensor. I never got why that was considered easier.

Jeff
Old 03-20-12, 09:44 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Personally I find doing it at the headlight easier, but aside from being by the book I can't see a huge difference either way, other than if auto-leveling stopped working, it wouldn't correct it based on the rear sensor adjustment, and also I'm not entirely sure if the auto-leveling system reacts exactly the same way if if thinks the suspension is already loaded/unloaded in the rear as far as road bumps/hills, etc. go. It's probably not a big deal really, I just figure you might as well do it the correct way. All you have to do to get to the adjusters on the headlight is pull off the engine covers anyway, it's like a few clips, versus having to get under the car and adjust the sensor. I never got why that was considered easier.

Jeff
I've never adjusted my headlights using the screws up front, but remember reading it's somewhat complicated by the fact that there are 2 screws for each headlight and they have to be adjusted together in order to get the lightsjust right. Is that not accurate?
Old 03-20-12, 10:52 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless one has those special mounting calibration equipment, using the screws alone may not be accurate.

Quick Reply: is this the AFS?