IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Help! Navigation stuck in reboot loop??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-15, 10:25 AM
Dalvarez78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Navigation stuck in reboot loop??

Ok, so I'm absolutely confused at this point. I have a 06 Is250, approx 89k miles on it. Besides experiencing that occasional (famous) start-up "rattle", my car has been perfect. Recently my husband has been driving my car quite a bit. He had mentioned the navigation disc rebooting, but never went into detail. He also used my car to apparently jump start the lawn mower - a big no-no for the lawn mower, especially since it ruined the alternator, but now I'm wondering if it damaged my car somehow. So, it seems as if my Navigation disc gets stuck in some type of reboot loop? You know how when updating the Navigation with a new disc it will say "system loading, do not turn car off" or something to that affect? Well, that's what it's doing. The Climate, Audio, etc controls work as normal. The touch screen works normal, it's just the map and right side controls that do not work when it's doing this. When it's attempting to load, it gets close to the end of the bar being fully loaded (lacking about a 1/2 inch) and then lines and sometimes colors will display before the map shows up again. Sometimes it does it worse than others... There's no reason to it's madness for sure, and no determining when it's going to start acting up.

I've tried researching the problem, but I can't seem to come across anyone that's expressed having the same issue. I know I've read where other people had problems with their Navigation screen freezing or locking up. People being quoted upwards to $2500 to have their issue fixed... I'm just curious if anyone has ever had this happen or if anyone has an idea of what could be causing this?
Is it possible that the Navigation disc could be corrupt since it won't load up completely? If this could possibly be the problem, then I'll gladly shed out a couple hundred bucks, instead of having to spend over $2000.

I'm extremely particular over my car. I'm a car fanatic - it's almost like I'm the "man" with the toy and my husband is the stereotypical "woman" who doesn't quite get the "love for the toy". I don't use my car to jump-off anyone or anything and ESPECIALLY would have never used it to jump off a lawn mower. I had kept my car in mint condition. After my husband got his hands on it, I am suddenly having problems with the Navigation, I need new tires now with an alignment, he ruined my front 2 floormats, paint is chipped on the bumper, etc.
He's now banned from my car. LOL!!!

Anyway, any help/advice/thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-15, 04:04 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Yeah, I'd start by pulling the plate that contains the digital clock and eject the NAV disc. Once removed, disconnect the battery for 20 minutes. Reconnect, start car, then re-insert the NAV disc. Hopefully it'll completely go through the reboot procedure this time. If not, I'd try a another NAV disc.

Good luck!