Old 03-05-12, 06:30 PM
LDNN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option is the Toyota dealers...they charge less than Lexus does
Old 03-05-12, 09:29 PM
flyfl1pguy

Im also in the boat, mines will reach 60K soon. Any DIY for the spark plugs for the IS2520?
Old 03-05-12, 09:31 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
Im also in the boat, mines will reach 60K soon. Any DIY for the spark plugs for the IS2520?
Quick search is all it takes next time

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ug-change.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...necessity.html
Old 03-05-12, 10:18 PM
98023IS250
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd bet Dealer will tell you that either the rotors have to be turned or replaced. That will be pricey when they have the car in the shop...
Old 03-05-12, 10:22 PM
flyfl1pguy

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Thanks! Now gonna need to start getting the parts!!
Old 03-08-12, 01:04 PM
sjtsnix
Driver School Candidate

so, I called the dealer where I bought my certified pre-owned IS250 to get a quote... they quoted higher than the other Lexus dealer....(both in Socal)... I was told that $500 was the spark plugs alone, and that if I wanted to, I could split the service up... do everything but the plugs now, then do the plugs on the next service.... Still painful.... the Service Manager said they had to pull a manifold to replace the plugs... Can someone confirm that? (this may make it the DIY project a no go for me, if that is the case)...
Old 03-08-12, 01:18 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sjtsnix
so, I called the dealer where I bought my certified pre-owned IS250 to get a quote... they quoted higher than the other Lexus dealer....(both in Socal)... I was told that $500 was the spark plugs alone, and that if I wanted to, I could split the service up... do everything but the plugs now, then do the plugs on the next service.... Still painful.... the Service Manager said they had to pull a manifold to replace the plugs... Can someone confirm that? (this may make it the DIY project a no go for me, if that is the case)...
I can confirm that you need to take the manifold off on the IS250, (not IS350, spark plugs are located differently) $500 sounds about right for dealership quote.

If i were you and are on a really tight budget, but too afraid to DIY, is to find the best shop you can in the area to do the 60k. Save some money by buying the parts on sewell and bring it to the shop. Do all the DIY stuff that you can do. Ask people in the socal forums for which shop is best and good price, etc...

good luck!
Old 03-08-12, 01:49 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sjtsnix
You can get the spark plugs off of Sewell for less than $100 and I got quoted around $250 for labor at LTS Mastertech in the 626. From what i've read on posts around CL, 250 requires removing the Manifold, 350 doesn't.
Old 05-31-15, 03:09 PM
Brianlj72
Driver School Candidate

Default 60K service

I took my 06 IS AWD in this past weekend for the 55K service. Upon discussing any needs or special request the service person that was talking care of me wanted to go over the 60K mile service.

I was printed out a laundry list of items estimating $1242.00. Ummm, okay. I reviewed the list and it's Mostly inspected item at 1242. Not replaced items. If I need brakes how much is that? I freaked and went shopping for a new car that day.

Are all these items recommended or is it a way for them to rob you? I've never heard of replacing some of these fluids this early in the game.

Brian
Old 05-31-15, 04:47 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

change oil and plugs, parts and labor for both $500.00 max. go to a independent reliable mechanic.
Old 05-31-15, 06:22 PM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also rotate tires and do brake fluid. Change the cabin air filter and engine air filter yourself, there's diys on here.
Originally Posted by carlos3366
change oil and plugs, parts and labor for both $500.00 max. go to a independent reliable mechanic.
Old 06-07-15, 06:45 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tomiv9
Also rotate tires and do brake fluid. Change the cabin air filter and engine air filter yourself, there's diys on here.
Farm out what you are not comfortable doing. After you start working on your own vehicle and get comfortable with the small stuff you can work your way up to more complex systems. YouTube has some good advice and how to articles. What I like best about YouTube mechanic videos is being able to see what needs to be done before opening up the hood. When you get to the point of starting the job you'll be able to jump in with the correct tools and knock it out quickly.

For such an easy job they sure are charging a fortune.

Get some tools, research YouTube videos on things you've never done before and get a friend with more experience to help you get started. The only thing you will need assistance with is flushing the break system. You can get a vacuum tool to help reduce any air infiltration into the system through the nipple.
Old 06-08-15, 02:51 PM
hirsch2is
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately this is what your gonna get quoted at a lot of dealerships. Mark up on parts makes them expensive. Their labor is also a lot more because for the most part(at least in my experience as a tech at both independents and dealerships) dealerships usually treat their techs better, pay them better, have better benefits etc. on top of that they have to insure a lot more techs for mostly newer cars. And they usually have special tools that most other shops don't have to insure better quality work. I'm not saying there aren't shops out there that do great quality work because there definitely is but dealerships have a lot more expenses than an independent plus they are always using oem.

My suggestion to beat these prices though is learn to do it yourself. It is a lot easy than you think as long as you have the correct tools. The only tool j can think of for the plug job that is slightly oddball is an Allen head socket for the intake bolts but even the greenest of mechanics and DIYers usually have that
Old 06-08-15, 07:34 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I almost have 60K on my car now. Does anyone know that the brake fluid would normally be replaced when I change my brake pads? I think my brakes have about 5 or 10K more, so I would hold off on the brake fluid and get that when I change brake pads.
Old 06-08-15, 07:48 PM
hirsch2is
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No it wouldn't

Quick Reply: 60K Service on 2009 IS250 cost