IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

sewell offering 2011+ LED headlights for $1200

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 07:45 PM
HIDness
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
I went to the dealer today and had the service manager look at my car... he is a car nut and Lexus expert. He had a technician attach a diagnostic tool to my car. It showed an error with reading the auto-leveling motor, but no explanation as to why. No errors for the rear sensors, so that's not it. He also unscrewed the engine cover, and the motors are plugged in fine. And it is not a personalized feature that can be turned off.

The guy was at a loss as to why the auto-leveling was not working. He thought maybe the 2012 lamps that Sewell rewired to fit older cars for some reason may be incompatible with the auto-leveling.

To everyone with the 2012 TSB lights retrofitted... can anyone verify for sure if their auto-leveing is working?

sewell warrantied the 2011 a month ago and the updated (2012) one auto leveling is working just fine.
Old 04-06-12, 07:50 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
The auto-leveling is the same motor for all years, and that wiring shouldn't have been touched by Sewell, unless it was by mistake. Strange indeed.

Jeff
Do you think I should ask Sewell to replace these lamps with new ones? I honestly don't know what to do at this point and it is very frustrating.
Old 04-07-12, 04:38 PM
ANCL
Driver

Out of curiosity... If an LED bulb died in the headlight, how do you go about replacing it? I do not think opening up the headlights would be a good idea + colour differences..?
Old 04-07-12, 08:22 PM
d2fresh
Rookie

I got the loaded ones but haven't installed them yet. Anyone out there with loaded ones mind answering a few questions?

Do i still need to go to the dealership to disable DRL? and what's the default LED brightness for day vs night(50%/100%)?

Thanks!
Old 04-07-12, 08:40 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by d2fresh
I got the loaded ones but haven't installed them yet. Anyone out there with loaded ones mind answering a few questions?

Do i still need to go to the dealership to disable DRL? and what's the default LED brightness for day vs night(50%/100%)?

Thanks!
Yes.. you still have to go to the dealer and disable your DRL. Sewell's headlights is at 100% brightness 24/7
Old 04-07-12, 09:49 PM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 73 Posts

Finally got mine and installed~ It's very bright white~!! pictures don't do justice~
It looks pretty awesome. Thx sewell~

I was lazy to disable DRL from dealer so I didn't disable it yet. I just disconnect amber
parking light and cover afs off light with black tape.

Old 04-07-12, 10:50 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Nice!

What did you do with the turn signal bulbs? You obviously didn't use the stock amber coated 7440...

I'm trying to figure out an alternative to those amber 7440's too... I bought "stealth" bulbs but the small amount of amber still shows. I don't want to spend $80 for sufficiently bright LED bulbs, and then having to deal with hyperflash.

Anybody have suggestions on what to do there? I'm tempted to use clear 7440's but I'm afraid it's not going to be enough contrast between that and the LED DRL...
Old 04-07-12, 10:53 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by IceIridium
^ Nice!

What did you do with the turn signal bulbs? You obviously didn't use the stock amber coated 7440...

I'm trying to figure out an alternative to those amber 7440's too... I bought "stealth" bulbs but the small amount of amber still shows. I don't want to spend $80 for sufficiently bright LED bulbs, and then having to deal with hyperflash.

Anybody have suggestions on what to do there? I'm tempted to use clear 7440's but I'm afraid it's not going to be enough contrast between that and the LED DRL...
Hyperflashing can be solved with an aftermarket flasher or modifying your OEM one. I recently got LEDs for my turn signal and chose to modify mine.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-thread-3.html
Old 04-07-12, 11:38 PM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Hmmm I used 7440 stealth bulbs too. It's called like chrome amber bulbs or something like that.

Originally Posted by IceIridium
^ Nice!

Old 04-08-12, 02:51 AM
trinh
Rookie

Originally Posted by 08sgmis350
Finally got mine and installed~ It's very bright white~!! pictures don't do justice~

I was lazy to disable DRL from dealer so I didn't disable it yet. I just disconnect amber

how much work did you do to make it compatible with your 08? planning on buying these after coilovers+tint and wanna see if its too much work or just plug and play
Old 04-08-12, 07:23 AM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Please let me know if your headlight auto-leveling works. You'll know because you'll see the headlight beam move up and down briefly (when facing a wall) when turning on the headlights.

I had a Lexus certified body shop install my lamps, and the auto-leveling does not work. It's possible this function does not work with the 2012s, but I need to know. My Sewell headlamps may be defective.
Old 04-08-12, 06:10 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Interesting... All the 2012 headlights I have seen have slight blue to it. Yours make me think they're 2011 headlights.
Old 04-08-12, 08:22 PM
ANCL
Driver

Originally Posted by ANCL
Out of curiosity... If an LED bulb died in the headlight, how do you go about replacing it? I do not think opening up the headlights would be a good idea + colour differences..?
Anyone?!
Old 04-08-12, 08:38 PM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Originally Posted by trinh
how much work did you do to make it compatible with your 08? planning on buying these after coilovers+tint and wanna see if its too much work or just plug and play
It was pretty simple. I swapped out old headlight to new one less than 2 hours including taking out the whole cluster and block AFS off light with black tape inside of lens so it looks clean. Changing flahser was pretty quick too~ It was just hard to reach... Taking ballast is pretty simple too. Thanks to JoeZ, I was able to take the ballast really easy.
Old 04-08-12, 08:42 PM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
Please let me know if your headlight auto-leveling works. You'll know because you'll see the headlight beam move up and down briefly (when facing a wall) when turning on the headlights.

I had a Lexus certified body shop install my lamps, and the auto-leveling does not work. It's possible this function does not work with the 2012s, but I need to know. My Sewell headlamps may be defective.

Hmm, I just started my car to see auto leveling works... It goes up and down~ My headlight's auto leveling works... My car is 2008 btw. Maybe they took out fuse to get rid of that AFS off sign? I dunno...

Quick Reply: sewell offering 2011+ LED headlights for $1200