New member with IS250

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-12, 07:38 PM
JP250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with IS250

Hey guys,
So i just began driving my girlfriends is250 awd ever since winter began and decided to create an account on CL. Kinda of a funny story, i currently drive an IR/IR E46 M3 6-speed but with winter and all, i decided to store it away until spring. My girlfriend was generous enough to share her car with me as my M3 is in storage. and well i hate to say it, but its such a great car.

Its an 08 Smokey Granite Mica IS250 purchased in 2007. its a very nice looking car and i always admired it ever since i saw it for the first time. Anyways, i want to help my GF keep the IS maintained and in tip-top shape. The car is about to approach 70k miles and i have a few questions about it:

1) oil man't req light came on when oil was changed 2k miles ago.
2) the car has been filled with regular gas since it was new. how bad is that?
3) apparently the car got a low "CPT" score from jiffy lube. idk what that means. anyone?
4) anyone get that nasty egg smell from the exhaust when you accelerate hard? searched and seems normal. weird

i hope to post more on CL and learn more about the IS. heres a crappy iphone pic of the IS and my M3. enjoy

Old 02-20-12, 07:53 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice cars. Welcome to CL.
Old 02-20-12, 07:59 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome, clean e46
Old 02-20-12, 08:01 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

1) the car has an auto oil change light every 5k miles from previous reset. You can reset it yourself everytime you change your oil. (check the manual).

2) lower gas mileage (slightly), and higher risk of having above average carbon build up in the engine (supposedly...)
Old 02-20-12, 08:03 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

egg smell is from gas mostly it will decrease it did for me as soon as i switch to shell 93 octane, never take you car to jiffy lube ever again worst place to go, the light could be on due to pervious service the light wasn't on yet so they did not do a reset and now 2 months later u hit the 5k mark and now your service light came on
http://youtu.be/wiCAJ8ULnaI
Old 02-20-12, 08:06 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Nice rides and welcome!
Old 02-20-12, 08:07 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome and nice rides!

1) oil man't req light came on when oil was changed 2k miles ago.
-Found this from another thread:
*Start with ignition off.
*Press and hold the reset button for the trip odometer.
(this button also toggles through trip a, b, and the main mileage odometer)
*Turn the ignition on without starting the engine.
*You will see the display for the odometer count down.
It will also say complete when done.
Make sure you do not let go of the button untill this is complete/done.
2) the car has been filled with regular gas since it was new. how bad is that?
-There has been some debate on that. Others fill up with regular as well. I think most of us use premium since that's what Lexus says needs to go in the car.

3) apparently the car got a low "CPT" score from jiffy lube. idk what that means. anyone?
-I have no idea what that is. I'm sure somebody here could tell you.

4) anyone get that nasty egg smell from the exhaust when you accelerate hard? searched and seems normal. weird
-Try filling with premium fuel and see if it goes away.
Old 02-20-12, 08:12 PM
fewslowcar
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Same here.

That's funny I also have an Imola red E46 M3 M6. It is my summer car had it for over 6 years now, and I just traded in VW Golf TDi for 2010 IS250AWD that I use as daily driver.

Pics of both cars:
E46 M3 with aftermarket wheels

The IS:
Old 02-20-12, 08:17 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Clean. You should also tastefully mod the car for her and see if she notices
Old 02-21-12, 06:22 AM
JP250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by InspireME
Clean. You should also tastefully mod the car for her and see if she notices
hahah i would love to put some f-sport bumpers and wheels. i showed her a youtube clip of an hks exhaust on an IS250 and she loved it.

so going back the the jiffy lube CPT test. i actually got the pamphlet they gave me about it. so the way it works is they run the "engine to get for a minute to get an accurate representation of your combustion performance" "a sensor placed in your exhaust pipe detects and records data from each cylinder combustion".

so apparently they told my GF that her IS got a score of 3 meaning its in the "red zone". so red means "performance is not optimal. varnish and carbon buildup may have your engine running inefficiently. a fuel system cleaning service is just one step to helping you get back on track".

i feel like jiffy lube was just trying to scam my GF because shes a girl. but then again it may be accurate . do you think it may have something to do with the egg smell coming from the exhaust? maybe using regular gas is causing this as well.
Old 02-21-12, 06:41 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to CL nice rides and nice guy you are to take care of her ride. Read this, it may help with your question. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html
Old 02-21-12, 06:44 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JP250
hahah i would love to put some f-sport bumpers and wheels. i showed her a youtube clip of an hks exhaust on an IS250 and she loved it.

so going back the the jiffy lube CPT test. i actually got the pamphlet they gave me about it. so the way it works is they run the "engine to get for a minute to get an accurate representation of your combustion performance" "a sensor placed in your exhaust pipe detects and records data from each cylinder combustion".

so apparently they told my GF that her IS got a score of 3 meaning its in the "red zone". so red means "performance is not optimal. varnish and carbon buildup may have your engine running inefficiently. a fuel system cleaning service is just one step to helping you get back on track".

i feel like jiffy lube was just trying to scam my GF because shes a girl. but then again it may be accurate . do you think it may have something to do with the egg smell coming from the exhaust? maybe using regular gas is causing this as well.
Stop thinking about this Jiffy Lube/CPT score nonsense. Drop it entirely and never think about it again.

It's all a scam. Jiffy Lube and those other $20 oil change chains make their money by getting you in the door with a cheap basic service like a $19.99 oil change then they make their money by upselling you on BS like an "engine shampoo" that they assure you your car desperately needs or it will explode. Oh and it happens to cost $299.99. Engine/fuel system cleaning services are the most common thing they push on unsuspecting customers since cleaning always sounds like a positive thing that will help your car, and it can apply to all types of vehicles.

Now I'm not saying your car doesn't have carbon build-up or isn't affected by putting regular gas in, etc. What I'm saying is that all the above stuff Jiffy Lube is saying is mumbo-jumbo nonsense and based on nothing whatsoever other than a scam "test".

To assess the shape your GF's car is in and whether it needs anything, take it to an independent auto shop (not one of the above chains) that you trust and has good online reviews, or a dealer.
Old 02-21-12, 08:23 AM
is_baby
Lead Lap

Nice rides and welcome to CL
Old 02-21-12, 08:40 AM
starknight
Lead Lap

nice and clean look on your M3!
Old 02-21-12, 09:52 AM
Lexus408