IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Has anyone else had this problem? Black window mold peeling off?

Old 03-06-14, 05:21 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can we get soem pics of what people did to "repair"?

curious to see what the plastidip or new vinyl look like
Old 03-09-14, 07:04 PM
skelow401
Rookie

Originally Posted by nikogio38
That happen to mine I just removed it and sprayed plastic dip on all the chrome. Looks like it came from the factory with black trim. Looks good.
How did you take them off? Do you have to take the door panel off?
Old 03-21-14, 09:05 PM
teaguedp90
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just do some prep work (good prep work) mask everything you don't want off. make sure to leave some room on the windows and the door so you can peel if off clean, I'd say at least a few inches. once that is done, spray about 4 coats of black plasti dip on the chrome trim and wait about 15-20 minutes for it to dry and then start peeling all the unnecessary stuff off.
took this while I was waiting for the stuff to dry. notice the space around the door trim that I didn't mask off? I did that so I can just peel off the plasti dip and after I peeled off the plasti dip around the trim it came out pretty clean

finished product.

hope this helps you guys out. the most time consuming part of this is doing all the prep work. make sure when your spraying that your getting the stuff around the chrome trim evenly so that it peels off nicely and that way you won't have to waste time peeling off all the stuff that didn't come off cleanly.
Old 05-19-14, 02:10 PM
huyz13
Rookie

Originally Posted by teaguedp90
make sure to leave some room on the windows and the door so you can peel if off clean, I'd say at least a few inches.
can you further elaborate when you say "leave some room on the windows"? Do you mean don't tape it so that the plastidip is painted on the window and door near the chrome trim that is being painted? This is done to make it easier to peel off cleanly?

thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-14, 03:55 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by huyz13
can you further elaborate when you say "leave some room on the windows"? Do you mean don't tape it so that the plastidip is painted on the window and door near the chrome trim that is being painted? This is done to make it easier to peel off cleanly?

thanks in advance.
Yes. Plastidip makes its own edge. It cuts itself. So if you have a small line painted on the window as well as the molding, just peel it off the window and it will cut itself around the window trim.
Old 05-08-15, 08:43 PM
lexis35022
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone just peeled it off and left it chrome!? I jus want it gone! Will it cause another problem? If not,I want to jus peel off! If someone has left it chrome,px please..thanks
Old 05-09-15, 01:29 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

^That's what I've been wondering lately. The front portion flaps badly in the wind and just plain awful. Curious if I had a bit of heat from my heat gun, if I'd be able to just pull it off completely leaving a complete "chrome" trim piece below.
Old 05-09-15, 05:04 PM
lexis35022
Rookie

Some one help us , please!! lol..
Old 05-11-15, 05:52 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default trim

That looks good Teaguedp90. I may try that. Mine is peeling on Top and Bottom driver side window..
My paint is rough on the roof and hood, I thought about buying and putting a carbon fiber hood on it.
Thanks for the ideas.
Old 06-28-15, 01:06 PM
penone
Driver

The plastidip looks good. Mine on the drivers side is looking awful as well. Will give that a try but also like to know if anyone has the oem part number for this.
Old 06-28-15, 08:27 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought about replacing mine right before getting interior replaced for soft,sticky recall.
Old 07-06-15, 03:56 PM
Allan1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im currently on the second set of those trim and now they are peeling as well. First set lasted about 3-4 years, second about the same.
Removing all the trim is a bit of pain, upper trim is riveted to the door frame and this black part what is peeling is actually a rubber, part of actual window seal. Its difficult to peel and cut where its not loose.
Im covering them with 3M gloss black vinyl all the way. 2 pieces are done, 8 to go.
Old 07-08-15, 01:38 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

^Lookin good!
Old 08-30-16, 11:12 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My car has been doing this for a while now but only on the driver side.. But just today a piece of the rubber mold tore off in the car wash (touch less) and now I have a random piece of chrome there I'm thinking of just removing it all and doing the plastidip look. It actually looks rather nice in my opinion. Also very disappointed in Lexus with this. My family's older cheaper cars have held up better than this smh. Oh well, at least now I have an excuse to do something new to my car again.
Old 08-30-16, 12:46 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I used weather strip adhesive to re-attach mine. I had a few spots that were lifting up and only held on by the part closest to the window.. I used an alcohol swab to clean it first then applied the adhesive to the end of a toothpick and layered what I could underneath the trim.. pressed it down and it held instantly.. I peeled off the excess that came out from under the trim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone else had this problem? Black window mold peeling off?