IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Philips Ultinon 6000K and Philips Xenon HID Conversion Kit 6000K Combo!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 09:10 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Philips Ultinon 6000K and Philips Xenon HID Conversion Kit 6000K Combo!

I just recently had the headlight TSB done on my car. While they were at it, the dealership installed the Philips Ultinon 6000K and the Philips Xenon HID Conversion Kit 6000K for the fogs.

It's quite bright and powerful. They took their time to make sure it was installed nice as well. The service lady and the lead tech who worked on my car, were clapping after they finally powered up the lights for the first time while it was still in the service bay.

I did notice that the new lights the LED strips is a bit more whiter than the original set, other than that, it's quite a good match.

Here are pictures and a video which I took. Both the camera and the video camera had difficulties compensating because of the bright light that you will see the light would appear to be pink - it's really white!!

What do you folks think?

Pictures here: I taken them at different shutter sppeds to try to compensate which was still too much for it unless I went overkill where the lights appeared super dim (1/3200 shutter speed lol!).

Video: See directly on youtube to see it in 720P HD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjGyQxyTXSU&hd=1

Last edited by Sango; 02-16-12 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-14-12, 09:16 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks sweet!!! Glad you finally got it done and posted up pics!

So what's the verdict in regards to the color matching between the low and fog? perfect match?
Old 02-14-12, 09:28 PM
Sango
Pole Position

I would say it's essentially a perfect match. This is because the for HID light is a Philips Ultinon bulb which is rebased.

It may appear there is a wii color miss-match but probably due to the housing design. When they are initially powered up, there is a slight color miss-match as both warm up as I observe the light on the wall while the fogs are white while the low beams's color is shifting to the white color; after within a minute or so, it is spot on.

Last edited by Sango; 02-14-12 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-14-12, 09:31 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

ok good to know... looks so much brighter than my Garax!
Old 02-14-12, 09:33 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those look really nice! Where you buy and how much?
Old 02-14-12, 09:45 PM
Sango
Pole Position

I got them from CL Forum Vendor, Nigel-JDMParts.

Ultinon D4S about $250, but got lower at the time when Nigel was having a group buy.
Xenon HID Conversion Kit - $240
Old 02-14-12, 09:55 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

looks good !

It does infact seem the newer headlights (2012 with the eyelash) have a whiter/blue hint to the LED.
Old 02-14-12, 11:35 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Yep! It shines up the road pretty good.

When the new lights were installed, I asked the dealership not to aim the new lights since the TSB instructs them too but the lights are supposedly factory aimed.
Old 02-14-12, 11:59 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the bulbs looks really bright compared to the crappy OEM ones! nice
Old 02-15-12, 12:50 AM
kim0217
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rookieIS
the bulbs looks really bright compared to the crappy OEM ones! nice
You're welcome to check out the output of my ultinon with 2011 headlight at night if you around SFSU,just text me,lol

Last edited by kim0217; 02-15-12 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-15-12, 07:27 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Lighting plays many tricks when trying to photograph the LED strips. It's impossible to tell how "white" they are from pictures, and I haven't seen enough original headlights to know how different they are from my new ones.

For example, this is a picture I took of my headlights at the carwash:

This is a picture I took the next morning:

Jeff
Old 02-16-12, 11:15 AM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The LED strips are more whiter!? Nice. Hmm, maybe I should take mine in to have the TSB done. Too bad Lexus just didn't do it right in the first place with the bubbling problem.

Sango:
When you scheduled an appointment, did you mention a TSB number/title/ID/etc. or did they know what you were talking about? I know last time when I mentioned the bubbling they said they wouldn't replace my headlights unless the paint started chipping off. I'm guessing yours wasn't chipping that much and they still did the TSB for you?

One thing I'm hesitant about is that I had 3M clear bra film installed on my headlights at a shop outside of the dealership so I'm thinking that if the dealership installs the new TSB headlights then I will have to pay to have my 3M film installed on my headlights again. Did you have this issue or did you not put 3M film on your old headlights in the first place?

Last edited by Wunko; 02-16-12 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-16-12, 11:33 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wonderful!!!!! Finally, you have them all set up!!
Old 02-16-12, 12:11 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These bulbs should have come OEM. They look great!
Old 02-16-12, 06:44 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wunko
The LED strips are more whiter!? Nice. Hmm, maybe I should take mine in to have the TSB done. Too bad Lexus just didn't do it right in the first place with the bubbling problem.

Sango:
When you scheduled an appointment, did you mention a TSB number/title/ID/etc. or did they know what you were talking about? I know last time when I mentioned the bubbling they said they wouldn't replace my headlights unless the paint started chipping off. I'm guessing yours wasn't chipping that much and they still did the TSB for you?

One thing I'm hesitant about is that I had 3M clear bra film installed on my headlights at a shop outside of the dealership so I'm thinking that if the dealership installs the new TSB headlights then I will have to pay to have my 3M film installed on my headlights again. Did you have this issue or did you not put 3M film on your old headlights in the first place?
The dealership was aware and confirmed that my light had the bubbling issue and were going to replace my lights once the TSB was available. As per the TSB, they acutally have to see that there is bubbling because the orignial lights will get returned back to Lexus as proof.

I had 3M venture sheild on the lights on the old lamp but the shop where I got the film done said I can just get another one done on the new ones.

Quick Reply: Philips Ultinon 6000K and Philips Xenon HID Conversion Kit 6000K Combo!