projector bowl dent

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-12, 11:05 PM
ihazabonar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default projector bowl dent

Hey all,

This would be my second retrofit for a vehicle, so I'm piecing together parts, one by one. I just picked up a set of TSX projectors for a great price, the drawback: They both have very small dents in the projector bowls. Now, knowing that the HID bulb will indeed reflect in the bowl, will this severely affect my cut off line or light output? If so, I thought of an idea of heat resistant aluminum foil tape that I could cut to exact size and place over the dented area, making a smooth transition inside the bowl. Would this work?

One more thing. What exactly do I need to get for the HID kit. I want to go 8000k with my TSX-R clear lenses, I know it's the D2S bulb. What do I need to get to hook the kit up to my stock wiring? Please provide a link to what I need to purchase. I'm new to the Lexus community but I'm familiar with searching (clubrsx). I just am confused about "AMP" and what "relay" to be using. Also, 55W or 35W. All or any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-08-12, 12:26 AM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In all honesty, I highly recommend going to HIDPlanet forums and there will be much more info there. There's only a handful of us who have retrofitted. But you can always get a bulb and try out your projectors before modding them to try and fix the dent. It's hard to tell how catostrophic the dent will be until you put light in there. I got the TSXR lenses out of preference, you don't need them. They just give a clearer more colorful cutoff. D2S plugs go into the back of a D2S bulb, amp plugs are the generic positive negative plugs that connect on plug and play HID kits. Also, you won't be happy with the light output of a 8000k, bluer but less useable light. Don't go over 6000 and use legit bulbs. Only run 55w ballast with a bulb set up to use the extra wattage right.
Old 02-08-12, 12:31 PM
ihazabonar
Driver

Originally Posted by Jzsicklexi
In all honesty, I highly recommend going to HIDPlanet forums and there will be much more info there. There's only a handful of us who have retrofitted. But you can always get a bulb and try out your projectors before modding them to try and fix the dent. It's hard to tell how catostrophic the dent will be until you put light in there. I got the TSXR lenses out of preference, you don't need them. They just give a clearer more colorful cutoff. D2S plugs go into the back of a D2S bulb, amp plugs are the generic positive negative plugs that connect on plug and play HID kits. Also, you won't be happy with the light output of a 8000k, bluer but less useable light. Don't go over 6000 and use legit bulbs. Only run 55w ballast with a bulb set up to use the extra wattage right.
Thank you! I will definitely check them out. I had 8000k in my Acura RSX with TSX projectors and loved them. More than enough light output imo. How much blue will you get with the 6000k. I want the TSX-R lenses because of the clearer cut off line and color on the cut off.
Old 02-08-12, 12:38 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

Get the Philips ultinon 6000k, they're amazing. I'm getting them next. Yes the TSX-R look great, couldn't be happier with mine.
Old 02-08-12, 12:55 PM
ihazabonar
Driver

Now, reading through some threads, I'm just a little confused still. This guy said he HAD to purchase the D2S but then bought and used the D2H and had room in the back of the projector. Is there a need to buy the D2S and adapters at all when the D2H has the AMP connectors going right to the bulb/ballast?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-retrofit.html
Old 02-08-12, 01:01 PM
ihazabonar
Driver

I'm thinking I can initially go with the D2H and save a ton of room in the housing, thus eliminating the need to cut the back of the headlight housing, which is what I want to avoid totally. Scroll to the bottom. Seems like it works effectively

http://www.auto-electronic.net/hidbulbd2h.htm
Old 02-08-12, 01:42 PM
Jzsicklexi
Lead Lap

Yeah I've seen that, but the d2h are an aftermarket bulb with sub par performance. Also, if you do what he did you have to open up the headlights to change the bulbs too.
Old 02-08-12, 01:55 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also have to consider even with a D2H bulb, there's very little room to change the bulb when neccesary. If you can make it work, then great. I chose not to, as there aren't very many D2H bulbs to choose from. All the best bulbs on the market are D2S. And there' s no way to tell for sure whether or not the dents in your bowl affect output, unless you stick a bulb in and test them yourself. If you say they're small dents, I doubt they'd affect output much, if at all.

Also, I wouldn't go 8000k. It basically negates all the work you've done to retrofit your lights. 6000k is the max I'd do, and even then it's still losing a lot of lumen output.

HIDplanet is the resource to use for retrofits. I learned pretty much everything from that forum by reading around and seeing what can be done. All in all, good luck, and be sure to post the results!
Old 02-08-12, 07:11 PM
ihazabonar
Driver

Originally Posted by Jzsicklexi
Yeah I've seen that, but the d2h are an aftermarket bulb with sub par performance. Also, if you do what he did you have to open up the headlights to change the bulbs too.
Originally Posted by kumquatism
You also have to consider even with a D2H bulb, there's very little room to change the bulb when neccesary. If you can make it work, then great. I chose not to, as there aren't very many D2H bulbs to choose from. All the best bulbs on the market are D2S. And there' s no way to tell for sure whether or not the dents in your bowl affect output, unless you stick a bulb in and test them yourself. If you say they're small dents, I doubt they'd affect output much, if at all.

Also, I wouldn't go 8000k. It basically negates all the work you've done to retrofit your lights. 6000k is the max I'd do, and even then it's still losing a lot of lumen output.

HIDplanet is the resource to use for retrofits. I learned pretty much everything from that forum by reading around and seeing what can be done. All in all, good luck, and be sure to post the results!

Thanks a lot fellas. I will be sure to keep everyone updated on this retrofit. I will make a DIY thread as well with tons of pics and detailed process. I appreciate all the help.

I do understand that if the bulbs do go, I'll have to open the headlights to get to them. That, I'm not too worried about. I have done a lot of "baking" of the headlights in my time, so I'm very confident in this area. Only problem is that it's time consuming. I'll keep everyone posted on the dent situation. I don't believe they will make much of a difference. Thanks again!
Old 02-08-12, 07:21 PM
ihazabonar
Driver

What about these?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3961

35w and 6000k. Has a 5 year warranty and bulbs,harnesses, ballasts included