IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

question about 75,000 mile service...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 11:34 AM
Ramonst3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about 75,000 mile service...

Just purchased my used 2006 is250 a couple of days ago. It had 73,800 miles. Do you guys think ill be able to get the dealer to do a free 75000 mile maintenance? if so how should I approach them? The car now has 74,100 miles on it.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-03-12, 11:35 AM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you bought from lexus?
Old 02-03-12, 11:38 AM
Ramonst3r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shervin350
you bought from lexus?
Yep! from McGrath Lexus in Chicago.
Old 02-03-12, 11:43 AM
Authorize
Driver

A better approach would be to ask for it when you bought the car. But give your salesman a call. What's the worst he/she can say? Good luck!
Old 02-03-12, 11:49 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramonst3r
Just purchased my used 2006 is250 a couple of days ago. It had 73,800 miles. Do you guys think ill be able to get the dealer to do a free 75000 mile maintenance? if so how should I approach them? The car now has 74,100 miles on it.

Thanks for the help!
There's nothing to do for the "75,000 mile maintenance" except an oil change (and to visually inspection your air and cabin filters- which you can do yourself, free, in about 5 minutes).

Going forward, don't ever, ever, ever, ask a dealer for the "X miles" service- they'll do no extra work and charge you 2-3x as much.

See here for what you need when:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5421225-post5.html
Old 02-03-12, 12:00 PM
Ramonst3r
Driver School Candidate

On the dealer website this is everything that they say is included, and the price. Is this all BS?

75K Dealer Recommended Service 06 IS250

Perform scheduled maintenance services that meet or exceed factory recommendations for vehicle mileage and age, including the following:
- Replace engine oil and filter
- rotate tires
- replace cabin filter
- Check tire pressure and adjust as necessary
- Inspect brake pads and rotors
- Measure tire tread depth
- Check all fluid levels and adjust levels as required
- Road test vehicle
- Inspect exterior lights
- Wash and vacuum vehicle
- Ask your service consultant for specific details on this service - Services vary by model

$243.58
Old 02-03-12, 12:19 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On the dealer website this is everything that they say is included, and the price. Is this all BS?

75K Dealer Recommended Service 06 IS250

Perform scheduled maintenance services that meet or exceed factory recommendations for vehicle mileage and age, including the following:
- Replace engine oil and filter
- rotate tires
- replace cabin filter
- Check tire pressure and adjust as necessary
- Inspect brake pads and rotors
- Measure tire tread depth
- Check all fluid levels and adjust levels as required
- Road test vehicle
- Inspect exterior lights
- Wash and vacuum vehicle
- Ask your service consultant for specific details on this service - Services vary by model

$243.58
Did you read Kurtz's post above?

Take a look at the above and think about 1) which of those listed items actually involve the dealership doing anything other than checking, measuring, or inspecting, and 2) which of these things can be done yourself.

- Replace engine oil and filter - Yes, this needs to be done
- rotate tires - Debatable on whether this needs to be done, moot if wheels are staggered
- replace cabin filter - Actually, your Scheduled Maintenance Guide only calls for cleaning it, not replacing it, so the dealer is lying to you. Either can be done in 5 minutes by you according to the instructions in your manual
- Check tire pressure and adjust as necessary - Aren't you already checking your tire pressure and making sure they're properly inflated? Should you pay a dealer to do this or should you get a $3 tire pressure monitor?
- Inspect brake pads and rotors - Nothing actually done here, and unless you think you're due for a brake service or are having problems there's no need
- Measure tire tread depth - Can be done yourself if desired
- Check all fluid levels and adjust levels as required - Can be done yourself if desired
- Road test vehicle - Why? If you're having a problem, you'd have brought it up to the dealer
- Inspect exterior lights - I'd hope you're doing this already
- Wash and vacuum vehicle - Nowhere does Lexus mandate or recommend times to wash and vacuum your vehicle

So what does it boil down to? An oil change, and possibly a tire rotation. An oil change should be $50-100 at the dealer, and a tire rotation something like $20 when coupled with another service. So at most you should be looking at $120, and that's on the high end. My dealer only charges $50 for an oil change.

So where does the rest of that $243.58 go? Into the dealer's pockets for labor hours spent measuring, checking, inspecting, and road testing. If you feel it's OK to spend $120-170 extra for the dealer to tell you things you should already know, or for them to check and test a car with no apparent issues, that's your choice. But this type of thing shows exactly how dealers screw you. Take a look at Kurtz's post above and read your Scheduled Maintenance Guide. In the future, never ask for the __k service. Just call and ask for the services you need.

Last edited by calvin2376; 02-03-12 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-03-12, 12:24 PM
Ramonst3r
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the response Calvin, I did read his post, just wanted to make sure. Im a first time car owner, 21, don't really have much expertise with fixing my own cars. Thanks for your in-depth response ill just ask them to rotate tires, and oil change
Old 02-03-12, 12:31 PM
calvin2376
Racer

thanks for the response Calvin, I did read his post, just wanted to make sure. Im a first time car owner, 21, don't really have much expertise with fixing my own cars. Thanks for your in-depth response ill just ask them to rotate tires, and oil change
If you're so inclined, in the 2IS FAQ thread at the top of the 2IS Owner's Forum page there are DIY threads for pretty much anything you could want to do to your car, including things like oil changes and spark plugs. CL will teach you everything you could want to know about this car.

Call up your dealer and schedule an oil change and tire rotation and see how much lower their price is when they haven't padded it with unnecessary things.

Also, check with the selling dealership. If they did an oil change and tire rotation before they sold the car at 74k miles, there's no need to do either again at 75k.

Also, one last word of advice. Never let a dealer or anyone else tell you that some service is required otherwise your warranty is void. For one thing, you're out of all warranties so that's moot. More importantly, however, that's completely untrue.
Old 02-03-12, 12:38 PM
Ramonst3r
Driver School Candidate

alright! thank you so much! i purchased a extended 3 year warranty with the car, so I have someee coverage. ill look into the FAQ here as well
Old 02-03-12, 12:54 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Is your car AWD?

If not then you can't rotate the tires front to back- they're different sizes front to rear.

(in theory you could rotate left to right IF the tires aren't directional- you'd need to check that though since they're certainly not the original tires after 73k miles.)

If it is AWD then yeah, they're all the same size, so you can at least rotate f/r, possibly all around if they're non-directional tires.
Old 02-03-12, 06:57 PM
haido84
Driver School Candidate

Yeah just go get an oil change and see if they would do the check up for free. I got a free check up on everything when i did my oil change and all i said was i just bought my car and the service manager just offered it for free.
Old 02-03-12, 07:02 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Authorize
A better approach would be to ask for it when you bought the car. But give your salesman a call. What's the worst he/she can say? Good luck!
The agonizing feeling of rejection will be the death of you. Don't do it OP!
Old 02-03-12, 08:51 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Another thing to consider is that there's no reason you have to go to the dealership. Every independent shop I've gone to for an oil change has thrown in a basic inspection (fluid levels, tire pressure, tread depth, etc) for free.
Old 02-04-12, 01:13 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Another thing to consider is that there's no reason you have to go to the dealership. Every independent shop I've gone to for an oil change has thrown in a basic inspection (fluid levels, tire pressure, tread depth, etc) for free.
+1. It really takes 5 minutes to check all of that stuff, there's no reason you should be paying a crazy premium for it.

Quick Reply: question about 75,000 mile service...