IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

question about 75,000 mile service...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 07:44 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can even go to a toyota dealer for the oil change if you don't want to do it your self, $60 and they check all that stuff.
Old 02-04-12, 07:55 AM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Tire rotation is required because differences in tread wear, right? For a RWD, once you get some staggered (front and rear wheel size different ?) aftermarket wheels (assuming they would be willing since they are aftermarket...)you cannot do tire rotation anymore. If that's the case when the tires are getting old should they just get replaced by new ones directly?

Not trying to thread jack, but also for RWD, which tires are getting worn down more, front or rear? And is it always a better idea to replace all 4 rather than just 2 tires at a time? Sorry I really don't know crap

Last edited by Kitty2IS; 02-04-12 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-04-12, 10:12 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitty2IS
Tire rotation is required because differences in tread wear, right? For a RWD, once you get some staggered (front and rear wheel size different ?) aftermarket wheels (assuming they would be willing since they are aftermarket...)you cannot do tire rotation anymore. If that's the case when the tires are getting old should they just get replaced by new ones directly?

Not trying to thread jack, but also for RWD, which tires are getting worn down more, front or rear? And is it always a better idea to replace all 4 rather than just 2 tires at a time? Sorry I really don't know crap
The 2IS RWD has staggered and directional tires from the factory- so you can't rotate them from the factory. (at least it did when I purchased- 100% for sure they're still staggered today but it's possible they're not directional which would let you rotate left to right, just not front to back)

But yes, it's normally done on cars to insure even tire wear.

Typically on a 2IS because of the crap factory alignment you wear the front inner tires out first (often in half the time you do the rear tires). Proper inflation and a good alignment aiming for 0 front toe can help with this.

As to replacing, it depends... generally speaking you want your "best" tires on the rear of the car, so putting new fronts on with old rears isn't ideal... because better tires on the front means if the car hydroplanes it'll be an oversteer situation where the car is spinning out of control... whereas the better tires on the rear is an understeer situation when hydroplaning and it's much easier to control.

In a car with 4 equal wheels this is simple- when 2 tires are replaced you simply insure the best (newest) 2 are on the rear... and as long as you stick to the same brand/type/model of tire this should be ok.

But since the 2IS is staggered, if your front tires go first, you can't do this... so while you CAN just put 2 new ones on the front, I'd recommend you replace all 4 (and fix what caused the fronts to die first)
Old 02-04-12, 10:23 AM
starknight
Lead Lap

Overall: Take to dealer = waste of money
Old 02-05-12, 12:54 AM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The 2IS RWD has staggered and directional tires from the factory- so you can't rotate them from the factory. (at least it did when I purchased- 100% for sure they're still staggered today but it's possible they're not directional which would let you rotate left to right, just not front to back)

But yes, it's normally done on cars to insure even tire wear.

Typically on a 2IS because of the crap factory alignment you wear the front inner tires out first (often in half the time you do the rear tires). Proper inflation and a good alignment aiming for 0 front toe can help with this.

As to replacing, it depends... generally speaking you want your "best" tires on the rear of the car, so putting new fronts on with old rears isn't ideal... because better tires on the front means if the car hydroplanes it'll be an oversteer situation where the car is spinning out of control... whereas the better tires on the rear is an understeer situation when hydroplaning and it's much easier to control.

In a car with 4 equal wheels this is simple- when 2 tires are replaced you simply insure the best (newest) 2 are on the rear... and as long as you stick to the same brand/type/model of tire this should be ok.

But since the 2IS is staggered, if your front tires go first, you can't do this... so while you CAN just put 2 new ones on the front, I'd recommend you replace all 4 (and fix what caused the fronts to die first)
Wow, thanks for all the explanation! extremely informative

This might be even more off topic, but since we're already talking, if I have a 2010 IS350 (and I think it's RWD) if I get some 19 staggered aftermarket wheels and tires, if I get a flat tire can I just replace it with the factory spare in the trunk and drive until I can get it fixed? Will it drive ok with 3 wheels that are 19", and 1 wheel/tire that is factory? Thank you thank you
Old 02-05-12, 04:47 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitty2IS
Wow, thanks for all the explanation! extremely informative

This might be even more off topic, but since we're already talking, if I have a 2010 IS350 (and I think it's RWD) if I get some 19 staggered aftermarket wheels and tires, if I get a flat tire can I just replace it with the factory spare in the trunk and drive until I can get it fixed? Will it drive ok with 3 wheels that are 19", and 1 wheel/tire that is factory? Thank you thank you
that depends on the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo... if it's similar to stock (that is, the wheel is larger, but the tire is lower-profile so the total diameter is about the same) you'd be fine.

Now, if it's not similar in overall diameter-

The ISx50 (RWD) doesn't have a mechanical limited slip, so there's somewhat less risk if you have to run different diameter wheel/tire on the same axle for a little while (on an AWD car, or a RWD car with a mechanical limited slip diff, you can physically damage/ruin the system running different sizes for very long)... but I still wouldn't go any further than I had to, and I'd drive pretty slowly as your trac/vsc/vdim systems will likely be confused if the size difference is significant.
Old 02-07-12, 08:40 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Thanks

Yeah the spare is stock, it came with the car at least now I know it's ok to drive with it on plus 3 other aftermarket 19 wheels and tires if I really have to
Old 03-21-13, 04:26 PM
RobertCase
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kurtz
There's nothing to do for the "75,000 mile maintenance" except an oil change (and to visually inspection your air and cabin filters- which you can do yourself, free, in about 5 minutes).

Going forward, don't ever, ever, ever, ask a dealer for the "X miles" service- they'll do no extra work and charge you 2-3x as much.

See here for what you need when:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5421225-post5.html

Thanks for the helpful link!
Old 03-21-13, 07:03 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i find it funny how people buy a luxury car and complain about service prices being too high... its not like we're driving kias or something.. anyways, if its a certified pre owned vehicle you get 1 free oil change from the dealer
Old 03-21-13, 07:05 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and if you happen to screw up doing your own maintenance you end up having to pay for whatever else you jacked up. if a dealer screws up, they pay for it and give you a free loaner car.
Old 03-22-13, 03:56 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually only get oil changes at the dealer and usually the inspect everything anyways.