IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

More noob questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 12:44 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More noob questions :)

New girl to modding, can anyone let me know what is main difference between all wheel drive and rear wheel drive?

Also, I have stock 18's now, and it says in manual that I can't put snow chains on these wheels. Is this true?

Thanks in advance guys
Old 02-02-12, 02:20 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So with RWD just the rear wheels make the car move...

AWD all 4 wheels drive the car....

Not sure why we can't use chains "/ probably not enough clearence.

Last edited by Sffd103; 02-02-12 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-02-12, 03:56 PM
evogt500
Pole Position

They probably dont recommend it because the 18inch tire sidewall is so narrow. There is probably big chance that you can damage the rim with the chains.
Old 02-02-12, 03:58 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I dont see why not i seen a few member on here that use them going up to the mountain in cali. were they are needed.
Old 02-02-12, 04:28 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to modding. Probably the potential for damage but if you drive slow I think they'd be fine. What are you looking to mod on your ride?
Old 02-02-12, 04:38 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

I may have an old set of chains for my IS laying around. They make chains specifically for low profile tires. I know lots of people who have used chains on their IS with no issues.

I never used mine b/c we bought an RDX and use that for the mountains.
Old 02-02-12, 11:18 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iRock
So with RWD just the rear wheels make the car move...

AWD all 4 wheels drive the car....

Not sure why we can't use chains "/ probably not enough clearence.
Thanks What I actually wanted to know more about is how the two would handle under different driving conditions (mountain, snow etc), acceleration (I heard awd accelerates faster), and other factors.

If I'm not mistaken awd is more expensive? So I thought there must be benefits associated with it ..
Old 02-02-12, 11:20 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by evogt500
They probably dont recommend it because the 18inch tire sidewall is so narrow. There is probably big chance that you can damage the rim with the chains.
Oh I see. The manual did not give a specific reason
Originally Posted by laobo979
I dont see why not i seen a few member on here that use them going up to the mountain in cali. were they are needed.
I see, thanks !
Originally Posted by isthrizzy
I may have an old set of chains for my IS laying around. They make chains specifically for low profile tires. I know lots of people who have used chains on their IS with no issues.

I never used mine b/c we bought an RDX and use that for the mountains.
Oh, I'll look into that, thanks
Old 02-02-12, 11:29 PM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Welcome to modding. Probably the potential for damage but if you drive slow I think they'd be fine. What are you looking to mod on your ride?
I have few things on mind already
1. Most likely going to go with springs rather than coils. Altho most people recommend coils but I drive in CA and do not plan to go to track or anything. I just want a good look drop and do not like the look of tucked tires. Once I drop it it'll most likely stay that way forever so I don't see the potential benefit of coils.

2. EXHAUST! I really want an F sport, but I'm just after the sound so I don't see myself spending $1,000+ on an exhaust alone. Thinking to go with M2 + Invidia. Lots of people say fitment of M2 is off but I really don't want to spend too much money for "sound." And most people say this setup does not drone much. I might just need to pay for adjustments, etc ..

3. Are visors worth the money? I think they mainly just for looks..but for the money I'm still debating

4. Sway bar? Haha sounds like something a guy would want to get . . but I heard it improves handling by a lot!

More to be added in the future
Old 02-02-12, 11:29 PM
Kauro
Pole Position

AWD is great to have. You can drive on any condition as long as you have the right tires for whichever condition you are in. I personally loved my evo because it was awd. Now i have a rwd, i must say i have to be extra cautious in the rain with rwd than awd.

Here's a link to a thread that would help benefit your understanding on AWD vs. RWD. Hope it helps.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...wd-vs-rwd.html
Old 02-02-12, 11:32 PM
Kauro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kitty2IS
1. Most likely going to go with springs rather than coils. Altho most people recommend coils but I drive in CA and do not plan to go to track or anything. I just want a good look drop and do not like the look of tucked tires. Once I drop it it'll most likely stay that way forever so I don't see the potential benefit of coils.

2. EXHAUST! I really want an F sport, but I'm just after the sound so I don't see myself spending $1,000+ on an exhaust alone. Thinking to go with M2 + Invidia. Lots of people say fitment of M2 is off but I really don't want to spend too much money for "sound." And most people say this setup does not drone much. I might just need to pay for adjustments, etc ..

3. Are visors worth the money? I think they mainly just for looks..but for the money I'm still debating

4. Sway bar? Haha sounds like something a guy would want to get . . but I heard it improves handling by a lot!

2. I heard if you take it to a muffler shop they would adjust it for you for a few extra dollar. But just call before hand if you are really looking into the m2. .

3. If you dont want JDM ones for 400, then look into AVS on ebay for 85 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUND-794008-...item27c1ec44b8

4. yes, do it!
Old 02-03-12, 06:11 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kauro
AWD is great to have. You can drive on any condition as long as you have the right tires for whichever condition you are in. I personally loved my evo because it was awd. Now i have a rwd, i must say i have to be extra cautious in the rain with rwd than awd.

Here's a link to a thread that would help benefit your understanding on AWD vs. RWD. Hope it helps.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...wd-vs-rwd.html
There's a much longer thread or two in the 2IS section that might be more helpful on the topic, a search should turn em up.

IMHO AWD on a 200-300 hp car is a complete and utter waste of money unless you routinely have to climb very steep hills in the snow... (it will also win drag races in the snow with equal tires, but you probably ought not be drag racing in snow.... outside of snow it loses every race)

In virtually every other situation the AWD car is inferior in nearly every way. It's slower, it's heavier, it gets inferior mileage, and it's actually inferior for stopping and emergency handling in bad weather.

And that's assuming proper tires... things get even worse when most AWD owners just leave crappy all-seasons on their car year round, counting on their magic drivetrain to save them... while RWD owners actually switch to snow tires and literally drive circles around them, because tires are far more important than drivetrain in most situations.

Now, give me a car much north of 400 hp....AWD starts to show significant performance advantages in a lot more situations... ditto if you expect to drive off clean paved roads much (which is why AWD dominates the rally races where there's a lot of dirt/mud driving)... but otherwise? overhyped, overmarketed, oversold, waste of $.
Old 02-03-12, 10:43 AM
Lexus408
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kitty2IS

2. I def recommend the F-Sport if you have the money to spend. I could be bias cause I just recently put it on my car. Love the way it sounds though.

4. I am putting on the rear sway bar here in a couple weeks. Everything I read says its a must. Plus the price isn't bad at all.
Old 02-03-12, 11:02 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus Japan has chains for their car.

Originally Posted by Lexus Japan

クルマを前後に移動させずに取り付けられる新構造。また、走り出すとゴムの力が働く自動増し締め機構により、装着後の面倒な締め直しの必要がなく、走行中は常にチェーンをタイヤへフィットさせます。取り外しも前面のレバーを引くだけで瞬時に行えます。

New structure is attached to the car without moving back and forth. In addition, the automatic clamping mechanism increases the power of the rubber works, without the need for tedious re-tighten after installed and start running, while driving will cause the tire chains to fit always. Can be done instantly by simply pulling a lever on the front is also removed. - using Google translate
Don't think it looks like its 18" from their picture.

Original can be seen here.
http://lexus.jp/models/is/specificat...on/safety.html
Old 02-04-12, 08:07 AM
Kitty2IS
Lead Lap

Thanks so much guys for your feedbacks

Quick Reply: More noob questions :)