IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What is the pre collision system on grille?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 12:45 PM
RayLai417
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the pre collision system on grille?

I was about to buy a oem grille on sewell but i noticed there were two. There was on with a pre collision system and one with out it. How do i know if i need the pre collision system or how can i find out if i have it on my car now or not?
Old 01-31-12, 12:58 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RayLai417
I was about to buy a oem grille on sewell but i noticed there were two. There was on with a pre collision system and one with out it. How do i know if i need the pre collision system or how can i find out if i have it on my car now or not?
PCS is probably the rarest option available for the 2IS except perhaps ML without Nav... it's the advanced radar cruise control system. The L badge on the front grill acts as the radar sensor and looks distinctly different from the regular L badge on cars without PCS.
Old 01-31-12, 01:17 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's one picture of the PCS emblem:

Name:  5501431053_d9744cc025_o.jpg
Views: 5754
Size:  141.4 KB
Old 01-31-12, 01:43 PM
RayLai417
Rookie

thnk you very much! i guess i dont have it then
Old 01-31-12, 01:50 PM
Heckler
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would know - there is a button on the steering wheel controls that shows a car with >>> radar waves in front of it.
Old 01-31-12, 03:18 PM
stasis3131
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by brociouz
Here's one picture of the PCS emblem:

Damn your car is hot ... Makes me want those fenders
Old 01-31-12, 06:35 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm. Anyone know if the pcs emblem will fit on non pcs grille?
Old 01-31-12, 07:43 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

It won't.

Jeff
Old 01-31-12, 10:18 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Then I'll just buy the pcs grille
Old 01-31-12, 10:40 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Goodness, the emblem with radar cruise control is $819.64. That's one expensive emblem! Add to that the cost of the distance sensor $1,732.99. Hope I never get hit in the grill.

It's a great option, the first time the car slams on the brakes when someone gets in front of you it's pretty amazing.
Old 04-27-13, 03:48 PM
BigD026
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by istarzan
Hmmm. Anyone know if the pcs emblem will fit on non pcs grille?
I don't know if a PCS emblem could fit on a non-pcs grille....but I do know the non-PCS grill and emblem allows for the PCS to work.(sorta).

I bought my 2009 in Dallas last month and had no idea about the PCS system. I didn't even know there were two types of emblems. Once i did some research, i found out my car had the system, but not the grille. The car fax was clear when i bought the car, however i had suspicion the car was in a unreported fender bender. < I emailed the dealer and explained what i discovered, but they claimed they didn't repair or replace anything. The car was repaired and replaced with the cheaper Non-PCS grille and emblem. < that sucks.

Anyways, the PCS light was coming on over 80mph in more congested traffic or in the rain. I think the non-pcs grill and emblem distorts the sensors computer and it fails. It seems to reset after i drop below 70mph and let traffic clear up in front of me.

You can't use cruise if the PCS light is on. I plan on converting it back to the front grill and emblem in the future. I thought to drive around without the grill to see if it was the non-pcs emblem causing the light to come on.

MemphisDave

What is the pre collision system on grille?-badges1.jpg
What is the pre collision system on grille?-pcs1.jpg
What is the pre collision system on grille?-pcs2.jpg
Old 04-27-13, 09:38 PM
Samieee
Pole Position

^ First time seeing a photo of that steering wheel button
Old 05-09-13, 07:47 AM
Jake
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know which car you bought! I was actually looking at it. I too noticed that the front grill emblem was not the PCS but the inside had the button, so I knew something was up. The CARFAX was clean too, so someone must have done a side job. Your IS has the ideal package, congrats!
Old 06-24-13, 08:39 AM
BigD026
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakers95
I know which car you bought! I was actually looking at it. I too noticed that the front grill emblem was not the PCS but the inside had the button, so I knew something was up. The CARFAX was clean too, so someone must have done a side job. Your IS has the ideal package, congrats!
I bought it from TexasCarz in Dallas. I never knew about this rare option until I got the car back to Memphis. Anyways, It was in a minor fender bender because the grill has been replaced with a non-PCS grill and emblem. Also, the distance sensor support arms were slightly damaged, but the sensor works perfectly if the non-pcs emblem doesn't distort it too much. Its getting worse on the PCS failures and I'm thinking it has to do with the non-pcs grill emblem. I now have a Main failure Light to check the PCS system. It's annoying because it stays on all the time. now. I thought to drive around without the Grill to see if that is the problem.

I was not a happy camper when i discovered this minor fender bender that didn't show up on CarFAX. Otherwise, i love the color, condition and sport options. It's everything i wanted(39,000 miles too) except for the minor PCS issue. < It's hard to find any information on the internet about troubleshooting the PCS system for any lexus. I guess i'll keep posting info I learn about it since no one else has problems with it.

Probably the only IS350 in the country with the pre-collision system without a non-PCS emblem or grill. What is the pre collision system on grille?-myis-june-smaller.jpg
Dave

Last edited by BigD026; 06-24-13 at 08:55 AM. Reason: attach photo
Old 06-24-13, 08:43 AM
Jake
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without the sensor on the grill it will not work properly. I know that emblem/sensor combo is slightly under 1k. I would take the car back to them and demand they fix it like it should be. You can also report it back to Carfax and that could hurt the dealer. It is for sure very rare to have PCS. Maybe a handful of people have it on here.

Quick Reply: What is the pre collision system on grille?