IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer sold me a car without emission what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-12, 05:33 AM
Geo123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dealer sold me a car without emission what to do?

Long short story I bought my car at the land Rover dealer of Alexandria Virginia cuz I though it was a good deal I inspected the car the radio wasn't working the sales person told that it was working before but she said don't worry still under bumper to bumper warranty Lexus will fix it, second bad thing tires were bad (don't know how they got it inspected) but I agree to buy it anyways.
1st trip to the Lexus dealer they "inspected " they said the amp.was bad and they were going to order the part (almost 2hours wasted)
2nd trip they called me they have the part waited for almost 2 hours again and they told me the amp
Was missing on my car and they can't put the new one in unless I pay for it.
I called land Rover dealer trying to speak we the sales person she wasn't there I left I voice mail she never call back so I drove to the dealer and there she was "about to call me".
So she told me to leave the car they give a loaner it took 7 days to get my car back ;
NOW SHE EMAIL ME SAYING THEY APPARENTLY LOST THE CERTIFICATE EMISSION INSPECTION ASKING ME TO TAKE MY CAR TO LEXUS DEALER AND GET IT DONE THEN FAX THEM A COPY "THEY WILL REFUND ME THE MONEY"
IM REALLY TIRED OF THIS DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO CHECKING OF THE RECCORDS THE CAR CAME FROM NEW YORK AND NEVER HAD VIRGINIA EMISSIONS
Old 01-20-12, 05:39 AM
Soap
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to say this but it really sounds like you didn't do your due diligence when researching and purchasing this car.
Old 01-20-12, 07:12 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Soap
Sorry to say this but it really sounds like you didn't do your due diligence when researching and purchasing this car.
Yep I agree. I'm curious what you paid for the car and with what mileage and options to believe it was a good deal, but yet you already have all these headaches. Definitely would've been more satisfied buying a certified pre owned. Hope you get everything worked out.
Old 01-20-12, 07:38 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Sucks to hear, but if you got a great deal, this may be why. Post some more info like RDIS250AWD said!
Old 01-20-12, 07:39 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely didn't do your diligence. Sounds like she already gave you the answer to your question though: take your car for an emissions inspection, pay the nominal fee and get it refunded by the Land Rover dealer.

The amp question is more complicated, and resolving it will involve complaining to the dealership sales manager and pushing back continually until they agree to make it right.
Old 01-20-12, 07:55 AM
Damaster32
Lead Lap

I live in VA also, isn't it illegal for them to sell you a car that doesn't have VA inspection and EMISSION INSPECTION
Old 01-20-12, 07:57 AM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damnnn.. lemon law????
Old 01-20-12, 08:10 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by c-low
damnnn.. lemon law????
Has nothing to do with it. The car appears to be fine except it's missing a component, the amp. Nothing's malfunctioning. OP shouldn't have left the dealership without a guarantee they would fix that issue no matter what the cause (even if it's covered by warranty). Don't ever buy a car with issues and take the salesman's word for it that it would be covered by warranty: just make them fix it.

I had this happen with my car. It was CPO and on the test drive, the dash rattled like crazy. I pointed it out to the salesman and he said don't worry, just buy it and get it fixed under the CPO warranty. I did my homework and found that issue was NOT covered by CPO, so I made the salesman sign a "We Owe" slip stating his dealership would fix the issue no matter what the warranty coverage status.
Old 01-20-12, 10:03 AM
Geo123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Yep I agree. I'm curious what you paid for the car and with what mileage and options to believe it was a good deal, but yet you already have all these headaches. Definitely would've been more satisfied buying a certified pre owned. Hope you get everything worked out.
Its a 2008 is250 awd no navigation with 26k miles on it I got it for $22k plus taxes and fees
Old 01-20-12, 10:06 AM
Geo123
Driver School Candidate

The dealer were I bought my car replaced the amp so I'm good on that but now they want me to take the car to get emission like I have time to waist
Old 01-20-12, 10:12 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

22k doesnt seem like a bad deal at all.. but sucks that you have to go thru so much hassle, hopefully everything gets taken care of
Old 01-20-12, 10:14 AM
Geo123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Damaster32
I live in VA also, isn't it illegal for them to sell you a car that doesn't have VA inspection and EMISSION INSPECTION
Yeah that's what I'm trying to find out the weird part the tags that I got from the dealer expire till 12-2013 how is that possible
Old 01-20-12, 01:10 PM
707IS350
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From now on you should get everything they promise in writing and I wouldn't go to Lexus for the Inspection. They sold you the car they should handle it for you and give you a loaner or rental till it's fix.
Old 01-20-12, 01:37 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by 707IS350
From now on you should get everything they promise in writing
Yes you should absolutely get everything in writing before buying.

Originally Posted by 707IS350
and I wouldn't go to Lexus for the Inspection. They sold you the car they should handle it for you and give you a loaner or rental till it's fix.
I think you read this wrong. He bought his car at a Land Rover dealer, NOT a Lexus dealer. He then took the car to the Lexus dealer and they pointed out the problem to him. So really, the Lexus dealer is the one that helped him out by pointing out how the Land Rover dealer screwed him.

And when buying a Lexus, you should ALWAYS take your car to a Lexus dealer for a pre-purchase inspection, no matter where you're buying from (if it's a Lexus dealer, take it to a different dealer). That's because 1) Lexus dealers have the most knowledge of the car and know about things like TSIBs and common issues, and 2) your interests are aligned so the Lexus dealer should be working FOR you. What I mean by that is if you're considering buying a Lexus and you take it to a dealer for a pre-purchase inspection, it's in their best interest to pore over the car for every issue there is so that they can gain your business fixing them before or after you buy the car, as well as gain you as a customer for future service if you buy the car.
Old 01-20-12, 01:53 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Sorry Calvin, can't agree with you saying Lexus Dealers have the most knowledge of the car, for example, I went in to Lexus to check why my power steering light is on and have no more power steering. They said, check the power steering fluid. (FYI our cars have electric powersteering)

To OP, Tell them your time is money and they should stop wasting it. They should be the ones taking responsibility for things that should've came with the car (the emissions paperwork). I've bought and sold used cars. Smogging has always been an issue where you have to write down who does the smogging or the seller MUST smog the car before he or she sells the car. Good luck

Quick Reply: Dealer sold me a car without emission what to do?