IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Your beef/gripes with the ISX50

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-12, 08:01 AM
allmotor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
No you don't. The only TPMS related thing you'd need a dealer for is if you were changing one of the sensors out for a new one.

If the light comes on (and nothing is broken) then you have a low tire. You fix that by inflating it properly. (or if it was much colder than normal when it came up, just wait till it warms off and goes off on its own)

If you've changed tires to something that inflated to a different-than-stock PSI you can reset the "normal" pressure value yourself- directions in the owners manual.

And you can always clear any code yourself by pulling the ECU fuse for a few minutes (though shouldn't have to in this case since it's not an engine code, the TPMS light will go off on its own when you correct the cause)
Tha ks for the replies, I did indeed figure it out not sure how touchy the system is but seems the tires were only off by a few psi? Must have had to
Do with them getting squished on the dyno... Either way the lights are finally gone!
Thanks again...
Old 01-30-12, 07:36 AM
drive90
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
Because the dual clutch transmission is a failure. Something called the mechatronics always fails. I'm not sure but VW group cars are slowly trying to replace the DSG gearbox to something more reliable.
Source, please? I seriously doubt you're correct seeing as how VW Group uses them in multiple cars including, but not limited to: Jetta, GTI, Passat, CC, A3, S4, and Carrera!
Old 01-30-12, 11:47 PM
Kauro
Pole Position

The seats does not fold down...had to stop myself from buying items that contains long boxes at Ikea LOL.
Old 01-31-12, 09:46 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by drive90
Source, please? I seriously doubt you're correct seeing as how VW Group uses them in multiple cars including, but not limited to: Jetta, GTI, Passat, CC, A3, S4, and Carrera!
Come on buddy, are you really telling me that you don't know how unreliable the DSG gearbox's are ? Just google DSG gearbox reliability for answers. I know DSG have their pros but their cons are surely poor reliability.

VW share their DSG gearbox from their low range Skoda's to Porsche through VW and Audi. If you see Audi they sell their cars in 2 transmissions in our markets , 1st mostly with CVT and very less DSG's , you can guess why ? Skoda's though use mostly DSG's and through personal experience I've seen many friends car's just stop in the middle of the road for no reason and never starts. Service Advisors tell us that it's Mechatronics failure and the entire transmission has to be changed and this is a common problem.

Here is a link since you asked

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DSG-faq-VW-Audi.htm

I'm not sure about the phasing out of DSG's though since I just read it on some forum somewhere.

Check these links out too and read VW Golf GTI owners problems below at the comments section

http://www.my-gti.com/832/volkswagen...c-control-unit

http://www.vweosclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4001

Last edited by stanjohn12; 01-31-12 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Additional links provided
Old 01-31-12, 10:27 AM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

i did not know what a rock chip was until i got my car. my hood looks like a stary night.

Last edited by DRivera250; 03-01-12 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-31-12, 10:30 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 398 Likes on 242 Posts

All the above plus i wish 250 meant 250 hp and 350=hp and is f could be v8-500+hp

Old 05-25-12, 09:34 PM
jacksonman
Driver School Candidate

I'm late to the thread, but for me it is definitely the stability control and super high idle when cold. These are serious safety concerns, way more than being able to see the track list of the current CD - Lexus believes this is a threat to safety and disables the display when the wheels are turning, but they don't care that killing the throttle when I most need it is simply dangerous.
Old 05-26-12, 01:58 AM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

^^What rpm is your idle when cold? Mines about 2000 rpm. You can turn off your traction control by holding it for at least 5 seconds. I wouldn't do it on a 350 though.
Old 05-26-12, 04:09 AM
aQuarius26
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No fold down rear seat, & the fact that they made a hole for skis, but it does not fit a snowboard :/
Old 05-26-12, 04:56 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe GM should provide a CTS for every American who had to bail their sorry butts out. Even if it was free, I would still sell it. I personally wouldnt buy a car nor brand that depreciates faster than the water running down your drain.

As for my gripes...

Not to much gripes...
  • Cup holder, it holds my cup/bottle just fine
  • Back seat, didn't buy it for a back seat and knew this was more of a "4 door coupe" , RX, GX and LX are people haulers!
  • Small trunk, didn't buy it to have a Ford Crown Victoria cavern in the back
  • Water getting on seats...EVERY car will let water in if it is wet...come on, this isn't a design flaw.
  • Paint chips, Lexus/Toyota paints are some of the best in the business...CLEAR BRA!!!

Real gripes / Design Flaws
  • NAV is sub par, a garmin works better than the Lexus NAV. MY 2010 RX350 with the newest Gen is sub par as well.
  • Brake dust, just put a low dust pad on cars front the get go.
  • clicking ticking motor on the 350.

Other than this, the IS lives up to its Lexus high standards. The fit and finish is good even on a 2006 IS350. I'm a proud owner of 2 Lexus and cannot be happier with the two of them. Service and quality of both are very good. I have rolled in and out of many cars, Lexus is still king.

My MINI/BMW a whole different class of car. Great fun car and power and torque to weight ratio is unmatched. But not as refined as the Lexus.

]
Originally Posted by stanjohn12
1 ) I had a slight creaking noise from my front dash which was fixed under warranty.

2 ) A horn sounded funny which was replaced under warranty.

3 ) Some wind noise which i have not addressed to the dealer yet since they might just say , get an LS if you want a super silent car

4 ) Road noise getting into the cabin while going on rough roads.

Not 100 % happy with my Lexus since the yardstick for comparison was my friends Cadillac CTS. Same year , same mileage and his car is just great or better than my IS in every department. It' super silent , way too powerful , awesome features and everything is covered for 4 years including brake pads , oil etc which we would have to pay for. I can't believe (GM)Cadillacs have made a Lexus beating car finally
Old 05-26-12, 09:18 AM
jacksonman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISBU
^^What rpm is your idle when cold? Mines about 2000 rpm. You can turn off your traction control by holding it for at least 5 seconds. I wouldn't do it on a 350 though.
I checked my email since I sent a few pictures of the gauges to Lexus. One shows RPMs of 1,800 and moving at 18 MPH, temp gauge showing about 1/3 from the cold mark. The other one taken 2 miles later shows RPMs at 1,000 with 32 MPH showing, and temp gauge showing nearly half way mark, so it upshifted all the while without my foot touching the gas pedal and driving on near flat to slight incline. No kidding! I could post pictures if I knew how. It starts high then slowly drops, but since I am usually driving less then 15 minutes it doesn't always drop to a normal 800-1,000 revs. To help with this I had a remote starter installed so I can let it warm up before I get in and drive away.

I have made it standard practice in cold temps to turn off the traction control when I leave my driveway or work's parking lot. Too bad it always defaults to on after restarting the car.
Old 05-26-12, 10:27 AM
RWDorGTFO
Rookie

No 6MT on is350's

Only reason I went with a 250 instead.
Old 05-26-12, 03:45 PM
sthakor92
Driver

I can't seem to find the nitrous button. The factory seems to have hidden it.
Old 05-27-12, 12:00 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Ok just to keep everyone updated. I took my friends Cadillac CTS a few months back and test drove it to see if it was still silent as the day I heard before. Trust me , his CTS sounds much worse than before , compared to his car my car is like a mass less cathedral.

He has all kinds of noises , creaking noise under the seats , around the arm rests , dash board squeaking noise and the central console that lifts up also makes noise. The car itself sounds so cheap now. No wonder Cadillacs have no resale value. They are never as well built as our IS's.

So I take back all my gripes about my Lexus. I'm in love again :-) His car is still very powerful though :-( , that 3.6 V6, Grrrrr.
Old 05-27-12, 12:34 PM
nayilsi
Driver School Candidate

Car feels less stable at higher speeds 70 MPH +.
Too much road vibration through the steering wheel at speeds of 60+ mph = Driver Fatigue. Even with steering dampers.
Brakes after 70 MPH doesn't feel as confident.
road noise @ 65 MPH + (I have the continental DWS, which is highly rated).

Wish I could do something about these.

Last edited by nayilsi; 05-27-12 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Your beef/gripes with the ISX50