IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP! Engine code: P2009 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Low Bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-12, 08:17 PM
isdreamz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! Engine code: P2009 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Low Bank 1

Hi,
I've search the forum but couldnt a thread about engine code P2009 so I'm making the thread hoping you guys can help me fix the problem.

Last week, I did the DIY 60k service including replacing filters, spark plugs, and brake fluid. After putting everything back together, the engine started up with VSC check engine and the track control light. So I checked to make sure the sensors are not loose, clean the MAF sensor, disconnected the battery to reset. The engine light went away for couple days and came back again. I repeating the "reset" process and it sure solved the VSC issue but it keeps on coming back.

So I stopped at auto zone and they came out with the code: "P2009 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Low Bank 1". Does anyone had the same issue and got it solved? I'm thinking of the sensors got loose but there are many and I dont know which one is bank 1. Please help. Thanks

Andy

Last edited by isdreamz; 01-13-12 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-13-12, 09:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Google says you're the only Lexus owner with this issue posting on the web. Are you sure you plugged everything back the way it was? There is a diverter in the intake manifold on the IS250, if you missed it on the plug in exercise, it might cause this code.
Old 01-13-12, 09:30 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

That code pops up all the time, usually after the intake is removed and connectors are disturbed. Clear it and see if it comes back, if everything is plugged in properly, im willing to bet the code wont come back.
Old 01-13-12, 11:08 PM
isdreamz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There is a diverter in the intake manifold on the IS250, if you missed it on the plug in exercise, it might cause this code.
Iobuxracer,
I'm not sure what you mean but I made sure all the nuts and bolts went in place when I put the manifold back on. I also rechecked the sensors many many times to make sure there's not loose connection. Wondering why the VSC light went away when I reset the ECU but it keeps on coming back after a few days?
Old 01-14-12, 01:54 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the connectors behind the intake, I'm pretty sure you broke a wire back there. Fyi bank 1 is the right side ( passenger )
Old 01-16-12, 01:58 PM
isdreamz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advises guys but I have no luck. I tried pretty much everything I could think of but still no go. The code only went away for few cycles and will come back while driving. I might have to take it to the dealer. Its sux that My car has 60k miles so its no longer under warranty.
Old 01-16-12, 07:01 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by isdreamz
Thanks for the advises guys but I have no luck. I tried pretty much everything I could think of but still no go. The code only went away for few cycles and will come back while driving. I might have to take it to the dealer. Its sux that My car has 60k miles so its no longer under warranty.
Powertrain warranty runs to 70k miles actually. Dunno that this will fall under it, depending what it is though.
Old 01-16-12, 08:25 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey sorry dont mean to hijack your thread, but i got a similar issue if anyone can help, i just did the spark plug diy. and i got the check engine light and vsc also. autozone came out with code P0348 ( which says camshaft position sensor ) Bank 2
i checked all the wires and none are loose, and disconnected battery terminal, and still has not gone off for 2 days.
Old 05-03-12, 01:14 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Deathrow23
Hey sorry dont mean to hijack your thread, but i got a similar issue if anyone can help, i just did the spark plug diy. and i got the check engine light and vsc also. autozone came out with code P0348 ( which says camshaft position sensor ) Bank 2
i checked all the wires and none are loose, and disconnected battery terminal, and still has not gone off for 2 days.
This is where I am too, did you find out what the problem is??
Old 08-19-12, 07:39 AM
chiautla
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by isdreamz
Hi,
I've search the forum but couldnt a thread about engine code P2009 so I'm making the thread hoping you guys can help me fix the problem.

Last week, I did the DIY 60k service including replacing filters, spark plugs, and brake fluid. After putting everything back together, the engine started up with VSC check engine and the track control light. So I checked to make sure the sensors are not loose, clean the MAF sensor, disconnected the battery to reset. The engine light went away for couple days and came back again. I repeating the "reset" process and it sure solved the VSC issue but it keeps on coming back.

So I stopped at auto zone and they came out with the code: "P2009 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Low Bank 1". Does anyone had the same issue and got it solved? I'm thinking of the sensors got loose but there are many and I dont know which one is bank 1. Please help. Thanks

Andy
did you find the solution for the engine code P2009?
Old 08-19-12, 07:40 AM
chiautla
Driver School Candidate

Please post the the steps on how you fix if you have taken care of the engine code P2009
Old 07-14-15, 07:44 PM
Neo77
Driver School Candidate

Bumping an old thread, This is the only thread I've found online about the P2009 dtc and c1201 on the is250 and figured id share our experience with it. While my wife was driving home from work, her 2009 IS250awd threw this code. The car still ran fine and other then the dtc and disabling of the vsc, the car ran normally with no issues on cold start, or weird idling issues. So after reading the code i checked under the hood for any wire connections that could have come loose and everything looked ok. The only maintenance I did on it is replacing the HID bulbs and doing an oil change two months ago. So I cleared the code and hoped it wouldn't return but it came back 2 days later. it has 88,000 miles on it and we had the local Lexus dealer complete the fuel pressure sensor recall a few months back.

I called and set an appointment with the dealer to have them run some diagnostics and provided them my findings of which code the car threw. I get a follow up call this afternoon and the service tech advised me that the technician had ran the codes and did some troubleshooting. he had found that the intake runner butterflies were getting stuck and had to break them free and reset the ecu, after putting it back together and going for a test drive the code came back on and the butterflies were getting stuck again an in doing so burned out the imrv motor. So they recommended that we should replace the intake runner/lower intake manifold since they cannot replace the burned out motor as we would have to purchase the whole runner as a single piece and they are unable to just replace the imrv. (which didn't sound right to me as i would think the imrv motor can be replaced as a separate piece.) the total bill to repair it would be $1,170 of that $800ish was the lower intake manifold runner

I had discussed with the service tech that it was a coincidence that this would happen shortly after they had the manifold off to complete the fuel pressure sensor recall and there was a possibility that during removal they could have damaged the imrv motor. the service tech disregarded this and said there is no way that the two had any correlation and their was nothing they can do.

Not satisfied with this i decide to call the service manager to discuss the situation and using my linguistic and negotiation skills they offered to cover the cost of the part as long as i paid the labor charges which were around $350ish.

I decided this was a good compromise as this is my works busy season and i don't really have the free time to do the repair myself to save on the repair.

Sorry for the long write up but i figured id give our experience with the P2009 dtc.

Thanks

Z

Last edited by Neo77; 07-15-15 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-15-15, 01:20 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Just goes to show you can negiotate for/with anything! Good work, and thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-15-15, 05:48 PM
Neo77
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Just goes to show you can negiotate for/with anything! Good work, and thanks for the feedback.

Thanks Gville350

I figured it was worth a try and i really didn't have anything to loose. If the service manager would have said they couldn't have done anything then i would have sourced the parts myself and repaired it myself. But it worked out well and i guess when your dealing with a reputable Lexus dealership they try to help in any way they possibly can. And i know you mainly hear of the negative things that people experience with dealerships so its good to get out the good stuff as well. to Lexus of lehigh valley.
Old 08-26-17, 07:07 AM
ligangyi
Driver School Candidate

Just registered to add how I fixed my p2009 on a 2009 IS250. This was the 1st post I could find so hopefully that helps somebody else with the same issue.

Took apart the upper plastic intake manifold and lower aluminium intake manifold to reach the motor on the right side of the lower intake (when viewed from the front, it's the driver's side in the US). Removed 2 screws (they were on real tight) on the actuator flap motor and found a nut in there loose and flopping around. Put 2 drops of blue Loctite and fastened the nut. The original idea of this fix was found here.

https://www.drive2.ru/l/451038637363037292/

Had to disconnect a bunch of harnesses and remove the throttle body to get in there. Hopefully, that fixes my problem.

Quick Reply: HELP! Engine code: P2009 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Low Bank 1