IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$1,100 for the 60K!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-13, 03:14 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that the dealer prices are insane. I wouldn't even consider them for the spark plugs aside from the fact that I think my car will be headed to the very $$$ carbon build up repair and I don't want them to jerk me around saying something may not have been done correctly. I may very well ditch the Lexus at 9 years when that warranty expires as the expensive risk is not worth it if the problem gets bad. And if the crappy idle from the carbon build up starts the car will be very difficult to sell privately unless you trade it in and get screwed for sure.
Old 12-26-13, 03:38 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pivo154
Initial_K: How so? The Lexus adviser clearly said its Lexus Policy (not their particular dealership policy) that does not allow them to use parts outside of their own dealership. I also had spark plugs from sewell.
While my service advisor was writing up the ticket to have the carbon build up done, I just told him that I had some OEM Lexus Spark plugs in the trunk of my car and that I needed to them change out as well.

He was going to charge me for labor (I decline), but he later called me on my phone and said they've replace it, free of charge since they are taking the engine apart anways.

The only time I bring my car to the dealer was to get recalls done.

BTW the spark plug are nothing special, they are regular denso toyota spark plug and you don't need to change them until 90K miles. I've talk to many mechanic that do not work for the dealership and they recommend it change at 90K.
Old 12-26-13, 03:49 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

I would think that the plugs would last until 90K but 2 dealers who I asked have told me that our since our service books that came with the car say it should be done at 60K (I only have 40K but car is 6 years old) that they could give me a hard time if the carbon issue rebuild was needed since I would not have performed the recc service intervals. (Not sure if they were giving me BS but don't want to have to fight over the carbon build up rebuild). I had the top engine cleaning done a while ago but car already does not idle great so I would not be surprised if it gets worse and needs the big repair.
Old 12-27-13, 11:19 AM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

ajfinoak: big repair? Im just going to wait until I hit 60k since im currently @ 51k. I will try to see if Toyota can just do all the 60k service stuff since Lexus will not use the Sewell Lexus parts I purchased online...which are the same parts they will use but prob charge me much more...