IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DIY - for an oops moment. Tried to replace cabin air filter without setting to circ.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 07:07 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts
Default DIY - for an oops moment. Tried to replace cabin air filter without setting to circ.

I felt so dumb for doing it, but yes I didn't read the manual before attempting to change my cabin air filter for the first time. I popped the panel off in the glove box and tried to lift the cover, it made a snap noise. Knowing I may have made a mistake, I decided to research how much damage I had done. Most people claimed you have to remove the dash, and in some cases you may have to, but after seeing how mine broke I believe that most others in the same boat will have a similar failure.

This DIY will show you how to reattach a broken linkage arm to the air circulation hood and controlling motor. As usual, perform this DIY at your own risk.

First thing to establish is whether the motor is still working or not. Cycle the fresh air/ recirculate button with the car turned on but not running. You should be able to hear the faint whine of the motor working behind the glove box. I had to cycle a couple times before I was sure the motor was still operational because it's fairly quiet. If the motor is no longer working you can order a new one from Sewell for $125 with the CL discount (8710630430). Please double check with a Lexus parts tech to ensure that is the correct part number.

Since things were broken with your system in fresh air mode, please make sure to set the button to fresh air before proceeding. This will ensure the linkage and air hood will all line up properly when reaffixing.

Now your ready to fix! You will need:
a) philips screwdriver
b) 10mm socket and socket wrench
c) flashlight
d) loctite plastic epoxy

Start by disconnecting the negative battery terminal, and wait 90 seconds, as you have to remove the passenger side knee airbag, and you don't want that going of inadvertently.

Remove the passenger side dash side panel. It is held in by clips and pops out from the front.

Remove the kick panel at the bottom of the passenger side dash. It should just pull down. Disconnect the led attached.

There are 3 10mm bolts holding the knee air bag in. Two on the lower right and one on the lower left. Remove them and drop down. I didn't disconnect this piece, just set it on the ground and it should not be in the way.

Open the glove box. There are 5 screws to remove. Three on the top and two on the bottom. In the picture bellow the screws are already removed so the holes are more visible. Once the screws are removed the glove box will still be held in by two tabs. I was able to give it a yank outwards to dislodge it. I did not disconnect the wiring from the glove box, I just set it down out of the way.

Next, remove the screw in the picture below connected to the air duct. Then drop it downwards to take it out.

Remove the screw holding the blue box and move out of the way.

I wish I would have taken pictures of the actual damage, but I was unsure whether this fix would work so I had held off. The main body of the blower is made out of Polypropylene, which was a concern because there is really no glue that will stick to it. My only glimmer of hope was that the broken linkage arm was stamped with POM which is Polyoxymethylene and that is glue-able. It now appears that the hood that the linkage arm attaches to is POM as well so Loctite plastic epoxy will bond

The red arrow points to the arm that was broken, I found the linkage arm fallen down below. It is attached captive to a peg coming off the hood to raise and lower it. The break was on the peg, and at a slight angle so I was able to put it back into proper position. The lower blue arrow shows where the other end of the linkage attaches to the servo motor linkage. This connection is a small peg that slides up and down in the "broken" linkage piece. If your motor is dead you will have to replace it now. It's the black box near the blue arrow.

After testing out this fix it seems that placing a screw into the linkage, as you see bellow, is unnecessary. I have since removed the screw and ensured proper functionality. If you want to still install the screw as well use a self tapping hex-headed screw. I used an 8x18 1.5" but be sure you bore out a hole through the center of the broken peg attached to the broken off linkage, this ensures you'll be able to drive it all the way into the other side by hand. I used a 1/4 socket wrench which worked fine.

Mix up the plastic epoxy and apply to the broken areas. Set the linkage in its proper place, with the small servo arm peg in the slider, and press the broken halves of the hood peg together. I held it for about 5 minutes before letting go. In the picture bellow you can see the linkage piece freshly glued in (you can also see some extra glue which should be wiped away).

Let the epoxy dry for a full 24 hours before you even breathe on the thing! I reattached my battery for a moment after waiting 24 hours (careful of the airbag!) and turned the ignition on to test everything out. When you cycle the circ.-fresh button the hood should lift and lower without issue.

Reassemble everything in the exact opposite order you took it apart, and enjoy saving a butt load of $

Last edited by rcJten; 01-12-12 at 09:57 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by rcJten:
2IS3fifD (03-22-24), Arrta (08-20-17), MikeMacd (03-01-20), Sunyride (01-29-21)
Old 01-11-12, 07:48 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write-up. After I realized the dealer had broken mine, it was too late since the car was out of warranty by then. Been lazy to fix this myself, but thanks to your DIY, I've got some motivation to fix her up. Thanks!
Old 01-11-12, 08:38 PM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was planning to fix mines next week using nail glue... hope that works!
Old 01-11-12, 08:45 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

what happens when that linkage arm is broken?
Old 01-11-12, 08:47 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

nice write up i can see this happening quite a bit...
Old 01-11-12, 09:12 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fuzzie
i was planning to fix mines next week using nail glue... hope that works!
I would highly recommend using Loctite plastic epoxy, allot of other glues might have a hard time bonding to the surface.

what happens when that linkage arm is broken?
The car will be unable to change between fresh air and recirculate.
Old 01-11-12, 11:12 PM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everyone doesn't leave their a/c on circulation mode?? lol
Old 01-11-12, 11:29 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Excellent writeup, should be helpful for those with the same problem. My car is always in recirculate mode though, prefer it over the outside air.
Old 01-12-12, 04:00 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to do this excellent write up.
Old 01-12-12, 05:51 AM
msb028
Driver School Candidate

Outstanding write-up! I wish I had this guide a couple of months ago when I did this fix.

The end piece on my lid was broken at almost a 90 degree angle. I just kept the screw in and it works just fine!

Old 01-12-12, 07:22 AM
mikeeymikee
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up. Thanks
Old 01-12-12, 08:32 AM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joeker
everyone doesn't leave their a/c on circulation mode?? lol
i always have mines n recirc but my thing still broke changing the filter. well, not sure if its broken or jammed, cuz when i hit fresh air, it makes a jamming noise till i hit recirc again
Old 01-12-12, 09:56 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fuzzie
i always have mines n recirc but my thing still broke changing the filter. well, not sure if its broken or jammed, cuz when i hit fresh air, it makes a jamming noise till i hit recirc again
You should take the passenger knee air bag, and glove box out. It's simple to do and you'll be able to see exactly what is happening under the dash so you can fix it.
Old 01-12-12, 06:32 PM
birador
Lead Lap

atleast you fixed it without getting robbed by dealer.thanks for the info.
Old 01-12-12, 07:53 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up...... I smell sticky?

Quick Reply: DIY - for an oops moment. Tried to replace cabin air filter without setting to circ.