IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Where the hell did this dent in the roof come from???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-12, 04:50 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these issues on Stick shift or auto transmissions?
Old 01-08-12, 10:44 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some pics of my damages for you to see. Please keep in mind that the gas tank didn't touch the IS, only the right side tires. On the top right picture you can see how the gap between the front fender and the windshield pillar (or whatever that's called) is supposed to be and in the next pic you can see how they were "merged" together. You can also see a slight gap in the hood and the 2 dents around the sunroof area.
Attached Thumbnails Where the hell did this dent in the roof come from???-hood.jpg   Where the hell did this dent in the roof come from???-left-side.jpg   Where the hell did this dent in the roof come from???-right-side.jpg   Where the hell did this dent in the roof come from???-ls-sunroof.jpg   Where the hell did this dent in the roof come from???-rs-sunroof.jpg  

Last edited by Alex350; 01-08-12 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 09:33 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Looks very familiar! Boo!
Old 01-09-12, 09:36 AM
Lexus408
Pole Position

That is exactly what my roof looks like. Sad story. How many are we at now?
Old 01-10-12, 07:05 AM
mier
Rookie

Is anyong going to get the dent repaired?
Old 01-10-12, 05:30 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus408
That is exactly what my roof looks like. Sad story. How many are we at now?
Lost count...sad huh!
Old 01-10-12, 06:08 PM
Vipor
Rookie

Dang, I'm starting to get worried about MY car now. This past weekend, I ran over a pothole with the front right tire. The only thing I checked at the time was the tire and rim to make sure I did not dent it and the corner spoiler to make sure I did not break it.

Think I'll go check it out right now to see if my roof has a dent in it.

On another note... Hey Alex350, Is your roof painted black is wrapped?

Originally Posted by Alex350
Here are some pics of my damages for you to see. Please keep in mind that the gas tank didn't touch the IS, only the right side tires. On the top right picture you can see how the gap between the front fender and the windshield pillar (or whatever that's called) is supposed to be and in the next pic you can see how they were "merged" together. You can also see a slight gap in the hood and the 2 dents around the sunroof area.
Old 01-10-12, 10:55 PM
norapat01
Former Sponsor

This is a stupid problem to have. When a car cost more than $40K (is350) it shouldn't have problem like this, look at BMW, Audi, and Benz. Seriously, someone should post this for the general public to see...that way Lexus would quickly remedy the issue at their expense.
Old 01-10-12, 11:31 PM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

Great pics Alex350. Those examples show exactly of the car's chasis flexing.. It's most likely happening on everyone's ISx50 but most won't notice the differences. However I have to admit, yours are extremely obvious..

Originally Posted by norapat01
This is a stupid problem to have. When a car cost more than $40K (is350) it shouldn't have problem like this, look at BMW, Audi, and Benz. Seriously, someone should post this for the general public to see...that way Lexus would quickly remedy the issue at their expense.
Actually it doesn't matter on what car make.. This issue is happening on most brands including the ones you listed. 2 of my friend's BMW have multiple dents and you can find quite a few Mercedes' owners with same issues on other forums.
Old 01-10-12, 11:58 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Muggy
Great pics Alex350. Those examples show exactly of the car's chasis flexing.. It's most likely happening on everyone's ISx50 but most won't notice the differences. However I have to admit, yours are extremely obvious..

Actually it doesn't matter on what car make.. This issue is happening on most brands including the ones you listed. 2 of my friend's BMW have multiple dents and you can find quite a few Mercedes' owners with same issues on other forums.
I assure you they do not have dents in them due to the car flexing. My old IS250 never did this and I had it for 50000 miles, yes I did drive the **** out of it as well.

Seriously though dude, in your statement how can you even come close to justifying this obscenely horrible defect. What gives.
Old 01-11-12, 01:11 AM
J250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sincityIS
I assure you they do not have dents in them due to the car flexing. My old IS250 never did this and I had it for 50000 miles, yes I did drive the **** out of it as well.

Seriously though dude, in your statement how can you even come close to justifying this obscenely horrible defect. What gives.
"Dude" first off, Calm down...... I made that statement because this was based on all what i have read through multiple forums with the exact same issue and dents. And Yes, I read through every single pages for the links i provided. I have also seen these dents multiple times in person and discussed with numerous different body shops who each concluded the same conclusion in the past. I also mentioned that it COULD be from a major pot hole. I believe you probably did drive the crap out of your IS but there is a POSSIBILITY that you never encountered a major pot hole as bad as the OP or Alex350 (who has 2 dents). Again, I can't prove that IT IS 100% this issue but it's the closest reasoning compared to anything else.

Now if you can tell me why more than 12 members on here are having almost identical dents including all the other car brand owners in NA, please be my guest. But so far not one person in this thread has mentioned anything close to the reasoning of the dents except is300SD2, Heyarms, and Alex350 (who also concluded with the same reasoning with his body work shop). Heyarms also explains clearly where the dents could be coming from with his engineering skills.

BTW, congrats on not having any issues with the 250 even after 50,000 miles.

Originally Posted by heyarms
This is exactly where high stress concentration would be to cause this dent, though. When you put a hole, or more roughly a rectangle, in a solid sheet of metal and contort it, around the hole/rectangle is where you'll see problems. And I am an engineer (not to be all high and mighty haha)

Last edited by J250; 01-11-12 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-11-12, 03:42 AM
dembou
Rookie

Count another 06 IS350 in the sunroof-corner dent club. Stock rims and suspension. I've hit several serious potholes though!
Old 01-11-12, 07:56 AM
nastyemu
Driver

Just want to chime in: I have this same dent. Driver's side moonroof corner. I have no idea when it happened but I first noticed it about 5 months ago...

I have stock x-package suspension.

When I first noticed it I did some googling and it actually seems like a semi-common dent for any vehicle with a moonroof. The corners are apparently very weak structurally...
Old 01-11-12, 08:37 AM
shortbus19
Pole Position

Sounds like it might be advisable for a list of names to be gathered, photographic evidence put together and all submitted to Lexus NA. I highly doubt if any of you bring your cars to the dealership that they will do anything. Seems like Lexus engineers may need to investigate this.
Old 01-11-12, 08:40 AM
Lexus408
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shortbus19
Sounds like it might be advisable for a list of names to be gathered, photographic evidence put together and all submitted to Lexus NA. I highly doubt if any of you bring your cars to the dealership that they will do anything. Seems like Lexus engineers may need to investigate this.
I agree. I just recently stopped by the service center and my service rep stated this was not covered under warranty. And he has never seen or heard of anyone with this problem.

Quick Reply: Where the hell did this dent in the roof come from???