REAL carbon fiber overlay - my DIY project

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 09:41 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default REAL carbon fiber overlay - my DIY project

OK,
So many months ago I decided I wanted to try to wrap my own interior parts with REAL carbon fiber. I had the 3M Dinoc as well as the other nefty wrap and I didn't like either of them, but at the same time wasn't planning on shelling out $$$$ for the Think Design products.

I will say that the process is definitely a pain in the butt, and it took me lots of time to nail my process. It requires lots of patience, lots of time, and it's very easy to screw up.Reworking a part is a complete nightmare so getting the process right the first time is essential; I can see why places charge so much.

So the parts I did so far are center console and the 4 switch plates. I still need to redo the cover for the cup holder and ash tray, so hopefully I can do those soon.

Anyway, this first batch is not perfect, but it looks pretty damn good IMO. The pictures don't look as good as the actual parts do, enjoy ....
Attached Thumbnails REAL carbon fiber overlay - my DIY project-console-compressed.jpg   REAL carbon fiber overlay - my DIY project-switch-plate-compressed.jpg  
Old 01-05-12, 09:55 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by isthrizzy
OK,
So many months ago I decided I wanted to try to wrap my own interior parts with REAL carbon fiber. I had the 3M Dinoc as well as the other nefty wrap and I didn't like either of them, but at the same time wasn't planning on shelling out $$$$ for the Think Design products.

I will say that the process is definitely a pain in the butt, and it took me lots of time to nail my process. It requires lots of patience, lots of time, and it's very easy to screw up.Reworking a part is a complete nightmare so getting the process right the first time is essential; I can see why places charge so much.

So the parts I did so far are center console and the 4 switch plates. I still need to redo the cover for the cup holder and ash tray, so hopefully I can do those soon.

Anyway, this first batch is not perfect, but it looks pretty damn good IMO. The pictures don't look as good as the actual parts do, enjoy ....
Looks good!
Care to share with the rest of us that are DIY junkies like myself on how to do this? I currently have my interior wrapped but would like to tackle this project as well.
Old 01-05-12, 10:06 AM
lpv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks real clean. Do share how to diy.
Old 01-05-12, 10:19 AM
is_baby
Lead Lap

So nice! Def makes a big difference in the interior
Old 01-05-12, 10:29 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks great! How much time did you invest in this project?
Old 01-05-12, 10:45 AM
ximd
Pole Position

looks really good. waiting on the diy as well!
Old 01-05-12, 11:03 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm assuming it went a little something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdVO8Rkv6c
Old 01-05-12, 11:18 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Let's see, the time it took is hard to say because I messed around with at least 10 different processes to come up with a process which I think works, and that involved a lot of tearing down and starting over again which completely sucks to deal with....my fault for not using test coupons first.

I am not a point for sharing a complete DIY since I may decide to eventually do this type of work, but I can tell you that all the information to do this is on the internet, you just have to search for it. Even with that information, I can tell you that the learning curve is difficult. I'd highly doubt that anyone nails on it on the first try, but if you can, then kudos to you.

Basically you need to buy the following:
Carbon fiber material (2x2 twill is what I used... I forget which weight but I can look that up)
quick set epoxy
marine grade epoxy (use West Systems Epoxy)
dremel cutting tool
hand files (for doing the detail work around the shifter gate, etc)
lots of razor blades
sand paper ranging from 500-4000 grit
clear coat paint

again, I'd recommend perfecting it on test coupons as it's a ***** to get this stuff off and back to the starting point.

Here's a general overview that will get you going, the rest you need to learn through trial and error:
Basically put down the quick set epoxy
Lay down the carbon fiber, make sure it is sticking to all areas you want covered
let it dry
apply marine grade epoxy, let dry
trim the fiber around all edges
sand down any epoxy imperfections on the surfaces
apply marine grade epoxy, let dry
sand down any epoxy imperfections on the surfaces
use sand paper to get really nice edges....sanding blocks help
use razor blades and files to get all the cuts for switches, shifter gate, etc.
apply one more epoxy coat (not necessary, but that's what I did)
sand out imperfections, then progressively sand down from 500 to 4000 grit to take out all surface scratches
apply clear coat
sand down imperfections using 2000 followed by 4000 grit wet sand paper
hand polish using typical car polish (I used Menzerna)

I must state that all of the work should be done using proper safety gear (latex gloves, respirators for dust, respirators for epoxy, etc).

Also, I will reiterate, this is not easy. If you do try it and begin to find difficulty (which you will), PM me and I'll see how to help.

I would have to say that while trying to figure this out, I started thinking "why the hell did I start this". Quite honestly through various materials and processes I've tried I spent more $$ than I saved by doing it myself, but I like to learn new things and being a former process engineer, I like the challenge of working out a new process.

Last edited by isthrizzy; 01-05-12 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-05-12, 11:44 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

mad props to you!
Old 01-05-12, 12:15 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

can I ship u my console
Old 01-05-12, 01:15 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Mad props to you for taking the time and effort and doing it yourself. I'm sure the entire process was a PITA but the end product looks like it was well worth it.
Old 01-05-12, 01:26 PM
Heckler
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done! Now that you know how to work with CF what is the next CF project?
Old 01-05-12, 01:37 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Heckler
Well done! Now that you know how to work with CF what is the next CF project?

Thanks man, the next project will be harder... this will be the 3 dash vents. It's harder because of the contours of the 2 outer vents.... I got wrinkles on these even with teh 3M Dinoc, so I expect these to suck something major when using real CF.

I also have a spare trim for around the speedo that I want to cover.

Once I nail those parts, then I might start looking into doing molded parts. I have all the equipment (vacuum, vacuum bag materials, filler fabrics, PVA, valves, etc.) but that is a much more difficult thing than overlaying parts so I don't foresee me getting that far ahead until the summer time when I have more spare time to mess around with stuff.
Old 01-05-12, 01:40 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Nice CF! That will be my next mod for sure
Old 01-05-12, 01:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Heck of a job man

Quick Reply: REAL carbon fiber overlay - my DIY project