IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Angel Eyes? LED? 2012 AUDI a6 Style light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 07:22 AM
Mancebof
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Angel Eyes? LED? 2012 AUDI a6 Style light?

Since I have an 06 and paying $1000+ for the LED Nike lights as i like to call them is not an option i was exploring the posibility of adding angel eyes. I am a bit reluctant because angel eyes are a trademark of BMW's and vehicles with them seem to just be posing. Ideally I would love to maybe find a strip with the charachteristics of the angel eyes where much like the new audi lights its a line of light as opposed to individual LED's as they used before. Does anyone know if i can find such a strip? what is exactly the name of it?
Old 01-05-12, 07:34 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

As you know Angel eyes belong on bmws. LED strips are cheap. They sell them at pepboys,autozone, and advance auto parts. Most members here are against the angel eyes idea but at the end of the day its your car, your money, so go for it if you like it. JLC is a vendor here that does some good custom lighting with the head lights and it might fit your budget. I would look into that instead.
Old 01-05-12, 07:38 AM
Mancebof
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
As you know Angel eyes belong on bmws. LED strips are cheap. They sell them at pepboys,autozone, and advance auto parts. Most members here are against the angel eyes idea but at the end of the day its your car, your money, so go for it if you like it. JLC is a vendor here that does some good custom lighting with the head lights and it might fit your budget. I would look into that instead.
Im not too crazy about angel eyes either as i stated. Ideally i would like to find a strip with the seemless run of light throught like it does in angel eyes but i would like to run it horiztonally allong the bottom of the light. If you look at the new model Audis like the 2012 A6 & A7 you will see what im reffering to.
Old 01-05-12, 07:44 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

A while back i was also looking into angel eyes. My reason against it was not cause it was copying bmw as i dont see it as a big deal, People tell me Lexus copied Audi with the led strip all the time and it doesn't bother me one bit. Anyways, i chose not to get them cause many people had problems with the bulbs after only a short period of time. I didn't wanna deal with it. Also aftermarket led strips tend to look quite cheap and tacky. Be cautious about both paths, do your research and figure out if its for you.
Old 01-05-12, 07:46 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mancebof
Im not too crazy about angel eyes either as i stated. Ideally i would like to find a strip with the seemless run of light throught like it does in angel eyes but i would like to run it horiztonally allong the bottom of the light. If you look at the new model Audis like the 2012 A6 & A7 you will see what im reffering to.
All it is, is a clear plastic tube and at each end is a LED bulb. An easy DIY. You just need to run a wire to either a switch so you can turn it on and off or perhaps the engine relay so it acts like a drl and turns on whenever your car is on and it'll always be on when your car is running. Google angel eyes and you should be able to find a site that sells those tubes. Then you just bake your headlights to get it open and put it down with some type of adhesive, glue or 3m tape. I would use 3m tape that way should you ever wanna take it out it'll be easier to clean up without messing up your housing vs glue
Old 01-05-12, 08:26 AM
Mancebof
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
All it is, is a clear plastic tube and at each end is a LED bulb. An easy DIY. You just need to run a wire to either a switch so you can turn it on and off or perhaps the engine relay so it acts like a drl and turns on whenever your car is on and it'll always be on when your car is running. Google angel eyes and you should be able to find a site that sells those tubes. Then you just bake your headlights to get it open and put it down with some type of adhesive, glue or 3m tape. I would use 3m tape that way should you ever wanna take it out it'll be easier to clean up without messing up your housing vs glue

Sounds good. I just worry that it would look pale how i have seen some people that swapped their bulbs on older BMW angel eyes for LED ones sometimes have them look pale. I thought newer ones had light emitting all throught the tube not just two led bulbs feeding the light through the tube. thanks for your tips.
Old 01-05-12, 08:50 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mancebof
Sounds good. I just worry that it would look pale how i have seen some people that swapped their bulbs on older BMW angel eyes for LED ones sometimes have them look pale. I thought newer ones had light emitting all throught the tube not just two led bulbs feeding the light through the tube. thanks for your tips.
I'm not sure about the new ones but I don't think it would be pale with a high watt bulb