IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Front hub assembly replacement IS 250

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 04:55 PM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by A1cntrler
As a lifetime shadtree mechanic and former parts counter monkey, my money goes to Timken for bearings. Rockauto.com (Google for the ever-present 5% off coupon code) or get the part number for the bearing off Rockauto and look on Amazon. I'm a Amazon Prime subscriber so I get free 2 day shipping (awesome deal for brake rotors as they're so heavy) and the parts are about the same price as Rockauto once you figure the Rockauto shipping plus Amazon has it to me in less than 2 days usually.
thanks for that got my hubs already! I need other info ..
Old 02-11-15, 05:09 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ants250
thanks for that got my hubs already! I need other info ..
Sorry. I replied to the original post and now see that it is quite old.

I think the sensor might be built into the rear axle instead of the bearing like the front wheels. Not 100% positive though as I haven't had to poke around in the back on my IS yet.
Old 02-11-15, 05:28 PM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Sorry. I replied to the original post and now see that it is quite old. I think the sensor might be built into the rear axle instead of the bearing like the front wheels. Not 100% positive though as I haven't had to poke around in the back on my IS yet.
Oh built into axle? Wierd can't really find any info on this rear wheel hub assembly. Thanks for that.

Hey Jeff Lange around? Lol..

Last edited by Ants350; 02-11-15 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 09:31 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ants250
Oh built into axle? Wierd can't really find any info on this rear wheel hub assembly. Thanks for that.

My wife got home in our IS350 so I went out and poked around under it (as best I could laying on the garage floor with a flashlight). I didn't see what I was looking for under the rear end. What I was looking for is similar to what is on my 1990 Thunderbird SC and can be seen below circled in yellow. These rings have a sensor that detects the speed of each axle and tells the ABS how to behave:

Since I didn't see those on the back of the IS, I came in and searched for the rear ABS sensor for a 2008 IS250 (not sure what year you have). Here is a link to the different sensors and what they look like. Not sure if it will help you or not, but it doesn't appear to be a piece that is built into the bearing/hub like the front for a RWD IS.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=1912
Old 02-12-15, 01:33 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

My wife got home in our IS350 so I went out and poked around under it (as best I could laying on the garage floor with a flashlight). I didn't see what I was looking for under the rear end. What I was looking for is similar to what is on my 1990 Thunderbird SC and can be seen below circled in yellow. These rings have a sensor that detects the speed of each axle and tells the ABS how to behave: Since I didn't see those on the back of the IS, I came in and searched for the rear ABS sensor for a 2008 IS250 (not sure what year you have). Here is a link to the different sensors and what they look like. Not sure if it will help you or not, but it doesn't appear to be a piece that is built into the bearing/hub like the front for a RWD IS. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=1912
I have a 2007 Is250 RWD. Thanks for doing that! I will into it thanks again.
Old 02-03-18, 12:08 PM
AARONHL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone confirm what size (mm) the axle nut is on the front of a 2006 Lexus Is250 AWD? I need to replace the bearing

edit I found this:

"Install the front axle hub sub-assembly and front disc brake dust cover with the 4 bolts.
Torque: 69 N·m (702 kgf·cm, 51 ft·lbf) (Same for 2WD and 4WD)

If it's AWD, Using the socket wrench (30 mm), install a new front axle hub nut.
Torque: 294 N·m (2,998 kgf·cm, 217 ft·lbf)"

Last edited by AARONHL; 02-03-18 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-17-20, 06:02 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As a lifetime shadtree mechanic and former parts counter monkey, my money goes to Timken for bearings. Rockauto.com (Google for the ever-present 5% off coupon code) or get the part number for the bearing off Rockauto and look on Amazon. I'm a Amazon Prime subscriber so I get free 2 day shipping (awesome deal for brake rotors as they're so heavy) and the parts are about the same price as Rockauto once you figure the Rockauto shipping plus Amazon has it to me in less than 2 days usually.
Its my understanding that TimKen makes the OEM that you find it the car already. when you buy the part as a genuine part you are just paying for a fancy box. I found this out when i did my hubs. its not that hard a job at all and one you can get away with doing yourself to avoid the vultures and the Stealerships.
Old 12-20-20, 05:40 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by bryceis250
Its my understanding that TimKen makes the OEM that you find it the car already. when you buy the part as a genuine part you are just paying for a fancy box. I found this out when i did my hubs. its not that hard a job at all and one you can get away with doing yourself to avoid the vultures and the Stealerships.
I don't think I've ever seen Toyota use Timken for any bearings. Typically it will be Koyo, NSK, NTN, occasionally SKF, etc., don't expect to find any Timken bearings on a Toyota or Lexus from the factory, especially if made in Japan.

Not sure off the top of my head, but I would expect the IS uses Koyo bearings with Denso sensors.

Jeff
Old 12-20-20, 08:36 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i got that mixed up... all the OEM level aftermarket will have the NSK bearings, Timken has NSK bearings...if you buy a fancy lexus box it will be an NSK bearing inside it. a little different then what you've said, but thanks all the same for the correction!
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Lange (12-20-20)
Old 12-22-20, 04:30 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Ants350

My wife got home in our IS350 so I went out and poked around under it (as best I could laying on the garage floor with a flashlight). I didn't see what I was looking for under the rear end. What I was looking for is similar to what is on my 1990 Thunderbird SC and can be seen below circled in yellow. These rings have a sensor that detects the speed of each axle and tells the ABS how to behave:

Since I didn't see those on the back of the IS, I came in and searched for the rear ABS sensor for a 2008 IS250 (not sure what year you have). Here is a link to the different sensors and what they look like. Not sure if it will help you or not, but it doesn't appear to be a piece that is built into the bearing/hub like the front for a RWD IS.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=1912
Originally Posted by Ants350
I have a 2007 Is250 RWD. Thanks for doing that! I will into it thanks again.

Old posts but the "tone ring" is part of the rear wheel bearing. Look here...

The clip by the dust shield is where the ABS sensor goes. Look to the right inside of the spindle about 3:30 o'clock position and you see the hole for the sensor and the threads that hold it.

Be advised that pulling the hub/bearing will leave the leave the dust shield loose on the axle and very difficult to re-install. Also take note that the sensor should be removed BEFORE removing the hub assembly.