IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My IS injured by Semi-Truck Today - Advice needed on how to fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 05:09 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd take it to a detail shop and see if a professional could do it. Otherwise it's paint the bumper which costs a lot.
Old 12-02-11, 05:16 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear. I think the liner is about $100 or so per side. But the rubber will come off like others said.
Old 12-02-11, 05:22 PM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smokyis350
The damages doesn't look bad at all. Even if there is a nick here and there, eventually you will get rock chips on your bumper.

Long story short, my brand spanking new IS350 in 2008 got hit in 1 month on my rear bumper. Someone tapped my bumper and left minor scuff marks. I was planning to repaint it because I want my car to be perfect. Luckily I didn't because the next month I got hit in same area on the bumper. This time it left 4 screw holes on my bumper.

And the fender liner looks repairable. Just do a cheap bondo job

I basically don't even have fenders in the front anymore. I might as well just drive without one because my front tires scraped a giant hole to the front.
Doesn't look that bad...? but like transformers, there is more than meets the eye... usually. I plan to wash, clay, buff, and wax tomorrow morning. Hopefully your right, and that will eliminate most of the markings in front. Not sure what to do about what scratches or nicks that may remain. Praying they are not visible.

As for the plastic... I am definitely not putting "cheap bondo" on my 3 month old IS . Hope that was a joke. It's not repairable as its plastic and torn. If it's less than $750, my insurance will comp it if it's over, it goes against my collision deductible. My insurance said it was a big plus I have the trucks informatio, pictures, and a police report, and I should reach out to the Trucking Company and try to file a claim. This may or may not be a painful process tho.
Old 12-02-11, 05:46 PM
isdouble
Rookie

Sorry to hear! Somewhat similar situation happened to me about 2 weeks ago where the vehicle in front of me hit a piece of tire which flew onto my front bumper. My damage isn't bad as yours but definitely left paint chips and scratches. About a week ago I got rear ended as well. So many accidents happening to us. Sucks! Anyways, good luck with the repairs! I'm still waiting on the adjuster to come out to take a look at my rear bumper. =(
Old 12-02-11, 09:42 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhonyISF
Doesn't look that bad...? but like transformers, there is more than meets the eye... usually. I plan to wash, clay, buff, and wax tomorrow morning. Hopefully your right, and that will eliminate most of the markings in front. Not sure what to do about what scratches or nicks that may remain. Praying they are not visible.

As for the plastic... I am definitely not putting "cheap bondo" on my 3 month old IS . Hope that was a joke. It's not repairable as its plastic and torn. If it's less than $750, my insurance will comp it if it's over, it goes against my collision deductible. My insurance said it was a big plus I have the trucks informatio, pictures, and a police report, and I should reach out to the Trucking Company and try to file a claim. This may or may not be a painful process tho.
Oh please, a few rubber mark near the bottom of your bumper and it is the end of the world?

I am not joking about bondoing the fender liner. Who the hell will look underneath the car and point out you have a "torn" fender liner. And a torn plastic is repairable. How do I know? I JB weld my fender liner together because my wheels was rubbing a giant hole. Now I don't even give a rats *** anymore. There is nothing you can do when you have aftermarket wheels and drive low.
Old 12-02-11, 10:54 PM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

^ never said it was the end of the world. But I like to take good car of my cars, 3 months old or not. I'm not driving a beater, I'm driving an IS and it's my daily driver. Maybe yours is a beater and you don't care about appearance or maintaining your car. I'm hoping my semi-pro detailing skills will get'er done but i think past some of those black rubber marks could be some nicks or scratches down to the grey fiberglass. I'm not gonna rig my car with bondo and cannot do so anyways. It's plastic that is torn and the clips/screw that hold it in place have torn. I'm also not a mechanic, I leave that to pro's who know what they are doing. I'm pretty sure it needs to be replaced. I really don't care how you feel about your car but I appreciate mine and like getting compliments on how great it looks and how clean it is. I don't have any substantial mods, just a few appearance mods. I drive a stock IS250 Fsport for the most part, so no 20" wheels or suspension mods. Thanks for your first opinion no reason to get butt hurt if I shut it down cause I like to keep my car clean and in "like-new" condition.
Old 12-02-11, 10:58 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Go to Ace Hardware, get some 3M general adhesive remover... Bam, this stuff should be gone like magic. Alot faster than claying and won't remove any clearcoat like scratchx might if you rub too hard.
Old 12-02-11, 11:06 PM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

^ Thats a good call. Definitely would be faster... didn't even think about that. But I have time tomorrow morning so I might just do a wash, clay, then use a smooth cut polish like Meguiars X2 or Quixx. I also have a decent paint enhancer polish/swirl reducer that I could use on my electric buffer at a nice slow speed. If I end up sleeping in a bit before I head to Lexus to get a quote on the wheel well liner, I'll probably go your route. Thanks!
Old 12-03-11, 01:43 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Back in 2009, I was in the exact situation you were in. I was driving at night on the Freeway (Ventura Co.) when a shuttle van blew a tire and left the debris in the middle of the lanes. He nor the CHP did anything to remove the tire and of course at the last minute there it is in the darkness in my lane. Couldn't go around it and BAM.
So I got off the freeway, inspected my front bumper (which was damaged), got back on and pulled up behind the van. Told CHP what just happened but he too said there wasn't much that could be done. I asked if I could at least get the van driver's info. CHP said he'd try and so he went up to the driver and came back with his business card. I recorded his license plate and then went on my way. When I got home (2 am), I called the shuttle company and told them what had just happened. The next day I called again and ended up speaking to the president of the company, who said their insurance would take care of it. They sent out an adjuster a few days later and I got the front repaired on their dime.
So, I'd persue it if you have damage. The fact that you documented everything will help. I even went as far as to contact the CHP office to get a record of my call to them right after the accident happened. This proves the incident happened and you were a part of it. Having that is just another bit of proof that could work in your favor.
Good luck!
Old 12-03-11, 05:56 PM
ToeMas8
Pole Position

^ Thanks for sharing man. Glad to hear positive outcome is possible.

Left my car with Lexus to get a quote today and they failed to call me back with a quote so I have a loaner till Tuesday. Last they told me they have to order the parts. As for my front bumper... i washed, clayed it, and did a smooth cut polish afterwards, I think it I used Meguiars #86. As expected, lots of scratches and nicks down to the grey fiberglass Not very noticeable, as the scratches reside more underneath but the nicks are visible if you take a close look. Lexus doesn't have a "paint shop" and all they would do is provide me with touch-up paint which also wasn't in stock.