IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS 350 with stock tires and rims. Smart to change from air to nitrogen?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-11, 08:17 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 IS 350 with stock tires and rims. Smart to change from air to nitrogen?

Costco uses nitrogen on all tire replacements. I'm still on my stock tires from 2007. I kinda want to change the air to nitrogen. Not for performance, but for stability or the pressure. Should I do it? What are the down side to nitrogen on tires and rims that weren't originally designed for it?
Old 11-11-11, 08:58 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard of rims or tires that were designed for nitrogen. You can use it on any vehicle. Go for it if you want.
Old 11-11-11, 09:05 AM
TheDream
Rookie

You do realize that air is already about 78% nitrogen? They're molecular masses are close enough where it won't have much of a difference if any on tires.
On both the LS400 and Legend I've had the same exact tires (brigestone potenza pole positions) from costco (nitrogen) and discount tire (air) and I've felt no difference what so ever. It's more so a marketing gimmick than anything else.
EDIT: It's only worth it to use nitrogen if you're using steel wheels since air has some amount of water vapor in it that will cause the wheel to rust. Since you're using factory alloys you don't have to worry about it.
Old 11-11-11, 09:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Nitrogen does hold air pressure better.The problem is when you have to top off,where are you going to get nitrogen without paying and traveling to a shop.
Not worth the hassle.
Old 11-11-11, 10:32 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Nitrogen does hold air pressure better.The problem is when you have to top off,where are you going to get nitrogen without paying and traveling to a shop.
Not worth the hassle.
not only that, the "difference" isn't that huge...since as noted, regular air is already 78% nitrogen.

consumer reports tested this long term and found only a 1.3 psi difference after a year between air filled and nitrogen filled.

If you can get a nitrogen fill for free, great. It's marginally slower to leak out.

if it costs you anything, don't bother.

Last edited by Kurtz; 11-11-11 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-11-11, 10:42 AM
birador
Lead Lap

here's a little explanation about nitrogen,just click below

http://getnitrogen.org/why/
Old 11-11-11, 11:38 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Gimmick to sell people more crap they don't need...PASS!
Old 11-11-11, 11:41 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not needed. Unless you're doing competition and racing, that would be more applicable.
Old 11-11-11, 11:49 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by birador
here's a little explanation about nitrogen,just click below

http://getnitrogen.org/why/
Course... the owner of that website is Brian Brasch... who owns Branick Industries... which makes and sells...guess what?

Nitrogen tire inflation systems.
Old 11-11-11, 01:49 PM
Toymota
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure if it's free. But there's no way in hell I would pay for nitrogen.
Old 11-11-11, 02:10 PM
birador
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Course... the owner of that website is Brian Brasch... who owns Branick Industries... which makes and sells...guess what?

Nitrogen tire inflation systems.
i know it's another business propaganda,but that's how our world rotate,you think,you invest,you ads, and you earn as long as someone considering your stuff,it's the world we live in and people tend to try new stuff until such time they see that nothing has been ever done or change,it's how to get experience with new products by testing it to yourself
Old 11-11-11, 03:17 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know it's another business propaganda,but that's how our world rotate,you think,you invest,you ads, and you earn as long as someone considering your stuff,it's the world we live in and people tend to try new stuff until such time they see that nothing has been ever done or change,it's how to get experience with new products by testing it to yourself
Well, the point Kurt was trying to make is that there is a clear conflict of interest here.

As a consumer, which of the following is a better source to consult if you wanted to learn about the use of nitrogen for tire inflation -

1) The website of someone who has a vested, monetary interest in painting nitrogen inflation in the best light possible (http://getnitrogen.org/why/)

or

2) A peer-reviewed, scientific journal article from Tire Science and Technology - http://tiresciencetechnology.org/res...sAuthorized=no

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_Sc...and_Technology
Old 11-12-11, 07:34 AM
birador
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by syzygy
Well, the point Kurt was trying to make is that there is a clear conflict of interest here.

As a consumer, which of the following is a better source to consult if you wanted to learn about the use of nitrogen for tire inflation -

1) The website of someone who has a vested, monetary interest in painting nitrogen inflation in the best light possible (http://getnitrogen.org/why/)

or

2) A peer-reviewed, scientific journal article from Tire Science and Technology - http://tiresciencetechnology.org/res...sAuthorized=no

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_Sc...and_Technology
i respect those inputs but my point is that other people have/has different point of view-not everyone research first before trying something.
Old 11-12-11, 07:57 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

If I am near my dealer I stop in and ask them to check the tire presure. They will fill up with nitrogen. If am not near the dealer then I use regular air. It is not a big deal.
Old 11-12-11, 12:43 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

i respect those inputs but my point is that other people have/has different point of view-not everyone research first before trying something.
Yes, but the actual facts, as provided by people who are NOT trying to sell something to you, demonstrate that nitrogen is of very, very limited benefit in a normal street car. To the point that it's certainly not worth paying for, but hey, if you get it free, might as well.

Quick Reply: 2007 IS 350 with stock tires and rims. Smart to change from air to nitrogen?