Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

Almost DIED tonight thanks Ichiba V2 Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-11, 09:52 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed. It appears from the failure mode in the photos that the studs were poorly heat-treated. They may actually be too hard for the application, a problem exacerbated by poor threading. Look at the threads of the stud carefully. If the thread has a sharp "V" at the root rather than a slight rounding, that "notch" can create a stress-raiser that will focus loads at that point, eventually cracking the stud. If it is too hard, this can happen rather quickly. Mission critical fasteners are no place to trust second-rate products.
Old 11-08-11, 10:49 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed. Just for kicks, take a look at this chart

Almost DIED tonight thanks Ichiba V2 Spacers-czreq.jpg

Almost DIED tonight thanks Ichiba V2 Spacers-ovfjy.jpg

http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/bolts..._strength.html
Old 11-08-11, 11:52 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct, too many people out there on these spacers with too little known issues. I am glad you are ok.
Old 11-08-11, 02:47 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
The Ichiba V2 is hubcentric, he just doesn't have the center part in the picture. Unless of course he actually didn't put it in, in which case that may actually explain what happened.

Jeff
Originally Posted by relaxfoo
@ jeff lange I torqued to 76 ft/lbs, even if the studs were torqued to 80ft/lbs the bolts shouldn't snap like that. Im no mechanic but I know how to use a torque wrench.

@bamais like I said I used the hubcentric rings with the spacers. I'll like to see what kind of statement you would make if you were driving 75 mph on the highway and three studs broke off. There is a reason why the studs broke off the SPACERS and not the front wheels where there are NO spacers.

It can very well be my fault in terms of what happen but seriously installation of Ichiba V2 is a not very hard, I really doubt I over torqued it, I'm am pretty paranoid and **** when it comes to doing things.

I just wanted to share an event in my life with the forum and maybe save a member the hassle of going through the same thing.
Originally Posted by relaxfoo
@jeff
just to be even more thorough here is a better pic with the center part, I DIDN'T include the plastic hubcentric rings in the picture because it is currently being used for my rims. I'm not that ditzy to not use hubcentric rings for aftermarket rims.

Attachment 227574
Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Yeah I figured you probably used the spacer centers, was just explaining why they weren't in the picture.

Jeff
It was my understanding that hubcentric rings (which I always run) never assist in any way the weight of the wheel. In fact, my understanding is that they only assist in telling you that you have centered your wheel perfectly on the studs (via a star pattern during the install).
To know that you have your wheels on right you can, before installing the center cap, twirl the hubcentric ring around with your finger. If you can twirl it around in a 360degree way then your wheel is on correctly/perfectly. If you can't then one stud engagement has more "wheel" threaded onto it then the other studs... Is my understanding wrong?
Old 11-08-11, 04:22 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

sucks for me bc i just bought a set (20mm ichibas) from a member here on CL...
Old 11-08-11, 04:28 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Should definitely write a letter to the company and show them this thread. Glad ure ok bud
Old 11-08-11, 06:30 PM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CCJ22
It was my understanding that hubcentric rings (which I always run) never assist in any way the weight of the wheel. In fact, my understanding is that they only assist in telling you that you have centered your wheel perfectly on the studs (via a star pattern during the install).
To know that you have your wheels on right you can, before installing the center cap, twirl the hubcentric ring around with your finger. If you can twirl it around in a 360degree way then your wheel is on correctly/perfectly. If you can't then one stud engagement has more "wheel" threaded onto it then the other studs... Is my understanding wrong?
Unfortunately yes it is and so is a lot of other people's. I believed the same thing about hub rings until I did my own research and low and behold the number one reason the rings are loose is because of bad manufacturing of mass cheap hub rings. The stud were never meant to bear all the weight of that particular corner of the vehicle. On the contrary the hub is the main support for the wheel. Except one little problem, the market is flooded with junk hub rings and little knowledge in this. I'm more than positive that the forces supported by the extended Ichiba studs is less than that of the OEM higher quality studs.
Old 11-08-11, 08:03 PM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

thats scary... i have those same spacers on my car.. on all FOUR wheels... i dont have any problems with mines, but i kina overtightened them and CANT take them off!! i love the way they make my stockies look, but im freaking scared too..
Old 11-09-11, 01:40 AM
DIJohn46
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing. That should be really eye-opening for some of those that want to be flush or looking to go in that direction.
Old 11-09-11, 03:55 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DIJohn46
Thanks for sharing. That should be really eye-opening for some of those that want to be flush or looking to go in that direction.
Thats why you just buy the correct offset to be flush to begin with. And not have to use any spacers. But I know plenty of people with slip on spacers that have never had any issues. I wouldn't run bolt ons though.
Old 11-09-11, 06:21 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang that is some scary **** wonder what to do about the flush look without the risk of totaling your car
Old 11-09-11, 09:07 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Icy350
Dang that is some scary **** wonder what to do about the flush look without the risk of totaling your car
It's quite simple actually. The truth of the matter is people want a flush OEM look on their vehicle but aren't up for paying a premium for piece of mind. Instead people cheap out on one of the most important parts of the vehicle. In return you run a risk on complete catastrophic failure which can cost you more than the the price of a new IS.

Now imagine he was taking a high speed turn pushing high G's what would have happened then? It's obvious that they have mixed quality, not to mention low tolerances.

If you want high quality craftsmanship buy American made, German made or Japanese made Spacers with ARP Extended studs. That will guarantee that you will not have complete failure.

Another thing, hub rings are key to the right weight distribution, I'm not talking about cheap plastic rings that fit loose. That's junk. I'm talking about forged anodized aluminum billet, precise fit hub rings to allow the vehicles hub bore to bare all the weight.
Old 11-09-11, 10:57 AM
Hoac
Pole Position

I was considering picking up some spacers. After reading through this thread though I think i'm going to stay away. Play it safe even if these were just defective, who knows wheels are too critical for me to play around with them.
Old 11-09-11, 11:56 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Another thing to bring up, wheel studs on these vehicles were not meant to bare all the corner weight on them, if so they would have had higher ft lbs for torque specs. Not a measly 76ft lbs. So take that into consideration when you put all the corner weight on low budget studs with no proper support from the hub bore due to cheap hub rings. You're asking for trouble.

Originally Posted by Hoac
I was considering picking up some spacers. After reading through this thread though I think i'm going to stay away. Play it safe even if these were just defective, who knows wheels are too critical for me to play around with them.
Someone's misfortune with low budget Spacers shouldn't steer you away from Spacers all together. It's the same thing as replica wheels, they're just not as strong as the real deal. You basically get what you pay for.

A lot of high end sports cars use Spacers with absolutely no problem. The key is getting the right spacer and right studs for the job. You can get some H&R Spacers (studless) with ARP extended studs and I guarantee you won't have a problem.

Last edited by XhyDra; 11-09-11 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-09-11, 01:17 PM
relaxfoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XhyDra
Another thing to bring up, wheel studs on these vehicles were not meant to bare all the corner weight on them, if so they would have had higher ft lbs for torque specs. Not a measly 76ft lbs. So take that into consideration when you put all the corner weight on low budget studs with no proper support from the hub bore due to cheap hub rings. You're asking for trouble.

Someone's misfortune with low budget Spacers shouldn't steer you away from Spacers all together. It's the same thing as replica wheels, they're just not as strong as the real deal. You basically get what you pay for.

A lot of high end sports cars use Spacers with absolutely no problem. The key is getting the right spacer and right studs for the job. You can get some H&R Spacers (studless) with ARP extended studs and I guarantee you won't have a problem.
I wouldn't say Ichiba is low budget, their offices are based out of Cali. And I'm not steering anyone away from spacers in general (except Ichiba V2 bc I almost f'ed my car up), just trying to share a story and warn others to be extra careful if they are using the same spacers. And there are NO guarantees in life.

Quick Reply: Almost DIED tonight thanks Ichiba V2 Spacers