IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Brought home a tester IS today, looking to purchase it and need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-11, 04:08 PM
agrotech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brought home a tester IS today, looking to purchase it and need some advice.

deleted post

Last edited by agrotech; 05-09-21 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-02-11, 04:13 PM
bronz
Driver

that sound clicking sound is normal dude its the direct injectors all of the 2nd is models have that sound.

Last edited by bronz; 11-02-11 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-02-11, 04:24 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everything seems to be minor repairs.

The OEM lip you can find in the classified sometimes for about $50. Unless your going to MOD then u have nothing to worry about.

The rear vent is a simple thing. Go to dealership and ask for part number. should be able to order it online for much less and install shouldnt be hard.

Dont know about that spot being a rust spot, someone else chime in.

THAT noise is normal. I myself asked around when I first got the car, nothing to worry about.

The weather stripping going bad is also a common issue on this car, I havent fixed mine yet but I believe itll cost under $100 to fix, someone else chime in.

other than that, everything SEEMS to be ok.
have u looked at a carfax report? also autocheck?

Sometimes one has information the other doesnt.
Old 11-02-11, 04:35 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Engine sound is normal.
For the seats try some leather cleaner and conditioner. I recently got some from sewell and it really does a good job! 19$ for the set.
Like Vroomin350 said, front lip is no problem. I had a same issue when i bought mine it just wasn't cracked, just one part of the lip was pushed out a little bit. Good excuse to get a GFX front lip lol and thats what i did. And there are DIY's how to replace the lip, its pretty easy.
Now, before you purchase check the car fax and repair history from lexus.com. 44k, it still has a warranty so shouldn't be worried about the TSIB's, you can have them done if it wasn't done yet.
Oh and about the premium sound.. thats just dealers bs. For premium sound there should be Mark Levinson's logo on the unit.

Last edited by p0lo8; 11-02-11 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-02-11, 04:39 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good car. Everthing should be fixed under warranty.
Old 11-02-11, 04:45 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

It has the luxury package (so wood trim and heated/ventilated seats.) The stereo is the standard Pioneer system, the upgraded system is the Mark Levinson, which you don't have. Overall, with those miles, seems like a reasonable price.

1. Could probably get that part pretty cheap at the dealer but honestly not sure.
2. it's a used car, that seems pretty minor. Get some touch-up paint from the dealer.
3. I have a similar chip - again, touch-up paint
4. I actually just replaced that windshield molding on mine this weekend - <$100 for everything. Here's a good thread on it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...g-removal.html
5. Try 10:1 diluted Woolite and then some Lexol leather conditioner. That's what I use.
6. Cracked lip? Meh... It's bound to happen. Don't worry about it or go aftermarket.
7. Direct injection
8. You can get a free one when you register your car with Lexus. I think I paid $50 for the manual and leather case that comes standard with the car (mine was missing, too...)
Old 11-02-11, 04:48 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

The rear console vent **** isn't sold separately, you'd need to buy that rear panel, which is around $100.

Jeff
Old 11-02-11, 05:08 PM
agrotech
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!

deleted post

Last edited by agrotech; 05-09-21 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-02-11, 05:18 PM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by agrotech
4. Rubber near the windshield vipers seems to be deteriorating.
Personally I'd be more worried about those VIPERS!

car looks good and not bad for price, try and knock a couple off and see what they say.
Like others said, check the carfax and autocheck.
Old 11-02-11, 05:46 PM
deltadelta
Driver School Candidate

sounds like a good car.

but just FYI, i just bought a 2007 IS350, lux package, 18's, park assist, headlight washers with 47K for $23,000. oh, i also got a rear pair of bridgestone potenzas with about 9K on them. the car was meticulously maintained as verified by the lexus website (by VIN number).
Old 11-02-11, 05:48 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Get use to it Agrotech. This site is full of helpful people plus you dont get yelled at or put down by other members.
Old 11-02-11, 06:27 PM
birador
Lead Lap

that's the sound of lexus IS
Old 11-02-11, 06:34 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by agrotech
Holy crap you guys are amazing. I wasn't expecting this much help, especially within like an hour of posting.

Vroomin - Not yet, but I plan to check both tonight when I get a little bit more free time.

p0lo8 - TSIBs? And how do I check for sure if the car is still under warranty? It doesn't tell me on the lexus website even though I registered the car already.
TSIBs are small things that you can get warrantied for. They do not really affect the car so they are not classified as "recalls." Either way they are free, so like everyone else said, you can get the windshield molding fixed for free.

Your car should still be under warranty, its 5 years or 50,000 miles; whatever comes first.
Old 11-02-11, 06:48 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by edgeucated
TSIBs are small things that you can get warrantied for. They do not really affect the car so they are not classified as "recalls." Either way they are free, so like everyone else said, you can get the windshield molding fixed for free.

Your car should still be under warranty, its 5 years or 50,000 miles; whatever comes first.
Sorry this needs many clarifications. TSIB is a technical service bulletin that either 1) describes a process like how to program a key or perform an alignment, or 2) explains an issue affecting the car and how to fix it, for use at dealerships in diagnosing and fixing problems. TSIBs have nothing to do with warranty coverage - A TSIB is just a guide for dealerships, usually to diagnose and fix a problem (but not always). Each TSIB lists exactly what warranties it's covered under. Most all TSIBs will be covered by the factory warranty. After the factory warranty expires, most powertrain TSIBs will be covered under the powertrain warranty, but others will be out of pocket.

TSIBs can SEVERELY affect the car. Ask someone who's suffered from the carbon build-up issue on the IS250. Again, the designation of something as a TSIB has nothing to do with how it affects or doesn't affect a car. TSIBs can be issued for problems ranging from a $5 squeak fix to a $2000 cam gear replacement.

TSIBs are not free unless they're covered by a warranty. For example, if you're out of factory warranty, the dash rattle TSIB costs $1000+ to fix. If you're out of powertrain warranty, the cam gear TSIB costs $1600+ to fix. TSIBs are only free if you're within an applicable warranty.

Also, the factory warranty is 4 years/50k miles, not 5 years. You should check the in-service date for the car, because if it was in 2007, your car could be out of warranty even if it's a 2008. Make sure to find out whether it's still under factory warranty or not.

Last edited by calvin2376; 11-02-11 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-02-11, 06:57 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Start your search here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html

Check the dealer service history, check Autocheck and Carfax, check the car for the common issues above, etc. The dealer service history should give you the details on when it was bought/in service, and that should tell you if it's still under warranty. The previous owner should know as well. If it's still under factory warranty, take it to a dealership and get the windshield weatherstripping and vent piece replaced for free (the latter might not technically be covered, but I doubt they'd put up a fuss).

Car doesn't have premium audio (Mark Levinson).

Also, I just did an Autotrader search and found tons of 2008 IS250s with mileage from 30-50k for around $21,500, so I'm not sure it's a fantastic deal. Just make sure you do your homework.

Quick Reply: Brought home a tester IS today, looking to purchase it and need some advice.