ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   Rear Axle Problems (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/598587-rear-axle-problems.html)

ssmeev 10-19-11 12:14 PM

Rear Axle Problems

I have an 06 IS 250 awd with 73K... I've been informed that both left and right sides are leaking around the seals. The boots are not torn or have any damage at all. Lexus dealership has told me they haven't seen any others come in with this problem. Has anyone else had any axle problems? I have a call into Lexus to see they can help with the $4000 they say it will cost to fix.

llamaboiz 10-19-11 12:25 PM

4k to replace axles??? what are they made of~ GOLD???

KillaIS250 10-19-11 12:34 PM

Seems to me like the dealer is just trynna screw you out of a large amount of $$. I would take it elsewhere and have it inspected first.

BamaIS 10-19-11 12:40 PM

There was someone on here that said they had the same leak you have and their mechanic was going to seal the area with epoxy. I never saw a follow up though. Is yours slinging fluid on the inside of the rear wheels? MIne does this a little bit, but it's not bad enough to have to repair at this point.

Here is the thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...questions.html

ssmeev 10-19-11 04:35 PM

thanks so much for the link..!!

Gville350 10-19-11 06:07 PM

Ah yes, the bad axle. And the $4k the dealership wanted to charge you was for what...a new rearend and axles? Geez!

IS250jessi 03-25-15 06:11 PM

Me too

Right rear axle clicking noise, slinging oil, I can't even find a new or used replacement because apparently everyone needs to replace it :/

hirsch2is 03-25-15 08:49 PM

You can't replace boots on these that's why the axle is so much money. I work at a Toyota dealer so I get them cheaper but even for me they are outrageous. Plus like the service writer told you these axles never ever go bad because your not dealing with the outer boot constantly being turned in different defections. The fact that there is no demand also drives the price up

EJW1381 12-01-16 08:53 AM

OK, so my girlfriends car is having another issue with the axles leaking. We got two quotes from shops and they are roughly in the same ball park. It can range from 1700 to 2400 installed just for the rears. It is a intermediate fix at the moment but I still thinks is crazy to charge that much for the axles to be replaced. Has anyone gotten these done or found aftermarket?

RussZTT 12-02-16 12:57 PM

Mine recently started clicked when I turn right. Not getting any oil slung on the wheel but I do see a few drops of dif oil on the garage floor. Wondering if I need to replace the entire axle? I can do it myself.

Gville350 12-02-16 01:08 PM

Yes, this definitely a DIY job...as long as you have the correct tools and can get your hands on new/reman half shafts. If you have a place to work on the car, instead of paying someone to do it, purchase the tools necessary to do the job yourself at a fraction of the cost. Besides basic wrenches and sockets, you might need a large socket (22mm?) for the large nut and a pry bar to help wiggle the shaft out of the carrier.

Good luck!

Solara350 12-02-16 01:50 PM

Axle ? You mean driveshaft ? In Toronto Canada it costs me 450$ cnd to replace the right rear driveshaft aftermarket one , so all 4 would cost 2000$ including labor .

UnderCover 12-02-16 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Solara350 (Post 9696118)
Axle ? You mean driveshaft ? In Toronto Canada it costs me 450$ cnd to replace the right rear driveshaft aftermarket one , so all 4 would cost 2000$ including labor .

Axles are the little half shafts that go from the center differentials to the wheels, you have 4 of those in AWD and 2 in RWD in the rear. The drive shaft is the LONG shaft from the back of the transmission to the rear differential.

Solara350 12-02-16 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by UnderCover (Post 9696272)
Axles are the little half shafts that go from the center differentials to the wheels, you have 4 of those in AWD and 2 in RWD in the rear. The drive shaft is the LONG shaft from the back of the transmission to the rear differential.

oh I see thanks for the information , ya I replace them cheap here in Toronto

Sbier 05-08-17 08:20 AM

Having issues with 06 is250 ds rear axel

Had my hub assembly and rear brakes and rotors changed, now my car literally sounds like a helicopter. Very loud noise coming from ds rear. I Had it looked at was told my wheel bearing ( which i just had changed about a month ago) is bad because my axel and spindle bolts are stripped! Not sure how all that happened. Trying to get the rear axel changed but the mechanic i talked to said he can't get the bolts out. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2006 Lexus is250
127,000 miles
awd